Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Local time: 23:19
Chinese to French
+ ...
explain your conditions Jun 24, 2022

Emily Gilby wrote:

"You said $25 per hour for editing. And 1000 words edited in 1 hour.
It’s a rate of $0.025 per word.

But your rate per word for editing is $0.06. That is $60 per hour.

Is this correct?"

I may be wrong, but i think your client (the agency's person) would like to know if you are able to edit 1,000 words per hour and if so, which is your fee in such condition ? Because this person would like you to effectively edit 1,000 per hour.
Just provide your favorite price and in the meantime, explain for why it should be higher (or lower) than your price per word.
It's a kind of bargain.
Just my way to see business.

Emily Gilby
Emily Gilby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:19
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jun 24, 2022

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! As I said in my original post, the rates I gave weren't my real ones, I changed the numbers for the post

Laurent Mercky

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
2 cents ... from a late comer to this discussion :) Jun 30, 2022

Are you and the agency on the same page as to the meaning of the term 'proofreading'?

For example:

1. $0.03 might be an acceptable rate for proofreading of the target text (i.e. no checking against the source, just correcting grammar, typos, spelling) = 1000 words/hour = $30.00/hour
2. Given the above rate for proofreading, an acceptable rate for revision (a.k.a. bilingual editing) might be $0.06 = 500 words/hour = $30.00/hour
3. Finally, rate
... See more
Are you and the agency on the same page as to the meaning of the term 'proofreading'?

For example:

1. $0.03 might be an acceptable rate for proofreading of the target text (i.e. no checking against the source, just correcting grammar, typos, spelling) = 1000 words/hour = $30.00/hour
2. Given the above rate for proofreading, an acceptable rate for revision (a.k.a. bilingual editing) might be $0.06 = 500 words/hour = $30.00/hour
3. Finally, rate for translation - $0.10 @ 300 words/hour = $30.00 per hour

As you see, your rate per hour remains the same, regardless of the service you're providing. It's a logical thing. You would have a hard time trying to justify different per-hour rates for different services. One hour of your time is just that.

[Edited at 2022-06-30 10:10 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
More cents ... from late comer Jun 30, 2022

Emily, consider using a simple Excel spreadsheet (see a template below).

Screenshot 2022-06-30 124250

This spreadsheet can help you understand which clients, project types, services are more profitable.

Emily Gilby

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Per hour vs per word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »