Germany
Local time: 05:27
Member (2016)
English to German
nuclear OT Feb 24, 2022

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:

I'm one of the "green people" in Germany

I'm one of the green people, too. So I ask: why is Germany shutting down their nuclear reactors and hippity hoppity went back to coal energy?

Germany's decision to phase out nuclear power was made in 2000 by a coalition of Social Democrats and Greens, based on arguments such as this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-nuclear_movement#Concerns_about_nuclear_power

The phase-out was expedited by Chancellor Angela Merkel in 2011, in reaction to the Fukushima disaster (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_nuclear_disaster).

By the way, the German Green Party pretty much emerged from the anti-nuclear movement.
For me personally, the fact that there is no viable solution for radioactive waste makes nuclear power an absolute no-go.

And what a coincidence: I am currently translating a documentary about the 1979 accident in the US nuclear power plant Three Mile Island and subsequent cover-up efforts.

P.L.F. Persio
Mr. Satan (X)

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Coal vs. Nuke Feb 24, 2022

Jan Truper wrote:

For me personally, the fact that there is no viable solution for radioactive waste makes nuclear power an absolute no-go.

I totally get your point. But between coal and nuclear energy, the former pumps more CO2 emission to the air. Going back to it would be counterproductive now, wouldn't it?

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Feb 24, 2022

Novian Cahyadi wrote:
I totally get your point. But between coal and nuclear energy, the former pumps more CO2 emission to the air. Going back to it would be counterproductive now, wouldn't it?

They are both horrible options, which is why renewables are the only way forward.

Mr. Satan (X)
Tom in London

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Que? Feb 24, 2022

Paul Lambert wrote:
No. Inflation is, by definition, is the increase in the money supply. A general rise in prices is the result of inflation.

Not blaming you for the confusion either. This matter is very, very poorly discussed in the mainstream.

IANAE but that doesn’t stack up. Inflation is the process of getting bigger. Price inflation is prices rising. End of. The causes may vary.

An increase in the money supply is an increase in the money supply. The extra cash may or may not be spent on stuff, pushing up prices.

Your use of “mainstream” worries me. Am I a sheeple?

Either way, prices haven’t risen due to QE but because of Covid, Ukraine, Suez etc.

LIZ LI
Kaspars Melkis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
I agree, but... Feb 24, 2022

...until we reach the point where renewables have the same/better cost efficiency compared to fossil fuels, we need to fill-in the gap to provide us enough electricity. The fact that Germany (and perhaps other countries) switched back to coal only shows that the cleaner alternatives couldn't keep up with our energy consumption yet. And among all the options we currently have, nuclear energy is the lesser evil.

While we may not be doing a very good job at nuclear waste management, at
... See more
...until we reach the point where renewables have the same/better cost efficiency compared to fossil fuels, we need to fill-in the gap to provide us enough electricity. The fact that Germany (and perhaps other countries) switched back to coal only shows that the cleaner alternatives couldn't keep up with our energy consumption yet. And among all the options we currently have, nuclear energy is the lesser evil.

While we may not be doing a very good job at nuclear waste management, at least we can contain it to some degree. On the contrary, if the North and South Poles completely melted, we're screwed. And they are melting fast.

Ignoring minor disagreement aside, at least we both agree that fossil fuels need to die, immediately.

Jan Truper wrote:

They are both horrible options, which is why renewables are the only way forward.

[Edited at 2022-02-24 13:06 GMT]
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
You are not very well... Feb 24, 2022

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

.... The fact that Germany (and perhaps other countries) switched back to coal only shows that the cleaner alternatives couldn't keep up with our energy consumption yet. And among all the options ]

... informed, I'm afraid:
Germany did not "switch back" to coal. Coal fired thermal power plants never were switched off completely, that's all.

Mr. Satan (X)

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
. Feb 24, 2022

Jan Truper wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:
It's like all the "green people" here in Germany: they're usually high earners and don't seem to care that poorer people might have difficulty heating their homes thanks to Germany's obsession with expensive renewable energy.

I'm one of the "green people" in Germany, and I care (so do most other "green people" I know, by the way, as they tend to be rather empathetic). Please tone down your baseless slander.

Oh I don't think Green voters are more empathetic than anyone else. In fact, I don't think that a person's voting preferences have anything to do with character traits like empathy and so on. But I do think it is fair to say that the average Green voter earns an above-average salary and therefore isn't as affected by inflation as less well-off people are.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 22:27
English to Russian
+ ...
Or Feb 24, 2022

their parents do

Gerard Barry wrote:

... the average Green voter earns an above-average salary .

Gerard Barry

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
. Feb 24, 2022

IrinaN wrote:

their parents do

Gerard Barry wrote:

... the average Green voter earns an above-average salary .

Yes, absolutely. It's very easy to be "idealistic" when Mommy and Daddy are both well-paid professionals.

IrinaN
Daryo

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Done Feb 24, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Paul Lambert wrote:
No. Inflation is, by definition, is the increase in the money supply. A general rise in prices is the result of inflation.

Not blaming you for the confusion either. This matter is very, very poorly discussed in the mainstream.

IANAE but that doesn’t stack up. Inflation is the process of getting bigger. Price inflation is prices rising. End of. The causes may vary.

An increase in the money supply is an increase in the money supply. The extra cash may or may not be spent on stuff, pushing up prices.

Your use of “mainstream” worries me. Am I a sheeple?

Either way, prices haven’t risen due to QE but because of Covid, Ukraine, Suez etc.

I have explained it in as a straightforward a way as I can. Those of you who want to argue with me or choose to misunderstand will do so without me.
I am ending my participation in this thread now since this discussion is about to go off on a tangent.
The rest of you knock yourselves out.

[Edited at 2022-02-24 21:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-24 21:37 GMT]

Jorge Payan
Gerard Barry

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Gerard Feb 25, 2022

Gerard Barry wrote:

Sorry but you did say that you were against employers giving their workers pay rises. And as for less well-off people having their bills subsidised "somehow", do you mean by the state? That might mean governments raising taxes and/or incurring more debt. No thanks. Let employers - at least the ones that can afford it - pay their workers a living wage.

Sorry, missed that before, it’s all out of sync. No I really didn’t say that. Raising wages has all kinds of knock-on effects is all. Obviously people should be paid a fair wage.

It needs to be government subsidising the poor because the ones who are struggling are generally not working.

P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Paul Feb 25, 2022

Paul Lambert wrote:
I have explained it in as a straightforward a way as I can. Those of you who want to argue with me or choose to misunderstand will do so without me.
I am ending my participation in this thread now since this discussion is about to go off on a tangent.
The rest of you knock yourselves out.

[Edited at 2022-02-24 21:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-24 21:37 GMT]

That’s a shame. I was looking forward to finding out more about this idea and/or where it’s from.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Ah, so that's how it is. Feb 25, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:

You are not very well informed, I'm afraid:
Germany did not "switch back" to coal. Coal fired thermal power plants never were switched off completely, that's all.

Thanks for confirming, Matthias. My source of information regarding this matter mostly came from Texas. So it's nice to have actual Germans explaining the issue.

Would you be so kind and give a link to back your statement? Any language is fine. I may bring it in my next powwow, depending on the content itself.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:27
Member (2008)
Italian to English
For anyone who wants serious discussion about the problem of nuclear waste Feb 25, 2022

Here's an interesting read.

"Holding in the deep: what Canada wants to do with its decades-old pileup of nuclear waste"

https://thenarwhal.ca/nuclear-waste-ignace-bruce/

P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Because you were first ... Feb 25, 2022

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

You are not very well informed, I'm afraid:

Thanks for confirming, Matthias. My source of information regarding this matter mostly came from Texas. So it's nice to have actual Germans explaining the issue.

Would you be so kind and give a link to back your statement? Any language is fine. I may bring it in my next powwow, depending on the content itself.

... I'll be waiting for the source you quoted from. Meanwhile, you are free to study the following article about the situation for Germany in general concerning coal-fired power plants:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohleausstieg#Deutschland

In English I could provide the following source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_phase-out#Germany
(see point 1.4.6)

Hope, that helps so far.

Mr. Satan (X)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prices and inflation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »