话题中的页数:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >
Kudoz - Leader list - A good moment to sort by usefulness rate too?
论题张贴者: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
德国
Local time: 19:07
正式会员 (自2006)
Dutch荷兰语译成German德语
+ ...
disappointing Jul 1, 2009

Yes, the lack of action by staff is really disappointing. Also: have we ever seen a poll run on this issue? I haven't seen one ...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
西班牙
正式会员 (自2005)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
主题发起人
I did post one for sure!!! Jul 1, 2009

efreitag wrote:
Yes, the lack of action by staff is really disappointing. Also: have we ever seen a poll run on this issue? I haven't seen one ...

I did post one!!! No news about it though.

Why is Proz's staff so terrified about implementing this? Do you guys feel that it would really discourage anyone? I think it would be the opposite: it would encourage many good people out there!

Bjørnar Magnussen
Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
English英语译成Norwegian挪威语
+ ...
If I were outsourcing... Jul 1, 2009

Christel Zipfel wrote:
- Agencies trying to find a good translator

Yes, I for one will certainly pay attention to this if I ever get to outsource to a language that I don't know (i.e. I won't be able to understand the KudoZ answers). KudoZ points honestly don't reveal a lot if not seen in context with the acceptance rate...

[Edited at 2009-07-01 20:43 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
德国
正式会员 (自2006)
Dutch荷兰语译成German德语
+ ...
I know you posted a poll! Jul 1, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

efreitag wrote:

Yes, Tomás, I know. I was just trying to be sarcastic ...

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
墨西哥
Local time: 11:07
German德语译成English英语
One more vote Jul 1, 2009

Yaotl Altan wrote:

4 clear advantages with a 18:1 rate of support.

Make that 19:1 with my vote, but don't hold your breath, and even if it were implemented on an opt-in basis, the most outrageous point grabbers wouldn't participate. I have one ace in mind who has at times answered 40 questions in 10 different language pairs in one day and has an acceptance percentage of 26%. Although this figure is based on pro-level questions, I'd guess at least half of them were awarded for dictionary-look-up questions or because he's almost always the first one to answer within minutes. Why would this point grabber opt to show his reliability ratio?

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
德国
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
No answer means "no" - probably Jul 1, 2009

efreitag wrote:

Why is Proz's staff so terrified about implementing this? Do you guys feel that it would really discourage anyone? I think it would be the opposite: it would encourage many good people out there!

Hi Tomás,

on June 17 I suggested to carry out a survey to know the opinion of more users and members because 20 supporters in this forum do not represent a majority, to be fair.

My post was hidden. I don't know why.
A couple of hours later a colleage came up with the same idea. Did you get a positive answer from ProZ staff when you suggested a poll? I do advocate a poll, seriously! I am very curious what the real majority of the ProZ community thinks, but ProZ management has probably already taken a decision "not to change a winning team".

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
墨西哥
正式会员 (自2006)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Well. Jul 1, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

efreitag wrote:

Hi Tomás,

on June 17 I suggested to carry out a survey to know the opinion of more users and members because 20 supporters in this forum do not represent a majority, to be fair.

My post was hidden. I don't know why.
A couple of hours later a colleage came up with the same idea. Did you get a positive answer from ProZ staff when you suggested a poll? I do advocate a poll, seriously! I am very curious what the real majority of the ProZ community thinks, but ProZ management has probably already taken a decision "not to change a winning team".

Caro Aniello,

In that case I'd suggest moderators to state a clear NO/YES on this fantastic saga

If NO, why. If YES, how and when will it be implemented s'il vous plaît.

Turz
Turz  Identity Verified
德国
German德语译成Italian意大利语
+ ...
Usefulness x KudoZ points Aug 25, 2009

I think an even better ranking of leaders should be a combination (weighted sum / product / whatsoever) of KudoZ points and usefulness rate.
Without thresholds, but with some intelligence in the weight choice.

This in order to:
1) Beat down point-grabbers (there are several in my pairs) who top the rankings with a usefulness rate of about 1 (that means an acceptance rate around 30%).
2) Avoid boosting up "lucky" people who answer a couple of questions and get a hig
... See more
I think an even better ranking of leaders should be a combination (weighted sum / product / whatsoever) of KudoZ points and usefulness rate.

This in order to:
1) Beat down point-grabbers (there are several in my pairs) who top the rankings with a usefulness rate of about 1 (that means an acceptance rate around 30%).
2) Avoid boosting up "lucky" people who answer a couple of questions and get a high acceptance/usefulness rate but on a statistically irrelevant sample size.
3) Give more chance to those who don't have plenty of time to answer KudoZ questions extensively, but are constant and give their contribution regularly, usually with the right answer, over the months and the years.

These are my two (actually three) cents.
Turz
Collapse

Bjørnar Magnussen
Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
English英语译成Norwegian挪威语
+ ...
Formula suggestion: point * acceptance rate^2 Aug 25, 2009

Turz wrote:

Turz

What about the following formula: Point * acceptance rate^2 = rank points

Let's say someone have 1000 points and 50 % acceptance rate.
He will then have 1000 * 0,5 * 0,5 = 250 rank points

If he answer one more question and get 4 points, he will have (approximately):
1004 * 0,501 * 0,501 = 252 rank points

If his answer is not chosen, he will instead have:
1000 * 0,499 * 0,499 = 249 rank points

Another example:

These three answerers will have the same rank:
555 points and 75 % acceptance rate
1250 points and 50 % acceptance rate
5000 points and 25 % acceptance rate

Do you think this would be a fair weight choice?

[Edited at 2009-08-25 19:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-25 19:28 GMT]

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
墨西哥
正式会员 (自2006)
English英语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
well... Aug 25, 2009

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:

Yes, it seems logical.

Birgit Gläser
Birgit Gläser
德国
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
WOW and with Aniello Aug 26, 2009

I am just browsing through some entries to relax and only read the first few and last few. I have now been a member here for about two months. I have to admit that I have been active on Proz as a kind of hobby so far.

First I monitored the site a bit to see how the quality of answers was as we are sometimes looking for banking terms not even our consultants have an answer to (I am working for a banking software company, so have ready access to expert resources which is a blessing).
... See more
I am just browsing through some entries to relax and only read the first few and last few. I have now been a member here for about two months. I have to admit that I have been active on Proz as a kind of hobby so far.

First I monitored the site a bit to see how the quality of answers was as we are sometimes looking for banking terms not even our consultants have an answer to (I am working for a banking software company, so have ready access to expert resources which is a blessing). Anyway, I have become hooked (or addicted?) and have been surfing a bit here after doing late shifts at home (with kids I am now only part-time, but work is currently crazy with projects and deadlines...) and curiously use it to wind down after work (yes, it is an oxymoron). I usually log on if I have the company laptop with me (because it has Zahn, Langenscheidt and Trados/Multiterm installed) and I have been out of the country recently for two weeks.

Without bragging, I am proving Aniello' theory right, that those lists are a good indicator and that you can get to the top in a very short time. I have to admit that until today or better an hour ago I did not even know the leader lists existed. Also heartfelt sympathies to Aniello - Since his first entry on June 16 (i.e. before I even was a member) Hans has bumped him further down the list and is now top dog in all three categories (but from my experience well deserved).

I was completely startled that I was on the lists for both EN-DE (currently rank 16, hard on Aniello's heels who is now on 14) and DE-EN (currently rank 34) - and that with contributing haphasardly for about 6 weeks in the late evening hours/wee small hours when most often a number of answers had already been posted!

The time on Proz so far has taught me a couple of things. Living in the US for a while, the corporate experience and not doing translations exclusively but rather working in English and German has given me a breadth that I have always taken for granted. I received confirmation that my language skills are indeed pretty good. That it is fun/entertaining to help others figure out a source text (with the required amount of professionalism/expertise, of course, but I do love a good puzzle).

So if someone really put an effort in, e.g. subscribing to notifications etc., he or she could get to the top ranks (or into the list) by supplying sound answers in a short time. You will get some points, sometimes wonder why other answers were chosen (but I know my aswer is best!!!) and sometimes other people will supply the right answer quicker or your answer just plain stinks. You will figure out yourself soon enough whether your contributions are any good and others will notice, too, as you tend to meet the same experts over and over again.

Gee, I am still so amazed, all I can say is: Glad to help and thanks for the vote of confidence!

And now I should really go to bed, because the crazy work schedule will continue in a couple of hours. And I still have not learned about Smilies... bother!
Collapse

Turz
Turz  Identity Verified
德国
German德语译成Italian意大利语
+ ...
KudoZ points * acceptance rate^2 = rank points Aug 26, 2009

Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:

What about the following formula: Point * acceptance rate^2 = rank points

Let's say someone have 1000 points and 50 % acceptance rate.
He will then have 1000 * 0,5 * 0,5 = 250 rank points

If he answer one more question and get 4 points, he will have (approximately):
1004 * 0,501 * 0,501 = 252 rank points

If his answer is not chosen, he will instead have:
1000 * 0,499 * 0,499 = 249 rank points

Another example:

These three answerers will have the same rank:
555 points and 75 % acceptance rate
1250 points and 50 % acceptance rate
5000 points and 25 % acceptance rate

I think it's a great choice!

If acceptance rate is too difficult to implement, it can be replaced by the usefulness rate (KudoZ points / number of answers). Therefore:
KudoZ points * usefulness rate^2 = KudoZ points^3 / number of answers^2 = rank points.

Example of your same three answerers with the same rank (due to the fact that some questions don't get 4 points, the acceptance rate is a bit higher here, but the main concepts remains the same):
555 points over 185 answers
1250 points over 625 answers
5000 points over 5000 answers

Lianne Wilson
Lianne Wilson
英国
Local time: 18:07
Japanese日语译成English英语
+ ...
Agree! Aug 27, 2009

Just want to show my support for this idea. Hope it at least gets a decent chance to shine!

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German德语译成Spanish西班牙语
+ ...
Kudoz - Leader list - A good moment to sort by usefulness rate too? Aug 28, 2009

[quote]Bjørnar Magnussen wrote:

Turz wrote:

I think an even better ranking of leaders should be a combination (weighted sum / product / whatsoever) of KudoZ points and usefulness rate...

GMT]

I agree to Bjørnar Magnussen proposal : Answer suitability should be rated far higher than a big number of answers of less usefulness or poor quality!

话题中的页数:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz - Leader list - A good moment to sort by usefulness rate too?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »