Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Amounts Jun 9, 2022

madleen wrote:
Thank you. Can you share amounts, if you are comfortable with that?
Mind you, they want me to do both translation and interpretation when needed.

I would charge my usual hourly rate, whatever service I happen to be providing.

If I wasn't on standby for them, I would earn my hourly rate by working for other customers, so that has to be the minimum. I wouldn't agree to half my normal rate as Sadek says, because then I could end up earning less than normal.

A corporate customer will probably agree without blinking. But they might be on a budget, in which case they may suddenly have a better idea of how much time they need from you. Alternatively, you could offer a lower retainer but not guarantee immediate availability so that you can still accommodate other work.

Ultimately though it depends on your circumstances, how busy you are, whether you can afford to lose the work, etc. But you can always come down from a high starting price.

madleen
Sadek_A

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Kay Jun 9, 2022

Kay Denney wrote:

Ice Scream wrote:

I've had the odd month on a full-time retainer in the annual report season and spent most of that time working for other customers. Ker-ching!

But what happens if you're already on a tight deadline and suddenly Mr Retainer sends his stuff? He's paying you a retainer to remain available, so he expects you to jump to it and get his job done pronto. Do you simply pretend it'll take longer, to be able to finish your other job first? Or do you simply work later into the evening to get both done pronto?
(Since you don't use your real name here, I presume you can give an honest answer to this question !)

Absolutely not to the first question, and if necessary to the second... Obviously you have to be careful not to overcommit, but Mr Retainer isn't paying me to be available 24/7, just 8/5, so I could easily handle both lots of work.

(In my case, it wasn't a matter of work dribbling in throughout the month, but of the customer not originally knowing when the start date for 10 days' work will be, so booking for me for the whole month and then maybe letting me know on the 13th that it'll be coming to me on the 15th.)

Sadek_A

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:25
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Jun 9, 2022

madleen wrote:
Thank you

You are welcome.
madleen wrote:
All points make sense especially no. 7 . Thank you!
Because interpretation rates are different, the retainer should somehow reflect that.
I am trying to know how much of a retainer should be proposed

The half rate rule provides a balanced risk equally distributed between both parties. If they don't use your time, they've lost one half and you've lost the other. If they use it, you're both winners.
But, the more days a month you're required to remain on standby, the bigger the half you're losing, so your retainer should definitely take that expanded risk into account.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:25
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Jun 9, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:
I wouldn't agree to half my normal rate as Sadek says, because then I could end up earning less than normal.

Understandable.
But, how will you be charging for actual projects when awarded?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Direct client retainer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »