Thread poster: SABIHA KADRIBASIC
SABIHA KADRIBASIC
SABIHA KADRIBASIC  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 15:57
Bosnian to English
+ ...
Apr 28, 2022

One of the client from UK claims that Bosnia is on UK Government sanction list. It won't pay, while other client pays. I have checked UK Gov.site, there is only sanction list which covers two natural persons, not the country. I was supposed to receive payment on April, 1.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:57
Danish to English
+ ...
No reason not to pay Apr 28, 2022

As far as I can see, you are right. Only two named individuals are subject to sanctions, so that is not a valid reason for withholding payment.

You need to talk to them and point that out to them and let them know you will pursue all legal means to get paid, including taking them to court and reporting them for non-payment at Proz, which could result in their being banned from posting
... See more
As far as I can see, you are right. Only two named individuals are subject to sanctions, so that is not a valid reason for withholding payment.

You need to talk to them and point that out to them and let them know you will pursue all legal means to get paid, including taking them to court and reporting them for non-payment at Proz, which could result in their being banned from posting jobs here, and other sites such as paymentpractices.net.

It could be a misunderstanding, but it could also be deliberate fraud, trying to obtain free translations this way. In any case, if they were worried about sanctions, why did they only check that after delivery? It's dishonest to give you a task and then refuse to pay. Sounds like a shady or incompetent outfit.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Daryo

SABIHA KADRIBASIC
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to collect payment Apr 28, 2022

I have sent the list of sanctions to the client, even proof of payment that other client from UK paid. I asked to pay from the USA, Germany, as it has offices there, but it refused. Keeps claiming that its Compl.Dep. is trying to find the way to pay. At the beginning, client informed that payment was made. Then, when I said I received nth. it said my bank account does not exist. I provided proof, as I changed the bank and updated info in its poryal. When the Account manager saw that I am from ... See more
I have sent the list of sanctions to the client, even proof of payment that other client from UK paid. I asked to pay from the USA, Germany, as it has offices there, but it refused. Keeps claiming that its Compl.Dep. is trying to find the way to pay. At the beginning, client informed that payment was made. Then, when I said I received nth. it said my bank account does not exist. I provided proof, as I changed the bank and updated info in its poryal. When the Account manager saw that I am from Bosnia, I received info about sanction list. How can I chase it via proz? I have seen that it is blocked, but it is active under a new name. I have rated both sites on prozcom. JCollapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Doesn't sound good Apr 28, 2022

It sounds like they are giving you the runaround, and if they are blocked on Proz, they're probably dishonest.

When did you deliver, and when was the payment due? Were there any quality concerns? You can fill in a Blue Board entry and, while doing that, tick that you want to file a non-payment report too. Just be sure enough time has passed for them to pay. Otherwise they can claim there were quality problems and get your entry removed.

You can't say here who there are,
... See more
It sounds like they are giving you the runaround, and if they are blocked on Proz, they're probably dishonest.

When did you deliver, and when was the payment due? Were there any quality concerns? You can fill in a Blue Board entry and, while doing that, tick that you want to file a non-payment report too. Just be sure enough time has passed for them to pay. Otherwise they can claim there were quality problems and get your entry removed.

You can't say here who there are, but if you can tell me in a private email, I'll try to look them up.
Collapse

SABIHA KADRIBASIC
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Money matters Apr 28, 2022

No issues at all. Paym.was due on April 1. I received notice end March that it will pay on April 1. Well noted, I will do that.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Court procedure Apr 28, 2022

You can also let them know that if full payment has not been received within seven days from now, you will initiate court proceedings.

See https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

'You can apply online or by post.'

SABIHA KADRIBASIC
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Money matters May 4, 2022

Does anyone know how to make a claim if someone does not live in UK? I have tried one link but I cannot do anything.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment from UK company to translators from Bosnia

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »