Thread poster: Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:04
English to Russian
Jun 9, 2022

Hello,

This is to check your availability for a new product Line with the below details:

• Language pair: English Into Russian
• Task Type: Revision
• Volume: 40000 hour
• Field: Mining & Minerals / Gems
• Rate: 10 USD per hour due to the volume
• Tool: Memsource

Please note that the resource should go through a small test free of charge to test the quality

1. They treat a translator as a resource, no name necessary. By the way, their website says they have 16+K native professionals in all European, Asian,
Middle Eastern and African, as well as many African languages. How many of those did at least one job for the agency? I know that some agencies have me in their vendor pools for as long as 20 years. The send me requests to update my details from time to time, but they don't send any work my way

2. Is the rate so low because they want revision which typically costs 1/3 to 1/2 of your rate for translation? Well, I don't think this applies to hourly rates.

3. 10 USD per hour due to the volume (40,000 hours). Do they offer 1 USD per hour when they have 400,000 words to be revised? Mind you, it's about Mining & Minerals / Gems.

4. A small test free of charge ... for a chance to spend 40,000 hours, i.e. 1,000 five-day weeks, working for peanuts. They must be kidding

[Edited at 2022-06-09 13:27 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Veronica Montserrat
Angus Stewart
Philip Lees
Robin LEPLUMEY
Elena Aclasto
Liviu-Lee Roth

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Volume Jun 9, 2022

I especially love the free tests... as if they could go to the gas station and get some free gas just to test its quality.

The "due to volume" justification for their rock-bottom rates is truly amusing. Apparently they believe that translators are wholesalers willing to grant discounts due to larger orders. Maybe someone should educate them regarding the difference between translators and wholesalers.

There are some really good agencies that value the work of translator
... See more
I especially love the free tests... as if they could go to the gas station and get some free gas just to test its quality.

The "due to volume" justification for their rock-bottom rates is truly amusing. Apparently they believe that translators are wholesalers willing to grant discounts due to larger orders. Maybe someone should educate them regarding the difference between translators and wholesalers.

There are some really good agencies that value the work of translators. They would never even dream of insulting their translators by offering ridiculous rates. But some agencies are just "too good to be real", especially in regards to sincerely believing that anyone would even consider accepting their terms. Instead of dreaming they should take a moment to figure out who they are and who the translator is. Maybe, just maybe, they might then realize that the service provided states the T & C's, not the customer. This is just a basic worldwide business rule.
Collapse

Philip Lees
Ester Vidal
toasty
Liviu-Lee Roth
Kira Krain

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Crazy logic from translators too Jun 9, 2022

To be fair, it's not just agencies. Plenty of translators on here offer a range of hourly rates. I've never been able to get my head around that.

Christel Zipfel
Vladimir Pochinov
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Kevin Fulton
Christine Andersen
Tom in London

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Poor analogy Jun 9, 2022

Thayenga wrote:

When we go to the gas station to get gas, we can be assured of its quality, no need to test it. If only the same were true of translators, given that anyone with a PC and an internet connection can call themselves a translator. That's why we go to the gas station and don't buy "gas" from a guy selling fuel of a dubious nature from jerry cans at a roadside stall.

Dan Lucas
Gabriela Raț
Kevin Fulton
Christopher Schröder
Michele Fauble
Anton Konashenok

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Different hourly rates for different services Jun 9, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Plenty of translators on here offer a range of hourly rates. I've never been able to get my head around that.

Exactly. An hour of your time is just that ... one hour, regardless of how you spend it.

Per word rates may be different, but the resultant hourly pay should stay the same:

Translation: $0.10 per word @300 words per hour, i.e. you earn $30 per hour
Editing: $0.06 per word @500 words per hour = $30 per hour
Proofreading: $0.03 per word @1000 words per hour = $30 per hour

Christopher Schröder
Recep Kurt
toasty
Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Elizabeth Morris

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Classic. Jun 9, 2022

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

4. A small test free of charge ... for a chance to spend 40,000 hours, i.e. 1,000 five-day weeks, working for peanuts. They must be kidding

[Edited at 2022-06-09 13:27 GMT]

Reminds me of another classic: "They ask for a test free of charge, but if you pass we will assign you the complete task of n thousand words."

Last time I replied with "You pay me for the test and I will be happy to deduct the test price from the price for the the total task after you've assigned it to me."

Never heard of it again.

Christopher Schröder
Michele Fauble
Matthias Brombach
toasty
Elena Aclasto
Kay Denney
Liviu-Lee Roth

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Deducting the test price from the actual project price if the latter materializes Jun 9, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Reminds me of another classic: "They ask for a test free of charge, but if you pass we will assign you the complete task of n thousand words."

Last time I replied with "You pay me for the test and I will be happy to deduct the test price from the price for the the total task after you've assigned it to me."

Never heard of it again.

I'll use this one next time

Lieven Malaise

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:04
English to Russian
A similar offer Jun 9, 2022

I received a similar offer today (EN>RU, Mining, Memsource) but it seems to be a different agency because they requested that I propose my own rate. And it was 'translation+review' type of task. And they mentioned 40K words but not hours.

[Edited at 2022-06-09 18:44 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:04
Japanese to English
+ ...
Crazy logic Jun 10, 2022

There is a famous fringe Mexican film entitled "Esmeralda de noche vienes". It owes much to Bunuel and Fellini. Basically it deals with coping with the chaos of life in Mexico. You must (1) realize that life is absurd and (2) have unlimited optimism.

If you expect logical behavior from agencies, you will be defeated. Many of the so-called translation managers are certifiable moonbats and expect you to do five-dollar jobs with payment in 60 days. Realize that despite all of the onero
... See more
There is a famous fringe Mexican film entitled "Esmeralda de noche vienes". It owes much to Bunuel and Fellini. Basically it deals with coping with the chaos of life in Mexico. You must (1) realize that life is absurd and (2) have unlimited optimism.

If you expect logical behavior from agencies, you will be defeated. Many of the so-called translation managers are certifiable moonbats and expect you to do five-dollar jobs with payment in 60 days. Realize that despite all of the onerous onboarding and papyrology demanded by many agencies, you will probably never be contacted. A 300-word "free" translation easily turns into a 1,000 word freebie. Some managers seem to have bipolar disorder with all the attendant mood-swings. You are flavor-of-the-month one day and the next day they never heard of you. You are just a name in a universal, endless, virtual Rolodex. Somebody in Pago-Pago is ready to translate an Japanese-language article on Ventricular Fibrillation for pennies And yes, translators are resources.

Solution: avoid agencies and cultivate direct clients.
Collapse

Daryo

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Avoid agencies and cultivate direct clients Jun 10, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

Realize that despite all of the onerous onboarding and papyrology demanded by many agencies, you will probably never be contacted. ... You are flavor-of-the-month one day and the next day they never heard of you. You are just a name in a universal, endless, virtual Rolodex. ... And yes, translators are resources.

Solution: avoid agencies and cultivate direct clients.

You may face the same treatment from direct clients sometimes. I won a two-year contract with a UN agency last year. 10 months later, I am still waiting for a single job to materialize

Adieu

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:04
Japanese to English
+ ...
Crazy logic Jun 10, 2022

I think the fly in the ointment with the UN agency is that it is a large, international entity with all the bureaucracy that entails. My direct clients are law firms.

Dan Lucas
Liviu-Lee Roth

Vladimir Pochinov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Law firms as direct clients in Russia in 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

I think the fly in the ointment with the UN agency is that it is a large, international entity with all the bureaucracy that entails. My direct clients are law firms.

I did have a couple of international law firms based in Moscow among my direct clients. Then ...

Law firms react to Russian war with condemnations, client expulsions - or total silence

Adieu

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:04
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too Jun 10, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

To be fair, it's not just agencies. Plenty of translators on here offer a range of hourly rates. I've never been able to get my head around that.

Yeah - I don't get that.

Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:04
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Time Jun 10, 2022

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

" Rate: 10 USD per hour due to the volume"

The volume of one hour of my time is 60 minutes, and does not change.

[Edited at 2022-06-10 07:37 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
IrinaN
Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Elena Aclasto
Marina Taffetani

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Deducting the test price Jun 10, 2022

Lieven Malaise wrote:

(...)

Never heard of it again.

I have dealt with agencies who actually accept this approach.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One more example of crazy logic on the part of some translation agencies

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »