Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
US sanctions against Russia: cost for the EU translation industry
Thread poster: Eugenio Garcia-Salmones
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited as per request
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:46
French to Chinese
+ ...
@Sarah Mar 16, 2022

Sarah McDowell wrote:

Are there any specialty fields, except military translation, where they actually need Ru-En translators at the moment?

Intelligence services, big corps used to operate in Russia, NGOs taking care of Ukrainian refugees (Russian speaking population perhaps)......
Anyone and/or any entity who wants to understand what was and is going on within Russia may be the end client.

I personally don't think that you (& fellow translators working on RU>EN pair) will expect a difficult moment in your freelancing career, as long as Russia exists.
But opportunities for those working on EN>RU don't seem promising...

[Edited at 2022-03-16 04:34 GMT]

Adieu

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:46
German to English
WTF? Mar 16, 2022

LIZ LI wrote:

Intelligence services, big corps used to operate in Russia, NGOs taking care of Ukrainian refugees (Russian speaking population perhaps)......
Anyone and/or any entity who wants to understand what was and is going on within Russia may be the end client.

I personally don't think that you (& fellow translators working on RU>EN pair) will expect a difficult moment in your freelancing career, as long as Russia exists.
But opportunities for those working on EN>RU don't seem promising...

[Edited at 2022-03-16 04:34 GMT]

I don't think, honestly, that I think anybody needs to go beyond abbreviations.

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:46
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Thanks for your encouraging words! Mar 16, 2022

LIZ LI wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions and encouraging words! This means a lot to me.

Best regards

Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:46
English to Latvian
+ ...
there is a hope Mar 16, 2022

Actually I think the fears about Russian translation market collapsing are premature. Due to sanctions and foreign companies leaving, there will be necessity for Russia to developed there own solutions and technology. I won't be as good as imported technology but a lot of resources will be dedicated to develop it from available resources. Obviously, demand of translations of STEM fields will increase considerably whereas those in marketing field will decrease. Maybe the pay will be lower but a g... See more
Actually I think the fears about Russian translation market collapsing are premature. Due to sanctions and foreign companies leaving, there will be necessity for Russia to developed there own solutions and technology. I won't be as good as imported technology but a lot of resources will be dedicated to develop it from available resources. Obviously, demand of translations of STEM fields will increase considerably whereas those in marketing field will decrease. Maybe the pay will be lower but a good translator who is ready to skill transfer to related fields will survive.Collapse

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Ups and downs Mar 16, 2022

Every crisis is also a development opportunity, as every recession is followed by growth. The best strategy is targeting new language pairs and fields. It's the stronger that will suffer less damage, but that's universal, nothing original about translation business.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
RWS seems to be on the same team with the Russian government Mar 16, 2022

Great news! I have been robbed for the second time today. First my government took away all the work I had by its act of international idiotism. Then, RWS (former SDL) took my money along with the product that I honestly paid for. I paid my own money for the product that I cannot use now. Both RWS (former SDL) and the Russian government do their best to punish me for being Russian. Perfect!

Adieu
Sergey Berezovikov

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Thank you mods Mar 16, 2022

Dear moderators,
Thank you so much for letting me know how to stop any unsolicited messages. Your tips worked just fine!

Evgeny Sidorenko wrote:
Every crisis is also a development opportunity...
True. I am making a video CV now. Finally I have time to fiddle with it and video editing software

Denys Dömin
Denys Dömin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2012)
German to Ukrainian
+ ...
Is it relevant to the topic? Mar 16, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Great news! I have been robbed for the second time today. First my government took away all the work I had by its act of international idiotism. Then, RWS (former SDL) took my money along with the product that I honestly paid for. I paid my own money for the product that I cannot use now. Both RWS (former SDL) and the Russian government do their best to punish me for being Russian. Perfect!

May I ask, how exactly does this relate to the topic of the thread? It is clearly mentioned that "The post is addressed to those who work with Russian in the EU" and the topic seems to be the impact for the European market. I think that a separate post should be created for whi... sharing little personal tragedies caused by the war of Russia against Ukraine. Perhaps I would join that thread, too. I do have a couple of recent sad stories to tell.

Tretyak
Dmytro Nazarenko
Stepan Konev
Zamira B.
Roman Bulkiewicz
mk_lab
Adieu

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Right you are Mar 16, 2022

Denys Dömin wrote:
I think that a separate post should be created...
You are totally right. Thank you for your suggestion. I will follow it immediately.

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
Local time: 17:46
German to English
. Mar 16, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

You paid for an RWS product and they won't give you the product or refund you your money? That's outrageous! Why did RWS do that?

expressisverbis
Mr. Satan (X)
Renquan Yang

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:46
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
May I ask you ... Mar 16, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

... RWS (former SDL) took my money along with the product that I honestly paid for. I paid my own money for the product that I cannot use now.

... whether you cannot use Studio anymore with your license: because of the sanctions, and because you are registered as a citizen of Russia / or because you live in Russia and therefore send a Russian IP when using Studio?
Would it work for you then when somebody from outside Russia would borrow you temporarily his/her license? If so, is anybody willing to do so, any, who does not need the license too often?

[Bearbeitet am 2022-03-16 21:01 GMT]

expressisverbis

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
I cannot log in to my account Mar 16, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:
... whether you cannot use Studio anymore with your license because of the sanctions, and because you are registered as a citizen of Russia
This one.
First I needed an app from their appstore. I could do it several days ago, but not today. I asked my question at RWS support forum. Their suggestion didn't work, and I asked if it the sanctions could be the culprit. After this second question they logged me out. I thought something was wrong with my copy of Trados. I couldn't return my license but uninstalled the program. No I can't neither activate it, nor ask support.
2022-03-16_165859
Would it work for you then when somebody from outside Russia would borrow you temporarily his/her license?
I appreciate your suggestion, but no, I can't accept it. Actually I have a list of 40+ licenses from my previous employer. They don't use all of them now. I will ask one from them.
Actually, our fellow translators from Ukraine are right. Many people lost their homes. I only lost a license. No big deal. Will try Cafetran finally.

expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
P.L.F. Persio
Adieu

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US sanctions against Russia: cost for the EU translation industry

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »