Thread poster: Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:31
English to Russian
Mar 16, 2022

Gerard Barry wrote:
You paid for an RWS product and they won't give you the product or refund you your money?
I had it and it worked fine until today. Sometimes Trados needs license reset. This procedure can only be done by RWS personnel upon my request. But I can't request for a reset, because they suspended their support for the Russian users.

expressisverbis

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:31
Japanese to English
+ ...
Russian translation industry Mar 17, 2022

Perhaps a bit off topic, but there is still a considerable demand for RU-EN in the US. Am currently working on a 200 page medical project. Not all orders for Russian come from the RF.

expressisverbis
Adieu

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:31
French to Chinese
+ ...
VPN Mar 17, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:
You paid for an RWS product and they won't give you the product or refund you your money?
I had it and it worked fine until today. Sometimes Trados needs license reset. This procedure can only be done by RWS personnel upon my request. But I can't request for a reset, because they suspended their support for the Russian users.

Did you ever try to use a VPN?
It may work with a foreign IP even if you're in Russia.
Not sure.
But that's what we do with our very own censorship.
We'll get used to it no matter what.
US sanctions against Cuba could date back from I-don't-know-when.
Yet, Cuban cigars are sold everywhere in the world, on and under the table.

[Edited at 2022-03-17 03:09 GMT]

expressisverbis

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Less than expected...for now Mar 17, 2022

I have a document coming up in my workflow for revision in an hour that explains "measures due to the effect of the difficult geopolitical situation".

Bureaucrats will bureaucrat.

I expect a lot more of the same in the coming weeks. Even shutting things down involves A LOT of paperwork.

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
Local time: 20:31
German to English
. Mar 17, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:
... whether you cannot use Studio anymore with your license because of the sanctions, and because you are registered as a citizen of Russia
This one.
First I needed an app from their appstore. I could do it several days ago, but not today. I asked my question at RWS support forum. Their suggestion didn't work, and I asked if it the sanctions could be the culprit. After this second question they logged me out. I thought something was wrong with my copy of Trados. I couldn't return my license but uninstalled the program. No I can't neither activate it, nor ask support.
2022-03-16_165859
Would it work for you then when somebody from outside Russia would borrow you temporarily his/her license?
I appreciate your suggestion, but no, I can't accept it. Actually I have a list of 40+ licenses from my previous employer. They don't use all of them now. I will ask one from them.
Actually, our fellow translators from Ukraine are right. Many people lost their homes. I only lost a license. No big deal. Will try Cafetran finally.

Two wrongs don't make a right. I find it completely unacceptable for Russian citizens to be mistreated in any way because of the war in Ukraine as you're not responsible for it.

Robert Rietvelt
expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)
TonyTK
P.L.F. Persio
Vladimir Filipenko

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:31
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hostage Mar 18, 2022

Gerard Barry wrote:

Two wrongs don't make a right. I find it completely unacceptable for Russian citizens to be mistreated in any way because of the war in Ukraine as you're not responsible for it.

Consider them being held hostage by those politicians (rivals), physically or financially.

P.L.F. Persio

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Which politicians? Mar 18, 2022

LIZ LI wrote:

Consider them being held hostage by those politicians (rivals), physically or financially.

I suspect many of us will be impacted by current events. This kind of collateral damage is unfair but sadly inevitable given the circumstances.

Matthias Brombach
Claudio Porcellana (X)

Zamira B.
Zamira B.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:31
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Interpreting vs Translating Mar 18, 2022

Anna B. wrote:

Zamira B. wrote:

I think there will be little or no market for into Russian translations for the foreseeable future. There will be a surge in such sectors as economic and other intelligence, administration of sanctions and compliance outside of Russia (mostly in-house positions), also document translations for refugees and emigrants.

Local market outside Russia will survive, since there will be people in need of interpreting services because they don’t speak the language of the host-country.

[Edited at 2022-03-15 19:26 GMT]

The bulk of income comes from translating. In the UK, public interpreting is paid very poorly. Even so, I tried signing up with my local council as an interpreter but they said they only work with a local translation agency - (they must be friends or family I don’t know)!
Unless you are an elite conference interpreter, you can’t make a decent living out of it.

Adieu
mk_lab

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Mar 18, 2022

Gerard Barry wrote:
Two wrongs don't make a right.
The most nasty thing about this is that I recommended buying Trados to my groupmates two months ago. I manage a Fecebook group devoted to translator's software. And I re-posted a January RWS promo event in my group. Today I received a message: "Hi Stepan, I bought Trados recently upon your recommendation but I didn't have the time to use it yet. Can you please explain the meaning of this RWS message [stating that they suspend further support and maintenance]. How come?" I have no clue what can I reply to this...

[Edited at 2022-03-18 16:56 GMT]

Gerard Barry

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Original post removed.
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Torrent time? Mar 19, 2022

Well, if the Trados company is going to steal from translators who bought its product in good faith, perhaps some will turn to torrents. There are four Trados 2021 cracks on the Pirate Bay. There's no telling how safe it is to use those, but I imagine some people who use it will do it in a virtual machine, just in case.

[Edited at 2022-03-19 19:46 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Yesterday another translator in my group reported Mar 19, 2022

that she lost her license activation even without doing anything like uninstallation or license return. Despite their message reading that "You still have the right to continue usage of your Trados Studio perpetual license in its current state", her software simply stopped working. When she attempts to open Trados, it says that it is deactivated.
Samuel Murray wrote:
Well, if the Trados company is going to steal from translators who bought its product in good faith

Anna Bessonov
Anna Bessonov
United States
Local time: 14:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Sort of agree Mar 19, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

Perhaps a bit off topic, but there is still a considerable demand for RU-EN in the US. Am currently working on a 200 page medical project. Not all orders for Russian come from the RF.

My LinkedIn feed shows there is a demand for Russian-speaking linguists in NSA, FBI is also looking for linguists, I’ll give US army some time, I highly suspect their ads are coming as well. In addition, FBI removed age requirement from their ad, I think a few years ago applicants shouldn’t be older than 37, now they only ask to be physically fit.

Adieu
P.L.F. Persio
Mr. Satan (X)

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
I hear they don't get those anymore Mar 19, 2022

Heard it mentioned in passing on the news that Russia's losing torrents too

Whether it's an alleged expansion of the old IP protection campaign, a sanction/boycott thing, or a "countersanction" for improved censorship as they move towards media blackout - idk...

Samuel Murray wrote:

Well, if the Trados company is going to steal from translators who bought its product in good faith, perhaps some will turn to torrents. [Edited at 2022-03-19 19:46 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US sanctions against Russia: cost for the EU translation industry

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »