Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:44
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What DeepL has to do with that? Mar 27, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Could this be the effect of DeepL? Did your earlier clients ask you for a PEMT rate and did you answer them, you don't offer these services (as I did)? Then the silence of the lambs may have begun for you, I'm afraid.

I don't really fathom out what DeepL has to do with the momentarily flagging translation industry?... Machine translation is no longer a new revolution, since it is now part of the translation world. And everyone knows that this kind of AI translation (that some call "Artificial Imbecility") has found its own limits for long, particularly within highly technical fields which still remain out of reach for DeepL and the like.

I usually work with translations agencies that firmly prohibit any use of automatic translation by their translators teams and they - to cap it all - get the most of their workflow precisely coming from customers who have experienced bad results by recruiting rival agencies that unscrupulously deliver MTs only on a day-to-day basis.

This all goes to prove that translation machine has obviously no influence in the current slump of the translation economy that our friend Jan has been talking about in this topic.

[Modifié le 2022-03-28 05:29 GMT]

Evgeny Sidorenko
P.L.F. Persio
Peter Shortall

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Wow, I'm impressed that ... Mar 27, 2022

Laurent Di Raimondo wrote:

This all goes to prove that translation machine has obviously no influence in the current slump of the translation world that our friend Jan was talking about.

... your single experience denies the fact that a lot of translators here at proz are suffering from the increasing number of bad-paid post-editing jobs they receive. And from what source, do you think, will all the texts be generated, that have to be post-edited?

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
@Matthias Mar 28, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:

I'm impressed that your single experience denies the fact that a lot of translators here at proz are suffering from the increasing number of bad-paid post-editing jobs they receive. And from what source, do you think, will all the texts be generated, that have to be post-edited?

Please read my last post more thouroughly: I've never denied the fact that DeepL exists and therefore that "a lot of translators are suffering from the increasing number of bad-paid post-editing jobs they receive", as you said.

I merely said that translation machine had nothing to do with the momentarily slump within the translation industry and couldn't explain this sudden phenomenon in itself.

Of course, I don't ignore the devastating impact that translation machine engineers are responsible for and the revolution they have been causing to the translation world by their "Artificial Imbecility".

All the same, I can't help thinking that there wouldn't be so much translators starving by spending so much time working on those bad-paid MTPE jobs, if they weren't never accepting such shameful jobs for peanuts. It's a mere application of the supply-and-demand law.

Even a prostitute earns his/her life much more than a translator nowadays! It doesn't ring a bell to all of you?!

The less translators will accept MTPE assignments, the less there will be agencies getting filthy rich at bad-paid translators’ expense. That's as simple as that...

Time has come to wake up and get moving.

[Modifié le 2022-03-29 11:12 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Supply and demand ... Mar 28, 2022

Laurent Di Raimondo wrote:

All the same, I can't help thinking that there wouldn't be so much translators starving by spending so much time working on those bad-paid MTPE jobs, if they weren't never accepting such shameful jobs for peanuts. It's a mere application of the supply-and-demand law.

Yes, I actually thought you were not aware of the influence MTPE today has. Some colleagues are still lucky and don't have to suffer from it because they work for direct clients only and I thought you would belong to them too and therefore not aware of the situation we have today. No offense meant, please.

Even a prostitute earns his/her life much more than a translator nowadays! It doesn't ring a bell to all of you?!

It's not funny to compare us with prostitutes or to mock them (I believe you don't), although I share your dark sense of humor. Think of all the poor women from eastern Europe countries who are being exploited in the rich western countries: They surely would be happy to earn their money in another way.

The less translators will accept MTPE assignments, the more they will enjoy a more decent level of life.

Easier said than done, right?

It's time to wake up now, isn't it?

A lot of us are awake like church bells, but how to reduce the surplus of translators without hurting any of them?

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:44
English to Russian
+ ...
It's a losing battle for Luddites Mar 29, 2022

I'm often amazed at this aversion and negativity to MT use so common on this forum, and I refer not only to this thread or specific comments in it. Next thing you would require closing CATs and going back to Word, then who knows what. MT is a useful tool for simple, linear, monotonous texts with many repetitions and pressing deadlines, at least for the languages I'm familiar with. Denying its advantages is like sticking to writing with a goose feather while having a typewriter. You won't stop it... See more
I'm often amazed at this aversion and negativity to MT use so common on this forum, and I refer not only to this thread or specific comments in it. Next thing you would require closing CATs and going back to Word, then who knows what. MT is a useful tool for simple, linear, monotonous texts with many repetitions and pressing deadlines, at least for the languages I'm familiar with. Denying its advantages is like sticking to writing with a goose feather while having a typewriter. You won't stop it by blaming 'bottom-feeders' or calling other such names. Whatever you deny can and will be done by someone else. Also, most of the stuff translated as PEMT is one-time pieces of information needed today and forgotten tomorrow, not worth the effort of classic full-scale translation.
The market will dictate it anyway. Many customers would not be willing to pay an expensive 'perfectionist' translator for a simple document instead of using MT with post-editing which would cost 3-4 times less. For most texts nowadays, there's a clear gap between the cost of a reasonably good PEMT job and the price of a translation by an 'expert human translator', while the qualty of the latter would not not be propotionately (3-4 times) better. Guess the customer's choice.
There's still a lot to be tackled by translators like books of any kind, certain niches, rare language combinations, MT editing (as much as some people here hate it) or whatever the customer is willing to pay for. Blaming MT and colleagues doing PEMT jobs is unreasonable and leads nowhere. Competition of any kind is natural and it can be defeated by becoming stronger, not by complaining about the competitors doing this and that while you stick to the old ways. If you think MT is a competitor, use its strengths for your advantage, because it's here to stay with or without you.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Gina Centanni

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
So then ... Mar 30, 2022

Evgeny Sidorenko wrote:

The market will dictate it anyway. Many customers would not be willing to pay an expensive 'perfectionist' translator for a simple document instead of using MT with post-editing which would cost 3-4 times less.

... it would only be fair to pay an operator of a machine, which replaces 4 to 5 people, less than any of the single workers he/she has replaced?
Nothing to say against tools that increase productivity, but why not then pay by the hour and for the price you are comfortable with, and not for a price you cannot make a decent living from, no matter in what country you live?

[Bearbeitet am 2022-03-30 05:07 GMT]

Baran Keki
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unusual: weeks without a (decent) job

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »