software / programs for spell checking bilingual documents Nadvädzujúci príspevok na vyvesovateľa: SchweineKarl
|
Hello everybody,
I often have bilingual documents (German/Russian or English/Russian) and I would like to know whether there any programs that check the Russian spelling, while ignoring the other language.
Thanks for the feedback.
Regards,
Carel. | | | | Joakim Braun Švédsko Local time: 12:08 nemčina -> švédčina + ...
In MS Word, mark your language-specific text correctly (Tools->Languages).
Then you can toggle "Do not check spelling or grammar" for each document language.
I don't use Word spellcheck myself, but this seems to work. Though in practise the solution is only usable for bilingual tables such as a CAT tool would produce (language-specific text needs to be easily selectable). | | | | SchweineKarl Local time: 12:08 nemčina -> angličtina + ... TOPIC STARTER | Spellchecking bilingual documents | Jul 8, 2025 |
Hi Joakim,
Thanks for the tip; I will give it a try.
Regards,
Carel. | | | | Samuel Murray Holandsko Local time: 12:08 Člen (2006) angličtina -> afrikánčina + ...
SchweineKarl wrote:
I often have bilingual documents (German/Russian or English/Russian) and I would like to know whether there any programs that check the Russian spelling, while ignoring the other language.
In Word, if you are able to, select the entire document and change its language to something and check the box "do not spellcheck". Then, select the Russian text, and change it's language to Russian, and do not check the box "do not spellcheck".
I believe you can change all Russian text to the Russian language using a wildcard find/replace operation in Word. I haven't tested it but I think this would work:
1. In Word, press Ctrl+H, then click "More".
2. Add this in the "Find" field:
[АаБбВвГгДдЕеЁёЖжЗзИиЙйКкЛлМмНнОоПпРрСсТтУуФфХхЦцЧчШшЩщЪъЫыЬьЭэЮюЯяЂђЃѓЄєЅѕІіЇїЈјЉљЊњЋћЌќЎўЏџҐґӘәӨөҮүҚқҢңҺһҔҕҘҙҪҫҰұҶҷӀӏӁӂӃӄӅӆӇӈӉӊӋӌ]
3. Tick "Use wildcards".
4. Click in the "Replace" field.
5. Click Format > Language.
6. Select Russian and don't select "Do not check spelling".
7. Replace all.
#2 is basically all Russian letters plus a square bracket before and after it.
If you are not able to select the Russian text (i.e. it would be too cumbersome), then I'm afraid AI is your only other option.
[Edited at 2025-07-08 09:46 GMT] | | |
|
|
|
SchweineKarl Local time: 12:08 nemčina -> angličtina + ... TOPIC STARTER | Spellchecking bilingual documents | Jul 8, 2025 |
Hi Samuel,
Thanks for taking the time to write this great tip.
I will definitely try this.
Regards,
Carel from Holland. | | | | To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator: You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request » software / programs for spell checking bilingual documents | Protemos translation business management system | Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!
The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.
More info » |
| | Trados Business Manager Lite | Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio
Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.
More info » |
|
| | | | X Sign in to your ProZ.com account... | | | | | |