John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:50
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Jun 13, 2022

An established client of mine in France complained today that when they tried to send me a payment via WISE EUROPE (based in Brussels), the French sending bank claimed that WISE is blacklisted and demanded an additional fee to make the transfer. The client agreed to absorb the extra fee.

Has anyone heard of this and is there an explanation/solution/alternative?

Kristopher Brame
Kristopher Brame  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:50
Member (2018)
German to English
+ ...
I haven't heard about that Jun 13, 2022

I have a somewhat regular client from France who pays me to my Wise account (the one in Belgium), and she has never mentioned anything about that. Her most recent payment was about 45 days ago.

I should also mention that she makes the payment using something called "Qonto". So it goes from Qonto to Wise (Europe). Maybe that is the reason she isn't having this problem.

[Edited at 2022-06-13 21:01 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:50
Danish to English
+ ...
French banks Jun 13, 2022

This doesn't surprise me about a French bank. They often make up their own rules and bad excuses for acting illegally. I had to deal with them for 15 years in France and don't miss it.

The client should send a formal complaint to the bank management, following the complaints procedure described in the bank's terms and conditions, and demand that they scrap that 'blacklisting' and refund the fee, as there is no legal basis for this, and it is a violation of EU law and SEPA rules to d
... See more
This doesn't surprise me about a French bank. They often make up their own rules and bad excuses for acting illegally. I had to deal with them for 15 years in France and don't miss it.

The client should send a formal complaint to the bank management, following the complaints procedure described in the bank's terms and conditions, and demand that they scrap that 'blacklisting' and refund the fee, as there is no legal basis for this, and it is a violation of EU law and SEPA rules to demand a higher fee than for a domestic transfer of the same kind. It looks like simple, mindless protectionism, but your client shouldn't let them bully people this way.
Collapse

Tom in London
expressisverbis
Anton Konashenok
Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Banks Jun 13, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

The client should send a formal complaint to the bank management, following the complaints procedure described in the bank's terms and conditions, and demand that they scrap that 'blacklisting' and refund the fee, as there is no legal basis for this, and it is a violation of EU law and SEPA rules to demand a higher fee than for a domestic transfer of the same kind. It looks like simple, mindless protectionism, but your client shouldn't let them bully people this way.

The banks probably hate WISE -for obvious reasons and the "blacklist" to which they refer may only be their own private blacklist. I agree with what Thomas suggests -and it might also be useful to inform WISE.

[Edited at 2022-06-13 21:04 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Daryo
Josephine Cassar
Philip Lees
Emanuele Vacca

Veronica Montserrat
Veronica Montserrat
France
Local time: 10:50
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
. Jun 14, 2022

Wise is blacklisted in France? Why?
I also have an issue with a transfer made by Wise to my French bank. The bank is requesting very detailed information about the sender (my client) of the transfer.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@John Jun 14, 2022

I have recently noticed that some of my customers who were Wise users have moved to TransferMate. They haven’t explained why and I haven’t asked…

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Open your own Wise account Jun 14, 2022

Veronica Montserrat wrote:

I also have an issue with a transfer made by Wise to my French bank. The bank is requesting very detailed information about the sender (my client) of the transfer.

To circumvent this nonsense, you could open your own Wise account and have the client pay into that instead. Then the only person your bank needs to investigate as payer is yourself when you transfer money from Wise to your bank.

Veronica Montserrat

Veronica Montserrat
Veronica Montserrat
France
Local time: 10:50
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
. Jun 15, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Veronica Montserrat wrote:

To circumvent this nonsense, you could open your own Wise account and have the client pay into that instead. Then the only person your bank needs to investigate as payer is yourself when you transfer money from Wise to your bank.

Good idea! Thanks.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I did that Jun 15, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

..... you could open your own Wise account and have the client pay into that instead. Then the only person your bank needs to investigate as payer is yourself when you transfer money from Wise to your bank.

I have a Wise account and I ask my clients to pay into it.

Then I withdraw the money as and when I want to.

This arrangement continued without mishap, for some months.

Then a couple of months ago, Wise unexpectedly suspended one particular payment from a client in Milan.

They asked me to provide full details of who the client was.

I sent them the client's name, postal address, and VAT no.

I tried using the chat function on the Wise website to ask them what this was all about.

Their only reply was along the lines of "don't worry about it; these are periodic checks we have to carry out. You should receive payment soon".

A couple of weeks later I did receive the payment with confirmation that "we have carried out the checks". No further explanation was given.

This has only happened once. Since then I have continued to receive further payments, into my Wise account, without any "checks" being carried out.

Thomas T. Frost
Veronica Montserrat

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Checks Jun 15, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Then a couple of months ago, Wise unexpectedly suspended one particular payment from a client in Milan.

They asked me to provide full details of who the client was.

I sent them the client's name, postal address, and VAT no.

I tried using the chat function on the Wise website to ask them what this was all about.

Their only reply was along the lines of "don't worry about it; these are periodic checks we have to carry out. You should receive payment soon".

A couple of weeks later I did receive the payment with confirmation that "we have carried out the checks". No further explanation was given.

This has only happened once. Since then I have continued to receive further payments, into my Wise account, without any "checks" being carried out.

Money-laundering regulations and the checks they oblige banks to carry out seem to have reached a hysterical level. Danske Bank let €200 bio. be laundered from mostly Russian and Baltic accounts, resulting in possibly the largest money-laundering scandal in Europe ever. Much easier to annoy small businesses receiving modest amounts. Sometimes it can be triggered by 'suspicious' parts of the client name. I once read about the problems encountered by a person whose middle name is 'Iran', for example.

So Wise is not a guarantee against that sort of thing, nonsensical as it seems.

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Middle name Jun 15, 2022

Oh well - it all makes sense. I'm happy for those checks to be carried out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wise money transfers "blacklisted"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »