What options do you have when translation companies don't pay you.
Thread poster: Zayyad Mai
Zayyad Mai
Zayyad Mai
Nigeria
Local time: 21:52
Hausa to Fulani
+ ...
Jul 5, 2022

So I recently did a translation task for a company in the U.S . I am very professional about my work and I submitted before the due date. My problem now is my payment due date is past by 2 weeks and I can't seem to get hold of anybody in the company. They don't reply my mails and the number provided on company website is always on voice mail. What other actions can one take ?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:52
English to French
+ ...
When did that company say they would pay you? Jul 5, 2022

There are no regulations anywhere in the USA about deadline to pay vendors.

What is the definition of your payment date? If it is a date set by you, it does not compel the buyer.

The average terms of payment by translation agencies is: end of the month following the invoice date. A few agencies may pay (slightly) earlier, a few may make you wait even longer.

Zayyad Mai wrote:

So I recently did a translation task for a company in the U.S . I am very professional about my work and I submitted before the due date. My problem now is my payment due date is past by 2 weeks and I can't seem to get hold of anybody in the company. They don't reply my mails and the number provided on company website is always on voice mail. What other actions can one take ?

Zayyad Mai
Zayyad Mai
Nigeria
Hausa to Fulani
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jul 5, 2022

Their payment date is 45 days from the day of submission of invoice. This was what was stated in the contract. My major issue is them not replying or acknowledging any of my mails.

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:52
German to Swedish
+ ...
Certified reminder Jul 5, 2022

To begin with, send a payment reminder by certified mail to the official company address.
That should be good to have in any subsequent proceeding in any jurisdiction.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:52
Japanese to English
+ ...
Non-payment Jul 5, 2022

If I were you, I would forget about the certified letter and give them a big, fat "1" on the Blue Board.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Shame them online Jul 5, 2022

Harass them on twitter or something.

Works best if you don't value your relationship in the slightest and just wish to get paid the once.

[Edited at 2022-07-05 23:19 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Support ticket Jul 6, 2022

Did you receive this job through Proz? If yes, I would submit a support ticket providing all correspondence related to this task. In over 35 years one hand is enough to count the number of times I haven’t been paid and I must say that some of these cases have been solved with Proz staff help.

Jessica Noyes

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What options do you have when translation companies don't pay you.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »