Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
Prices and inflation
Thread poster: Peter Motte
Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Are you sure? Feb 19, 2022

Peter Motte wrote:

Translation prices are clearly going up these days.

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:26
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Feb 19, 2022

yes

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:26
Japanese to English
+ ...
prices and inflation Feb 20, 2022

7 % inflation in the US, 15 % if gas and food are factored in.

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
. Feb 20, 2022

Peter Motte wrote:

There is a light storm here going on at the moment. 20 years ago we didn't have that.
During the last years it happened twice that approximetaly 5 years fell down during such heavy winds.

Twenty years ago you didn't have storms in Belgium?

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
20 years ago today Feb 21, 2022

20 years ago is 2002.
I don't remember exactly, but the past weekend we had three in a row, and lots of damages.
Around 1980 we could have storms at the coast, but not often in our neighboorhoud.

P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
topic Feb 21, 2022

Let me return to prices and inflation. Increasing your tariff to keep up with inflation is a snake eating its own tail. We need to keep inflation under control. What is inflation? I'm not an economist so I've never been able to get a firm grasp on what causes it. But what I do know is that unless we're careful, it can get out of control

https://tinyurl.com/y3tw9odc

[Edited
... See more
Let me return to prices and inflation. Increasing your tariff to keep up with inflation is a snake eating its own tail. We need to keep inflation under control. What is inflation? I'm not an economist so I've never been able to get a firm grasp on what causes it. But what I do know is that unless we're careful, it can get out of control

https://tinyurl.com/y3tw9odc

[Edited at 2022-02-21 14:05 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:26
Japanese to English
+ ...
Prices and inflation Feb 22, 2022

In Boston, $5 for a single tomato and nearly $5 for a loaf of bread. Biden's America. No longer energy independent.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Central banks Feb 22, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

We need to keep inflation under control.

Not an economist either, but I always thought that managing the inflation is the domain of your national central bank? If so, there's nothing we, as citizens, can do to keep it under control. I'd imagine global trades would make this to be a much more complicated matter as well (i.e. scarcity of commodities seems to affect the inflation rate considerably, if not the main factor that causes it).

@Economists
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'd like to know myself.

[Edited at 2022-02-22 04:26 GMT]

Peter Motte
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Inflation Feb 22, 2022

Tom is right that it would be bad for employers in general to raise wages in line with the current spike in inflation because it would trigger a wage-price spiral and the higher rate of inflation would persist due to people having more money to spend, whereas if we ride it out for a few months things should settle down.

The trouble is that people who don’t understand this, such as most politicians, start making an issue of it.

To be fair, though, inflation, like mone
... See more
Tom is right that it would be bad for employers in general to raise wages in line with the current spike in inflation because it would trigger a wage-price spiral and the higher rate of inflation would persist due to people having more money to spend, whereas if we ride it out for a few months things should settle down.

The trouble is that people who don’t understand this, such as most politicians, start making an issue of it.

To be fair, though, inflation, like money, just gets weirder the more you think about it.

But I’m not convinced that a few translators raising their rates will have much effect on consumer prices.

$5 for a tomato? And all down to a change of president? Pull the other one.
Collapse

Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
Mr. Satan (X)
Laura Massara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
writeaway

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fight inflation Feb 22, 2022

It's true that if everybody's raising prices inflation will rise, but are you willing to sacrifice yourself to work at low wages so that people who get the raise will be able to pay you, but you won't be able to pay them?

Gerard Barry

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Tomato Feb 22, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

$5 for a tomato

As soon as people notice that inflation has become a talking point, they will immediately start putting up their prices. That's what makes inflation generate more inflation, and so on, like a serpent eating its own tail.

It's a safe bet that translation agencies have already increased their prices to their clients (but not the rates they pay their translators).

However: although Biden is currently the President of the US, inflation is happening everywhere - not only in America.

P.L.F. Persio
Mr. Satan (X)
Adieu
writeaway
Rita Translator

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:26
English to Russian
+ ...
What else is there to do? Feb 22, 2022

I can't just sit and watch things get more expensive everyday without fighting back by earning more on my side. Inflation has become so visible during the last 3-4 months, so yes I have started to raise my rates, which is more or less successful depending on the client. I still have to think how to handle the everyday living costs and leave the global matters to economists and governments. I guess it's easier to speculate about economic theories living in more stable countries in Europe, but I c... See more
I can't just sit and watch things get more expensive everyday without fighting back by earning more on my side. Inflation has become so visible during the last 3-4 months, so yes I have started to raise my rates, which is more or less successful depending on the client. I still have to think how to handle the everyday living costs and leave the global matters to economists and governments. I guess it's easier to speculate about economic theories living in more stable countries in Europe, but I can't really see what else there is to do with inflation at 'personal' level.Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Gerard Barry
Peter Motte
Inez Ulrich

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
. Feb 23, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

To be fair, though, inflation, like money, just gets weirder the more you think about it.

But I’m not convinced that a few translators raising their rates will have much effect on consumer prices.

$5 for a tomato? And all down to a change of president? Pull the other one.

So you'll continue to charge high prices that enable you to have a good standard of living but you don't want to see the lowest paid workers in the economy earn a little more to match inflation? That seems a bit selfish.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Aren't we all? Feb 23, 2022

Gerard Barry wrote:

That seems a bit selfish.

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
. Feb 23, 2022

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

That seems a bit selfish.

I suppose so, yes. But I am still sometimes shocked when the comfortably off seem not to care about those less wealthy than themselves. It's like all the "green people" here in Germany: they're usually high earners and don't seem to care that poorer people might have difficulty heating their homes thanks to Germany's obsession with expensive renewable energy.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prices and inflation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »