Belgium
Local time: 14:27
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not heavily dependent on a single client Feb 17, 2022

Adieu wrote:

Are you heavily dependent on a single client/agency, an industry, or an end client for your workload?

Sometimes, it literally comes down to one person or one system bringing huge chains to a stop. Some bureaucrat gets replaced or goes away on a ridiculously long civil servant vacation and thousands of documents end up unsigned/unstamped/unforwarded, some government body's or industry giant's server gets its shoelaces tied together, some essential waypoint that all documents move through on their way to you gets locked down, quarantined, or moves offices, etc.

Hi Adieu,

No, I am not heavily dependent on a single client. It is as if they agreed among them to not give me jobs for a while...

JAN SNAUWAERT
JAN SNAUWAERT  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it happens (but unusual nevertheless) Feb 17, 2022

Jelena Delibasic wrote:

I'm experiencing the same thing, which could be explained by the fact that Serbian is actually a small market. However, I also agree with Samuel. It happens. It's the nature of business. It's simply unpredictable.
I'm also thinking about what steps to take.

Hi Jelena,

Yes, it happens and yes it is unpredictable. Right now, I have a period "off" that I haven't experienced since a long time; has probably something to do with the world situation. I again apply for jobs I find on ProZ, something I haven't done for many years now.

JAN SNAUWAERT
Belgium
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's a possibility. Feb 17, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

iqcservices wrote:
Since the end of January however, I experienced a severe dip in assignments, that reminds me of the first, difficult year I had, starting up my business.

I'm reminded of the English expression "when it rains, it pours". Sometimes, I get so much work that I can barely keep up with it. At other times, I go without work for an entire week or sometimes even more. My month-to-month income truly isn't predictable. Some translators experience "slow" months of the year, but I don't. Sometimes my Decembers are very quiet, and sometimes it is the busiest time of the year.

Unless there is a very good reason why you're not getting any work (e.g. an industry or economy collapsed, or an upstream client suddenly uses an entirely different sent of middle-men), this is simply part of the unpredictability of being a freelance translator. But I understand that this can be quite frightening if you don't have sufficient buffers to keep you going.

Now is the time to do extra marketing or extra training. If you work for agencies, go through the Blue Board's list of agencies and write to as many of them as you can.

[Edited at 2022-02-17 11:18 GMT]

Hi Samuel,

Luckily, I have sufficient buffers to keep going (for a long time).
I never did a lot of marketing (or almost none, really), but I got clients and kept them satisfied by the quality of my work. I don't even think I lost any of my current clients (though one never knows for sure), but strangely enough, they all seem to have no work for me right now, simultaneously. I could write to a list of agencies, I will consider that possibility if this goes "vacuity" goes on. Thx.

JAN SNAUWAERT
Belgium
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't worry, be happy Feb 17, 2022

Kevin Fulton wrote:

My regular customers are in unrelated industries (manufacturing and publishing), and if the number of jobs they send on an annual basis were averaged out over the course of the year, I wouldn't have any slow periods. Nevertheless there are sometimes gaps lasting weeks during which they send me no work. If these lacunae were predictable, I could plan vacations or at least short trips away from the office without worrying about additional loss of income. Since this seems to be unavoidable, I've stopped worrying about it.

Hi Kevin,

You are right. That's perhaps the most important thing right now: stop worrying. There is no reason why I would have lost my clients, they will come back, sooner or later (sooner, please!).

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

JAN SNAUWAERT
Belgium
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's a long time! Feb 17, 2022

roeland wrote:

This started, at least for me, around november 2021 already. I talked to a few of my regular clients, there is simply not much demand for Dutch at the moment. They expect it to pick up once the C19 restrictions are over and people head back into the office. That could be any day now...;-)

Hi Roeland,

Since November 2021 already! That's a long time. But I am glad that you made it clear to me that I am not an exception. Let's hope things will crank up from here on.

JAN SNAUWAERT
Belgium
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the information Feb 17, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

....., go through the Blue Board's list of agencies and write to as many of them as you can.

I've tried that, a couple of times, in the past, without result. I was very methodical, carefully seeking out the agencies to contact, specially preparing a good CV, and keeping a record of all the ones I'd contacted. The response was total silence. So it pains me when I see less experienced translators advised to do this as a good way of marketing themselves.

[Edited at 2022-02-17 13:54 GMT]

Hi Samuel,

Thank you for the information. It is a lot of work (going through the list (that is very long) and writing to the ones that passed your selection) and if the output is zero, don't even bother. By the way, I have 13 years of translation experience, so one can hardly say I am a "less experienced" translator.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Lockdowns? Feb 17, 2022

Are you sure some essential bottleneck that a large chunk of your work passes through on its way to you didn't get locked down/quarantined/chaotically moved to remote mode?

Butterfly effects can be unpredictable at first glance... a regulator shutting down can halt all processes in a regulated industry, port bottlenecks or conveyor belt stoppages can delay most activities in manufacturing or commerce, etc.

Chip shortage in Asia > delayed product release in Europe > no
... See more
Are you sure some essential bottleneck that a large chunk of your work passes through on its way to you didn't get locked down/quarantined/chaotically moved to remote mode?

Butterfly effects can be unpredictable at first glance... a regulator shutting down can halt all processes in a regulated industry, port bottlenecks or conveyor belt stoppages can delay most activities in manufacturing or commerce, etc.

Chip shortage in Asia > delayed product release in Europe > no new product materials as of yet, that sort of thing

JAN SNAUWAERT wrote:

Adieu wrote:

Are you heavily dependent on a single client/agency, an industry, or an end client for your workload?

Sometimes, it literally comes down to one person or one system bringing huge chains to a stop. Some bureaucrat gets replaced or goes away on a ridiculously long civil servant vacation and thousands of documents end up unsigned/unstamped/unforwarded, some government body's or industry giant's server gets its shoelaces tied together, some essential waypoint that all documents move through on their way to you gets locked down, quarantined, or moves offices, etc.

Hi Adieu,

No, I am not heavily dependent on a single client. It is as if they agreed among them to not give me jobs for a while...
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:27
English to Russian
+ ...
All part of the job Feb 17, 2022

I fully agree sudden and totally unpredictable 'shutdowns' are unavoidable for a freelancer. It's good (or bad?) though that often these happen to be 'a calm before a storm', when jobs are one too many to handle. It all seems to be part of the job that can't really be changed. Meanwhile, some search/marketing would never do any harm even if the response rate is close to zero. Just this week after 2 full days of almost no offers I got a nice job from a new client which I had contacted some time a... See more
I fully agree sudden and totally unpredictable 'shutdowns' are unavoidable for a freelancer. It's good (or bad?) though that often these happen to be 'a calm before a storm', when jobs are one too many to handle. It all seems to be part of the job that can't really be changed. Meanwhile, some search/marketing would never do any harm even if the response rate is close to zero. Just this week after 2 full days of almost no offers I got a nice job from a new client which I had contacted some time ago duirng one such 'shutdown'. So from my viewpoint it's still worthwhile to cover some new bases when you have time during these 'unscheduled' vacations.Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Waiting Feb 19, 2022

The current inflation and the problems in Ukraine make lots of companies wait to invest at the moment.
It also seems that people hold in spending because of the inflation.
It's odd, because at the same time there is a shortage of labour force.

Barbara Cochran, MFA
P.L.F. Persio

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:27
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
it worked for me Feb 19, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

....., go through the Blue Board's list of agencies and write to as many of them as you can.

I've tried that, a couple of times, in the past, without result. I was very methodical, carefully seeking out the agencies to contact, specially preparing a good CV, and keeping a record of all the ones I'd contacted. The response was total silence. So it pains me when I see less experienced translators advised to do this as a good way of marketing themselves.

I believe I am less experienced than you, so I have to ask you to tolerate my bespeaking of the same method. I did that too, and it worked for me. I had contacted around 500 agencies 4 years ago, and I had received a great deal of responses, a sufficient part of which has also offered jobs on a regular basis. Maybe it's not a good way of marketing, but it worked for me.

Robin LEPLUMEY

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
DeepL Feb 20, 2022

Could this be the effect of DeepL? Did your earlier clients ask you for a PEMT rate and did you answer them, you don't offer these services (as I did)? Then the silence of the lambs may have begun for you, I'm afraid.

Mirjam Jongejan

Brian Joyce
Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2022)
French to English
Hard times Feb 25, 2022

Whenever I hit a rough patch I just go and rob a bank.

Robin LEPLUMEY
writeaway
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd
S. Kathryn Jiménez Boyd  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2018)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bad 3 months, actually Feb 25, 2022

Just wanted to share my personal experience as a CAT/ESP to ENG translator. For background, over the past 3-4 years I'd consistently had a lot of work, often more than I could do, with only the odd four days or so that I'd get nothing and start to get nervous (and of course the usual August, in Spain nothing gets done in August).

But around the middle of November 2021, my average word count per week halved with no perceptible reason (it hadn't done that in other years). My inbox had
... See more
Just wanted to share my personal experience as a CAT/ESP to ENG translator. For background, over the past 3-4 years I'd consistently had a lot of work, often more than I could do, with only the odd four days or so that I'd get nothing and start to get nervous (and of course the usual August, in Spain nothing gets done in August).

But around the middle of November 2021, my average word count per week halved with no perceptible reason (it hadn't done that in other years). My inbox had crickets. Sometimes a week would go by without a single project. I had no money but I tried to take advantage of the down time and work more on my personal projects and work on my education.

All of the sudden, at the beginning of this week (last one in February) every single client came back to life, flooding my inbox with thousands upon thousands of words. I'm now booked almost three weeks out and the requests haven't stopped.

It's just really odd. I never really understood when people talked about feast or famine in this industry, but now I do. I guess you really should have a decent "cushion" to get you through the rough spots. That's all they are, rough spots, the clients really do come back!
Collapse

Adieu
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Tim Sheedy
Josephine Cassar
P.L.F. Persio

Robin LEPLUMEY
Robin LEPLUMEY
France
English to French
+ ...
However... Feb 26, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

This is exactly how I made my customer base though, and it worked. Sent an email to as many agencies as possible during my first week as a freelancer. Second week, I received some tests. Third week, my schedule was full of assignments and it's always been since then...

JAN SNAUWAERT
Belgium
Member (2008)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workload is up now. Mar 27, 2022

Thanks for your reaction. Since the beginning of March, my workload is up to normal again. These weeks without (or almost) a decent job can make one unsure, or anxious, but when the clients are giving you decent or even big jobs again, it seems all but a bad dream.

P.L.F. Persio
Elena Feriani
Bruno Pavesi
Baran Keki
Robin LEPLUMEY
Serhan Elmacıoğlu
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unusual: weeks without a (decent) job

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »