Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What to do if you complete a project and the project manager/agency/company does not respond?
Thread poster: Tim Schulze
Tim Schulze
Tim Schulze  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:55
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jun 4, 2022

Edward Potter wrote:

In my opinion, you haven't given it enough time yet.

If you are getting very worried, I would recommend something radical: make a telephone call. You can then nicely ask what is going on. Usually it is something like an accounting glitch or overworked PMs.

A friendly phone call can help solidify your relationship with the client and increase your understanding about how they operate.

Good luck!

Thank you! I will be a bit more patient and try a telephone call if nothing else helps

Tim Schulze
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Holidays Jun 4, 2022

Althea Draper wrote:

You don't mention where the client is based. Here in the UK just now we have extra 'bank holidays' for the Queen's jubilee as well as half term for schools in England meaning that many people have been on holiday for a week or so. So it might be something as simple as there being local holidays where your customer is based and there is just a skeleton staff in the office to deal with things.

To be fair, they are based in the UK. But we are talking about a time frame of above a week prior to the bank holidays'. As such, I would have appreciated a short answer, even. But well, you are right. Thank you, I'll keep that in mind!

Tim Schulze
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jun 4, 2022

Peter Shortall wrote:

Althea Draper wrote:

You don't mention where the client is based.

Yes, which country are they in?

It could be that the PM is on annual leave, but many agencies arrange for a colleague to reply to a PM's emails when the PM goes on leave, and an auto-responder is often set up in that situation. One agency that I know allows its PMs to use each other's email addresses, so I always have to look carefully at the end of emails so I know who I'm really dealing with, because the name often doesn't match the one I see when I look at the list of emails in my inbox!

Does "Isaac project" ring any bells, by any chance?

Yes, they are based in UK with their headquarters, though they seem to have other offices in other countries. Though one in Milan does not seem to exist, based on the article of another company visiting the address and not finding anything.

And that's true.

It does, yes. I got an "ISAAC Japanese Project" email on April 14th. I declined the project. Then they made me a profile on a website and told me to get the certificates for translation on it. Haven't heard from them since. Very confusing.

Tim Schulze
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back and Forth Jun 4, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

My gut feeling is that the agency is stonewalling you so that they do not have to generate an invoice thereby delaying payment. This is much more common than thought. A telephone call would probably solve things. But some large companies are stretched out over multiple countries and multiple continents: a head office in Manhattan and an accounting office in Israel, for example. Or a head office in Minnesota, delivered to an office in Hong Kong, to be edited in Tokyo and Mumbai with accounting in Ireland. I would avoid this type of company.

Mh, I know they have other offices, but where they do their accounting, etc. I do not know. And honeslty, I do not need that money urgently, so while it would certainly be a hassle and unnecessary complicated to counter their stonewalling and put up with the intentional delays, as long as I do get my money in the end, I would be happy with that result.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:55
Japanese to English
+ ...
No response Jun 4, 2022

Many agencies have offices in London and Manhattan but are in fact headquartered in some God-forsaken location East of Aden. Before you start doing business with a company, look at their website under Locations. Oftentimes it will be a geography lesson to places you have never been or have no intention of visiting.

Kevin Fulton
Tim Schulze
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

laurgi
laurgi  Identity Verified
German to French
Invoice Jun 4, 2022

Why don't you write your own invoice?

Tim Schulze
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jun 4, 2022

laurgi wrote:

Why don't you write your own invoice?

Well, they sent me a PDF with instructions on how they do things in regard to invoices. Since there is such a PDF, I didn't want to be rude and simply generate my own invoice. In the end, I might have to do as such, but for now, I want to wait, since it seems as though as of now, it's rather hard to say if the cicrcumstances were simply unfortunate or whether they are actively making things hard.

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Other thread Jun 4, 2022

Tim Schulze wrote:

Peter Shortall wrote:

Does "Isaac project" ring any bells, by any chance?

Yes, they are based in UK with their headquarters, though they seem to have other offices in other countries. Though one in Milan does not seem to exist, based on the article of another company visiting the address and not finding anything.

And that's true.

It does, yes. I got an "ISAAC Japanese Project" email on April 14th. I declined the project. Then they made me a profile on a website and told me to get the certificates for translation on it. Haven't heard from them since. Very confusing.

In that case, I would recommend that you read this thread, if you haven't seen it already:

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/348247.html

It's rather long, but there are some very interesting posts in there, particularly the last one about the purpose of the project, which tallies with what I had suspected all along! To summarise, many translators reported that they were either not paid at all for their work, or paid less than they expected - and the rates were very low to start with. The whole thing looks very shady, I would avoid it like the plague.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do if you complete a project and the project manager/agency/company does not respond?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »