Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:27
Member (2016)
English to German
... Mar 4, 2022

Jan Truper wrote:

If I was a maniac with mid-sized weaponry, I could make parts of Europe inhabitable for eons.

I would really hate to be right on this.

P.L.F. Persio

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:27
French to Chinese
+ ...
Universal application Mar 8, 2022

Jan Truper wrote:

2 quotes from the Wikipedia article I linked:

"The French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA) has concluded that technical innovation cannot eliminate the risk of human errors in nuclear plant operation."

The risk of human errors? Isn't it universally applicable to every aspect of our life?

"An interdisciplinary team from MIT has estimated that given the expected growth of nuclear power from 2005 to 2055, at least four serious nuclear accidents would be expected in that period."

Time for a countdown? ...20- been gone, and 30+ to go.

Since when are we no longer skeptical about everything?

Taking no position in the approach of German energy, but would love to know your opinions on the upcoming(?) inflation from every angle.

[Edited at 2022-03-08 04:38 GMT]

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Mar 8, 2022

LIZ LI wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:

"The French Atomic Energy Commission (CEA) has concluded that technical innovation cannot eliminate the risk of human errors in nuclear plant operation."

The risk of human errors? Isn't it universally applicable to every aspect of our life?

Exactly -- which is why a technology with such absolute destructive properties has no place in human hands (neither for energy generation, nor for military applications).

LIZ LI wrote:

Taking no position in the approach of German energy, but would love to know your opinions on the upcoming(?) inflation from every angle.

Sorry, my knowledge of the inner mechanics of freewheeling capitalism is not sufficient to add anything relevant to that aspect of the discussion.

P.L.F. Persio

LIZ LI
China
French to Chinese
+ ...
@Jan Mar 8, 2022

Jan Truper wrote:

LIZ LI wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:

Exactly -- which is why a technology with such absolute destructive properties has no place in human hands (neither for energy generation, nor for military applications).

In my dictionary, human beings are THE destructive species amongst all.
So, our very own destructive nature it is.
Life itself is a risky adventure, but it doesn't mean that we have to stop evolving (or not).
Personally, I think Germany could have been THE good hands to handle nuclear...

Mr. Satan (X)
Peter Motte

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.... Mar 8, 2022

Jan Truper wrote:

Peter Motte wrote

Germany shut down its nuclear reactors after the Fukushima incident, because the greens said that something like that can happen in Europe too (which is a lie),

It was a lie, because we can't have tsunami in Europe, and certainly not of the size of the Fukushima disaster.
Morever, there was a safety system at Fukushima which had to be checked every ten years, and it was 11 years ago it was checked.

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.... Mar 8, 2022

LIZ LI wrote:
In my dictionary, human beings are THE destructive species amongst all.
So, our very own destructive nature it is.
Life itself is a risky adventure, but it doesn't mean that we have to stop evolving (or not).
Personally, I think Germany could have been THE good hands to handle nuclear...

Since the 1990's, when we learned there was a CO2-problem, opposition to nuclear energy should have been stopped.
However, most nuclear reactors were shut down or phased out AFTER we knew that.

Which just shows how slow politics works.

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Incredible Mar 8, 2022

It's amazing how a discussion on translation prices turned into a discussion on energy politics.

LIZ LI
China
French to Chinese
+ ...
My bad Mar 9, 2022

Peter Motte wrote:

It's amazing how a discussion on translation prices turned into a discussion on energy politics.

Getting back to the topic from where I stand,
Covid probably the biggest factor of a much higher production cost: less productive work forces due to on-going restrictions ever since the outbreak, though limited & slow-paced recovery.

According to some local news, we signed a 30-year contract with Russia for gas supply back in 2018 at somewhere around 350USD...
Looks promising for reselling!

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good luck Mar 9, 2022

I whish you good luck.

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sad, Isn't It? Mar 12, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

In Boston, $5 for a single tomato and nearly $5 for a loaf of bread. Biden's America. No longer energy independent.

Not only for citizens of the US, but for the entire world. If Biden would only open the Keystone Pipeline back up, gasoline/petrol would be a whole hell of a lot cheaper, not only for Americans, but for countries that might decide to buy it from us. The United States has more oil under its ground than any other country in the world, even more than Saudi Arabia. Poor people over here who have to have a car will suffer the most: they can't afford what I call the "Joe Biden/Elon Musk special": an electric vehicle, which currently costs a a "cool" 50 grand in the US. And they will not be able to afford $6.00 a gallon gas, which is already what it costs in some parts of California, either

[Edited at 2022-03-12 16:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-03-12 16:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-03-12 16:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-03-12 18:55 GMT]

Gerard Barry

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Prices and inflation? Apr 8, 2022

I read that we are risking rather stagflation now, due to the geo-military-political situation that we all know
Now add that nobody knows when it will possibly end

I was always an optimist, so far...
YUK

P.L.F. Persio

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Prices and inflation Apr 8, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

CPI_2graph202201_en

We managed to cut our heating bill in half by switching from gas to electricity and by switching from T shirts and shorts to jerseys and trousers.

[Edited at 2022-02-15 11:27 GMT]

unfortunately, many countries produce electricity with gas...
and I use jerseys and trousers already

I can certainly start dressing like a Inuit and move into an igloo, but it's not ideal because I have 20 °C now in my garden

P.L.F. Persio

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No stagflation Apr 8, 2022

There won't be any stagflation.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Stagflation Apr 8, 2022

Peter Motte wrote:

There won't be any stagflation.

Because?

P.L.F. Persio
TonyTK

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Peter, ... Apr 9, 2022

Peter Motte wrote:

Germany shut down its nuclear reactors after the Fukushima incident, because the greens said that something like that can happen in Europe too (which is a lie),

... that's not the case. The Greens weren't in power at the time; it was the centre-right government (CDU-FDP) under Angela Merkel that pushed for nuclear exit after Fukushima.

No offence, but there are multiple inaccuracies in just the one sentence.

P.L.F. Persio
Jan Truper
Rita Translator

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prices and inflation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »