Shady company behavior?
Thread poster: S_G_C
S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 00:49
English to Romanian
Apr 25, 2022

On March 15th I submitted a translation test following a job ad for my language combination here on proz.com.
I never got a reply from the person sending me the test. I will call them person A.

On March 22nd person B contacted me for the same job ad and the same translation test (they kept re-posting the ad).
So I resubmitted it.
This time, I got a reply - feedback to be communicated within 15 days.

On March 28th person A contacted me again for the sam
... See more
On March 15th I submitted a translation test following a job ad for my language combination here on proz.com.
I never got a reply from the person sending me the test. I will call them person A.

On March 22nd person B contacted me for the same job ad and the same translation test (they kept re-posting the ad).
So I resubmitted it.
This time, I got a reply - feedback to be communicated within 15 days.

On March 28th person A contacted me again for the same job ad and the same translation test.
I told them I had already submitted the test. Twice.

On April 15th person A replied again, telling me they had assigned the job to someone else. No other feedback provided.

Both person A and person B were representing a company from India in this communication.

But.

On April 23rd, person A contacted me again using another email address and another company name.

So now I'm wondering... who are these people actually representing or working for? Are they even for real?

[Edited at 2022-04-25 14:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-04-25 19:08 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sorana Apr 25, 2022

They are probably one of the many companies which have virtual head offices in London. A quick internet research reveals that their address in London is 86-90 Paul St, London EC2A 4NE which is a virtual office…

Mr. Satan (X)

S_G_C
S_G_C
Romania
Local time: 00:49
English to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Switch Apr 25, 2022

Teresa Borges wrote:

They are probably one of the many companies which have virtual head offices in London.

So why switch to it? Doesn't this affect their credibility?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Apr 25, 2022

Sorana_M. wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

They are probably one of the many companies which have virtual head offices in London.

So why switch to it? Doesn't this affect their credibility?

I suppose they think having a head office in London is generally regarded as more prestigious and it’s not obvious to everyone that this is a virtual one…

Emanuele Vacca
Mr. Satan (X)

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:49
Japanese to English
+ ...
Shady company behavior Apr 26, 2022

These agencies may have a virtual office in Mayfair or on Madison Avenue but they are in fact located somewhere in East Gavnyukistan. Check the "About us" part of their website and this will be borne out. Please do geographical due diligence.

Mr. Satan (X)

Maddison Norris
Maddison Norris  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:19
Chinese to English
Uh-oh May 13, 2022

Ah, I think I may have fallen victim to this company, was it "Universal Language Solutions"?
I did some work for them and had no issues and got paid, but the most recent work I did for them (in March) has not been paid and they are not responding to my emails.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Are you sure it is that company and not a scammer? May 13, 2022

Maddison Norris wrote:

Ah, I think I may have fallen victim to this company, was it "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"?
I did some work for them and had no issues and got paid, but the most recent work I did for them (in March) has not been paid and they are not responding to my emails.

The company you mention is legitimate outsourcer and shouldn't be discussed in a forum, as per the forum rules. If there are payment problems with them, it should be reported through the Blue Board, optionally associated with a non-payment report.

But first of all, you need to check that it was indeed the company you claim (e.g. [email protected]) and not a scammer (e.g. [email protected]) that contacted you.

Mr. Satan (X)

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:49
Japanese to English
+ ...
Shady behavior May 13, 2022

I have worked for Universal Language Solutions and have had no issues with them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shady company behavior?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »