Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
US sanctions against Russia: cost for the EU translation industry
Thread poster: Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Trados restrictions Mar 20, 2022

Utterly mindboggling "initiative" from RWS, to lock out and alienate users like that.

This is some heavy handed double facepalm stuff...

Christel Zipfel
Mr. Satan (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Gerard Barry
Angie Garbarino

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:36
French to Chinese
+ ...
Both Ukrainian & Russian Mar 21, 2022

TonyTK wrote:

LIZ LI wrote:

Consider them being held hostage by those politicians (rivals), physically or financially.

Which politicians?

I suspect many of us will be impacted by current events. This kind of collateral damage is unfair but sadly inevitable given the circumstances.

It was, is and is always going to be civilians of the two countries in war who suffered and keep suffering.

And I start to believe the whole world is going to suffer from this chaos with the on-going inflation and else.

Why those Ukrainian refugees become refugees?
Why ordinary Russians have to be sanctioned?
Why such inflation for the rest of the world?

For me, those politicians are responsible for all these things.
For the record, I mean both Putin & Zelensky.
And quite obviously, not to mention other leaders all around the world.

erika rubinstein
Vladimir Filipenko
Liudmila Churikova

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Local time: 07:36
Italian to English
+ ...
Difficult to assess Mar 21, 2022

LIZ LI wrote:

Why ordinary Russians have to be sanctioned?
Why such inflation for the rest of the world?

For the record, I mean both Putin & Zelensky.
And quite obviously, not to mention other leaders all around the world.

The thread is supposedly about the effect of US sanctions only though.

How we can assess this effect, net of the rest of the effects of the war, or of sanctions by other countries/ political entities? For example, you mention inflation: Ukraine grain exports will be wiped out, causing shortages and price rises across the globe, but these will be due to the war rather than sanctions.

I have difficulty in understanding the exact effect on the EU translation industry of sanctions if we propose to exclude UK and EU sanctions from our assessments. I would have thought that EU sanctions, first and foremost, would have a direct effect on RU-EU language combinations, since they would curtail relevant trade.

[Edited at 2022-03-21 16:26 GMT]

Anna A. K.
Anna A. K.  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
Not only politicians Mar 21, 2022

LIZ LI wrote:

Everyone who participates in this insanity of sanctions in any way is responsible for keeping the war alive, not only politicians.

Right now the public hatred of everything that is Russian has reached fever pitch. Supermarket chains are delisting products of Russian origin, banks are freezing the accounts of Russian businessmen, Russian banks have been excluded from the SWIFT system, doctors are refusing to treat Russians, landlords are kicking out Russians, the content of RT and Sputnik is being censored in the EU...the list goes on.

What is striking in any case is that each and everyone can join the war from almost their homes this time.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-03-21 19:12 GMT]

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:36
French to Chinese
+ ...
Exterritoriality Mar 22, 2022

Tony Keily wrote:

The thread is supposedly about the effect of US sanctions only though.

How we can assess this effect, net of the rest of the effects of the war, or of sanctions by other countries/ political entities? For example, you mention inflation: Ukraine grain exports will be wiped out, causing shortages and price rises across the globe, but these will be due to the war rather than sanctions.

I have difficulty in understanding the exact effect on the EU translation industry of sanctions if we propose to exclude UK and EU sanctions from our assessments. I would have thought that EU sanctions, first and foremost, would have a direct effect on RU-EU language combinations, since they would curtail relevant trade.

[Edited at 2022-03-21 16:26 GMT]

US sanctions are claimed to be exterritorial.
By paying someone "blacklisted" in USD from anywhere in the world, you'll be involved...
Maybe the Moon and Mars are excluded. Not sure about that.

Translated a course from EN to ZH months ago about sanctions for a US client.
Translating a training material from FR to ZH right now about sanctions for a French client.
Conclusion?

But you're right, my previous post was a bit off-topic.
My bad.

Tony Keily

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
It wasn't really your post at all... Mar 22, 2022

...it was the more general point of how to untangle effects, since all of the individual components of the crisis (war, UK-EU or US sanctions, etc.) could have negative repercussions.

I should say that I have no problem about discussing the effect of US sanctions in particular, net of the other effects, but I'm not sure how to do it!

In my personal case, the main problem is inflation. This will be caused by sanctions/embargoes by all parties, but also by the disruptio
... See more
...it was the more general point of how to untangle effects, since all of the individual components of the crisis (war, UK-EU or US sanctions, etc.) could have negative repercussions.

I should say that I have no problem about discussing the effect of US sanctions in particular, net of the other effects, but I'm not sure how to do it!

In my personal case, the main problem is inflation. This will be caused by sanctions/embargoes by all parties, but also by the disruption caused by the conflict itself: supply chains in staples (corn and corn oil), already badly affected by the COVID pandemic, will be further hit by interrupted production and unavailable trade routes. Inflation is normally good for employers (at least as regards pay-related questions) and bad for workers. It also incentivises bill-payers to push out payment dates so that they can take advantage of the discounts afforded in real terms.
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sanctions against Russia Mar 25, 2022

There seems to be a cottage industry for translation of birth certificates, college diplomas and other documentation for Russians who are leaving Russia and emigrating to the west. I am swamped. There should be a market for these in the EU. It would be charitable to give a discount on these because these people are desperate.

Tony Keily

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Desperate perhaps but not short of funds Mar 25, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

There seems to be a cottage industry for translation of birth certificates, college diplomas and other documentation for Russians who are leaving Russia and emigrating to the west. I am swamped. There should be a market for these in the EU. It would be charitable to give a discount on these because these people are desperate.

I don't agree that translators should give Russians emigrating to the west any discount. I don't have the impression that they are exactly short of funds.

Angie Garbarino

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
Japanese to English
+ ...
US Sanctions Mar 27, 2022

It depends on the case, obviously. Many Russians cannot access funds via their ATMs. Many young people are going to Istanbul or Yerevan literally with the clothes on their back. Many Russians who have spoken out against the war have lost their jobs and therefore have limited funds. It's not going to break me to give them a break. After all, they are not oligarchs fleeing to Dubai.

P.L.F. Persio
Adieu
Tony Keily
Vladimir Filipenko

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jobless Mar 28, 2022

As a conference interpreter for Russian I am almost jobless now. The refugee market is not a serious job oppurtunity, because they expect you to work for free or hire someone who is paid lower than cleaning services. Yes, there are a lot of people needing their documents to be translated, but this either brings you a reasonable income, just peanuts. Already with the coronavirus there was a market decline of about 70 % for interpreters, now there is nothing left. The Western companies dont want t... See more
As a conference interpreter for Russian I am almost jobless now. The refugee market is not a serious job oppurtunity, because they expect you to work for free or hire someone who is paid lower than cleaning services. Yes, there are a lot of people needing their documents to be translated, but this either brings you a reasonable income, just peanuts. Already with the coronavirus there was a market decline of about 70 % for interpreters, now there is nothing left. The Western companies dont want to work with Russia any more. And you can not just change the language, because the other colleagues also protect their markets and just dont let you in. No solution or just to learn a new profession.Collapse

Zamira B.
Tony Keily
P.L.F. Persio
Kaspars Melkis
Liudmila Churikova

Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Eugenio Garcia-Salmones  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think there are some very strong months ahead Mar 28, 2022

erika rubinstein wrote:

As a conference interpreter for Russian I am almost jobless now. The refugee market is not a serious job oppurtunity, because they expect you to work for free or hire someone who is paid lower than cleaning services. Yes, there are a lot of people needing their documents to be translated, but this either brings you a reasonable income, just peanuts. Already with the coronavirus there was a market decline of about 70 % for interpreters, now there is nothing left. The Western companies dont want to work with Russia any more. And you can not just change the language, because the other colleagues also protect their markets and just dont let you in. No solution or just to learn a new profession.

I think there are some very strong months ahead for the RU-DE,EN,ES,FR etc. pairs. As our colleague Erika says translating birth certificates is not enough to live in the EU. I personally work with two more pairs, but one of them is Chinese and I am afraid that the next target of the USA sanctions will be China, so I see the near future quite complicated.

Cordially

P.L.F. Persio

Nikolay Novitskiy
Nikolay Novitskiy  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:36
Member (2018)
English to Russian
Look for more translation opportunities Mar 29, 2022

When written in Chinese, the word crisis is composed of two characters — one represents danger and one represents opportunity. As a translator, you should look for new translation opportuninies. While many companies have left the Russian market, busineses from other countries poured into to seize free niches. They urgently need translation services. Be the first one who gets the most tasty chunks

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US sanctions against Russia: cost for the EU translation industry

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »