JAN SNAUWAERT  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:54
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 17, 2022

Hi all,

First of all: I have thirteen years experience as a translator, so I am not a newbie.
Since the end of January however, I experienced a severe dip in assignments, that remembers me of the first, difficult year I had, starting up my business.
I translate from German, English and French into Dutch. Normally, these are very good language combinations, highly in demand. I wonder if this a more general phenomenon or just something that happens to me, a bad period that
... See more
Hi all,

First of all: I have thirteen years experience as a translator, so I am not a newbie.
Since the end of January however, I experienced a severe dip in assignments, that remembers me of the first, difficult year I had, starting up my business.
I translate from German, English and French into Dutch. Normally, these are very good language combinations, highly in demand. I wonder if this a more general phenomenon or just something that happens to me, a bad period that I have to sweat out.
Collapse

Dalia Nour
roeland
Esther Dodo
SandraV

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Unusual: weeks without a (decent) job Feb 17, 2022

iqcservices wrote:

Hi all,

I translate from German, English and French into Dutch. Normally, these are very good language combinations, highly in demand. I wonder if this a more general phenomenon or just something that happens to me, a bad period that I have to sweat out.

You are not alone.
It's getting a bit better now, but only on the audio recording side, translations are still lacking.

Dalia Nour
Josephine Cassar
SandraV

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nothing new under the sun... Feb 17, 2022

It happens! December and January were very slow, I had work the first days of February, followed by no work at all until the 10th and after that suddenly all hell broke loose…

P.S. I translate from English, French, Spanish and Italian into Portuguese and I have been translating for over 30 years.

[Edited at 2022-02-17 10:06 GMT]

Dalia Nour
Kevin Fulton
Serhan Elmacıoğlu

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jan Feb 17, 2022

The only phenomenon I have noticed over the years is that a down cycle is always followed by an up cycle as if clients agreed among themselves to flood you with work at the same time just to see how resilient you are…

Renée van Bijsterveld
sazo
P.L.F. Persio
Christel Zipfel
Rebecca Hendry
Aisha Maniar
Evgeny Sidorenko

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Slow since December Feb 17, 2022

Think it's a combination of:
December/January can often be slow
the pandemic, is over...or is it?
war is coming scare-warmongering
no right to work in Italy if you refuse vaccination
PEMT for €0.02/word sold as the best thing since toast

P.L.F. Persio
Angie Garbarino

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Depends Feb 17, 2022

Are you heavily dependent on a single client/agency, an industry, or an end client for your workload?

Sometimes, it literally comes down to one person or one system bringing huge chains to a stop. Some bureaucrat gets replaced or goes away on a ridiculously long civil servant vacation and thousands of documents end up unsigned/unstamped/unforwarded, some government body's or industry giant's server gets its shoelaces tied together, some essential waypoint that all documents move thr
... See more
Are you heavily dependent on a single client/agency, an industry, or an end client for your workload?

Sometimes, it literally comes down to one person or one system bringing huge chains to a stop. Some bureaucrat gets replaced or goes away on a ridiculously long civil servant vacation and thousands of documents end up unsigned/unstamped/unforwarded, some government body's or industry giant's server gets its shoelaces tied together, some essential waypoint that all documents move through on their way to you gets locked down, quarantined, or moves offices, etc.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It happens Feb 17, 2022

iqcservices wrote:
Since the end of January however, I experienced a severe dip in assignments, that reminds me of the first, difficult year I had, starting up my business.

I'm reminded of the English expression "when it rains, it pours". Sometimes, I get so much work that I can barely keep up with it. At other times, I go without work for an entire week or sometimes even more. My month-to-month income truly isn't predictable. Some translators experience "slow" months of the year, but I don't. Sometimes my Decembers are very quiet, and sometimes it is the busiest time of the year.

Unless there is a very good reason why you're not getting any work (e.g. an industry or economy collapsed, or an upstream client suddenly uses an entirely different sent of middle-men), this is simply part of the unpredictability of being a freelance translator. But I understand that this can be quite frightening if you don't have sufficient buffers to keep you going.

Now is the time to do extra marketing or extra training. If you work for agencies, go through the Blue Board's list of agencies and write to as many of them as you can.

[Edited at 2022-02-17 11:18 GMT]

Gerard Barry
sazo
P.L.F. Persio
Christel Zipfel
Rebecca Hendry
Jelena Delibasic
Joe France

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:54
German to English
No explanation Feb 17, 2022

My regular customers are in unrelated industries (manufacturing and publishing), and if the number of jobs they send on an annual basis were averaged out over the course of the year, I wouldn't have any slow periods. Nevertheless there are sometimes gaps lasting weeks during which they send me no work. If these lacunae were predictable, I could plan vacations or at least short trips away from the office without worrying about additional loss of income. Since this seems to be unavoidable, I've st... See more
My regular customers are in unrelated industries (manufacturing and publishing), and if the number of jobs they send on an annual basis were averaged out over the course of the year, I wouldn't have any slow periods. Nevertheless there are sometimes gaps lasting weeks during which they send me no work. If these lacunae were predictable, I could plan vacations or at least short trips away from the office without worrying about additional loss of income. Since this seems to be unavoidable, I've stopped worrying about it.Collapse

philgoddard
Evgeny Sidorenko

roeland
roeland  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Sounds familiar Feb 17, 2022

This started, at least for me, around november 2021 already. I talked to a few of my regular clients, there is simply not much demand for Dutch at the moment. They expect it to pick up once the C19 restrictions are over and people head back into the office. That could be any day now...;-)

Adieu

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Waste of time Feb 17, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

....., go through the Blue Board's list of agencies and write to as many of them as you can.

I've tried that, a couple of times, in the past, without result. I was very methodical, carefully seeking out the agencies to contact, specially preparing a good CV, and keeping a record of all the ones I'd contacted. The response was total silence. So it pains me when I see less experienced translators advised to do this as a good way of marketing themselves.

[Edited at 2022-02-17 13:54 GMT]

Robert Forstag
Elena Feriani
James Swan
Angie Garbarino
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Hebat-Allah El Ashmawy
Hebat-Allah El Ashmawy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 23:54
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
Then, what is the best way of marketing ourselves? Feb 17, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

....., go through the Blue Board's list of agencies and write to as many of them as you can.

I've tried that, a couple of times, in the past, without result. I was very methodical, carefully seeking out the agencies to contact, specially preparing a good CV, and keeping a record of all the ones I'd contacted. The response was total silence. So it pains me when I see less experienced translators advised to do this as a good way of marketing themselves.

[Edited at 2022-02-17 13:54 GMT]

Jelena Delibasic
Jelena Delibasic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2020)
English to Serbian
+ ...
It happens Feb 17, 2022

I'm experiencing the same thing, which could be explained by the fact that Serbian is actually a small market. However, I also agree with Samuel. It happens. It's the nature of business. It's simply unpredictable.
I'm also thinking about what steps to take.

JAN SNAUWAERT
Belgium
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know. Feb 17, 2022

Good to know. I am reassured. Thanks.

JAN SNAUWAERT
Belgium
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it happens Feb 17, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

It happens! December and January were very slow, I had work the first days of February, followed by no work at all until the 10th and after that suddenly all hell broke loose…

P.S. I translate from English, French, Spanish and Italian into Portuguese and I have been translating for over 30 years.

[Edited at 2022-02-17 10:06 GMT]

Thank you Teresa for your reply. Yes, it happens. But I have been spoilt the last couple of years; last year was my best year ever and suddenly, it seems to collapse for no reason. I am confident now that the assignments will crank up again.

JAN SNAUWAERT
Belgium
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Combination Feb 17, 2022

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Think it's a combination of:
December/January can often be slow
the pandemic, is over...or is it?
war is coming scare-warmongering
no right to work in Italy if you refuse vaccination
PEMT for €0.02/word sold as the best thing since toast

Hi Jo,

Yes, it could very well be a combination of these (and other) factors. Thanks.

Jo Macdonald

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unusual: weeks without a (decent) job

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »