Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
How is it possible to make a decent living when working at the low rates offered by some agencies?
Thread poster: Andrew Howarth
Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Local time: 01:57
Italian to English
+ ...
I hear you Feb 20, 2022

Ice Scream wrote:

Now my kids have gone, I could survive on 5 cents a word, 10,000 words a week, 45 weeks a year, no problem.

The KIDS. Now there's a luxury I should have known I couldn't afford. My pair are a financial black hole. Good people, mind.

P.L.F. Persio

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:57
Serbian to English
+ ...
You are right, but Feb 21, 2022

Laurent Di Raimondo wrote:

Given your language combination, which may offer high-paying jobs, the answer to your question is a resounding "no".

If I were in your shoes, I would stay away from this kind of so-called "translation agencies", which are mushrooming across the world and killing the profession from day to day. You should ignore them instead of chase them.

Could ever the vast majority of translators do likewise, instead of accepting to prostitute themself for a bundle of peanuts, it would have never come to your mind to post this topic... That's offer which creates demand, not the contrary. The more prostitutes dragging the market with low rates, the more clients offering more lower rates, and so on. That's as simple as that...

Pulling prices downwards has never proved to be a long-term paid-off strategy. For any profession.

[Modifié le 2022-02-08 09:05 GMT]

There is also an other element. The theoretical premises of "perfect availability of information" and "freedom to negotiate" all sound very nice, but are in fact just that - theoretical wishful thinking.

In the real world, the whole system is set in a way that for most translators there is a huge imbalance in negotiating power between the agency and the translator. Not helped by the improved worldwide access to other translators. Nor by the fact that the vast majority of translators are pretty poor negotiators.

Can't see much reasons for optimism.

Mr. Satan (X)
Jorge Payan

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:57
Japanese to English
+ ...
"How is it possible...." Feb 21, 2022

Quite simply, it isn't. Ditch the agencies and cultivate private clients.

Daryo
Noble Adounkpe
Paul Lambert
TTilch

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Portfolio Feb 21, 2022

Peter Motte wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

......on certain types of texts, you can be more productive if you use a CAT tool....

Only a few types. 90% of the time I find that after running a text through a CAT tool I still need to work very hard before it becomes presentable as a translation.

I wonder what kind of texts you do.
I've taken a look at your specialities, but that doesn't give a clue.

try looking at my "Portfolio" section

Gabriella Vento
Gabriella Vento  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:57
Member (2015)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not easy for sure Feb 21, 2022

In my language pairs (to and from Hungarian) 0.06 EUR or 0.07 USD is mostly accepted, but the amount of work is not enough to live even near comfortably. Rents start at 1,500 USD in the San Diego area, where I live. Outsourcers offer long payment terms, as 30-45 days, to make their company financially more stable, which is - in many cases - equal to an interest free loan that the freelancers forced to provide. Not to blame them though; They do because they can.
I guess, the way is to find
... See more
In my language pairs (to and from Hungarian) 0.06 EUR or 0.07 USD is mostly accepted, but the amount of work is not enough to live even near comfortably. Rents start at 1,500 USD in the San Diego area, where I live. Outsourcers offer long payment terms, as 30-45 days, to make their company financially more stable, which is - in many cases - equal to an interest free loan that the freelancers forced to provide. Not to blame them though; They do because they can.
I guess, the way is to find the direct clients; for contact info of those I'd give half of my kingdom, lol...
(Note: I translate ONLY Hungarian.)
Collapse

Baran Keki
Noble Adounkpe

Noble Adounkpe
Noble Adounkpe  Identity Verified
Benin
English to French
+ ...
I guess the trend is worlwide Feb 22, 2022

Hi. This thread caught my attention because I’ve recently been asking myself the same questions.

For more context, I am a trained translator at the outset of my career, I’ve been working for barely eight months now. I work from Benin, Africa which is an ideal place to live off translation rates as low as $0.04 (I guess) given that living standards aren’t that high. Heck, people live decently on less than $600 per month here which is more than what the government pays some of
... See more
Hi. This thread caught my attention because I’ve recently been asking myself the same questions.

For more context, I am a trained translator at the outset of my career, I’ve been working for barely eight months now. I work from Benin, Africa which is an ideal place to live off translation rates as low as $0.04 (I guess) given that living standards aren’t that high. Heck, people live decently on less than $600 per month here which is more than what the government pays some of its agents. You can even rent a decent apartment here for about $200 per month. So yes, some people do live off such rates. Depends on where you live and the life standards of your country.

Starting out, I made sure to look up the rates for my language combination (EN-FR) and knew how much I had to offer agencies and direct clients ($0.09 per source word). Funny enough, most agencies would turn down my offer or significantly lower the rates and this made me feel like it might be part of some location or race discrimination. I felt so bad I didn’t put up my profile picture for months until a recent suggestion by Proz.com Facebook CM, Andrew Morris as part of a better marketing approach.

Your post and the comments to it actually helped me notice low rates are now a general trend and that our profession is going through uneasy times. I already knew it was the case in my local market, I just didn’t know it cut across internationally.

I hope my answer helps confirm the trend is general as your question helped me notice it. It’s such a relief for me because I am now confident low rates coming from agencies aren’t necessarily due to some kind of discrimination against me and that I shouldn’t settle for lower than I offer in terms of services.
Collapse

Metin Demirel
Serhan Elmacıoğlu
Adieu
Teresa Zuhl
Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Correct Feb 22, 2022

However, also be advised that rates of ~0.09 are meant to generate annual incomes of $50-100k.

Don't spend TOO much time fighting for premium prices on small jobs.

Settling for work-for-food rates is indeed undesirable, but also don't let haggling over a couple cents in solidarity with high-expense, high-tax Western colleagues stand between you and a very comfortable upper-middle-class (or full-on upper-class) lifestyle.

It's not your fault your mortgage mi
... See more
However, also be advised that rates of ~0.09 are meant to generate annual incomes of $50-100k.

Don't spend TOO much time fighting for premium prices on small jobs.

Settling for work-for-food rates is indeed undesirable, but also don't let haggling over a couple cents in solidarity with high-expense, high-tax Western colleagues stand between you and a very comfortable upper-middle-class (or full-on upper-class) lifestyle.

It's not your fault your mortgage might well cost less than our personal health insurance.

Noble Adounkpe wrote:

For more context, I am a trained translator at the outset of my career, I’ve been working for barely eight months now. I work from Benin, Africa which is an ideal place to live off translation rates as low as $0.04 (I guess) given that living standards aren’t that high. Heck, people live decently on less than $600 per month here which is more than what the government pays some of its agents. You can even rent a decent apartment here for about $200 per month. So yes, some people do live off such rates. Depends on where you live and the life standards of your country.

Starting out, I made sure to look up the rates for my language combination (EN-FR) and knew how much I had to offer agencies and direct clients ($0.09 per source word). Funny enough, most agencies would turn down my offer or significantly lower the rates and this made me feel like it might be part of some location or race discrimination. I felt so bad I didn’t put up my profile picture for months until a recent suggestion by Proz.com Facebook CM, Andrew Morris as part of a better marketing approach.

Your post and the comments to it actually helped me notice low rates are now a general trend and that our profession is going through uneasy times. I already knew it was the case in my local market, I just didn’t know it cut across internationally.

I hope my answer helps confirm the trend is general as your question helped me notice it. It’s such a relief for me because I am now confident low rates coming from agencies aren’t necessarily due to some kind of discrimination against me and that I shouldn’t settle for lower than I offer in terms of services.

[Edited at 2022-02-22 15:51 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Moving Feb 22, 2022

Maybe I should move to Cameroon...

Adieu
Paul Lambert
Noble Adounkpe

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I can't relate Feb 23, 2022

Yes, indeed I have received offers for such appalling rates. I just refuse them. On to the next decent offer.

It would be hard to live off the low rates you are all discussing, but I am surprised that this topic comes up so often. There is definitely an impression going around outside of our industry that translation is a low-paid profession, but I just don't get it. I have made more money as a freelance translator than at any other job I've had.

I am not saying this to
... See more
Yes, indeed I have received offers for such appalling rates. I just refuse them. On to the next decent offer.

It would be hard to live off the low rates you are all discussing, but I am surprised that this topic comes up so often. There is definitely an impression going around outside of our industry that translation is a low-paid profession, but I just don't get it. I have made more money as a freelance translator than at any other job I've had.

I am not saying this to boast, either. I don't have any magic bullet or inside secret that most others don't have. What is it that I am doing right that others are doing wrong? (for a change in my life in general) ;0)
Collapse

Paul Lambert
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No relief Feb 23, 2022

Noble Adounkpe wrote:

Hi Noble,

Frankly, whether low rates are due to discrimination or just the natural trends in our industry should not make a difference to *you*. Low rates are low rates, and you still need to pay your bills, whether your clients are bigots or not. There is no relief in finding out that penny-pinching clients are open-minded in other respects.

However, if in the future you find geography to be a problem, you may want to consider (after a while) registering as a company with a virtual office in some other country. It is not that expensive and pretty easy to do. I won't advertise any particular provider, but rather put forth the idea. Having a business address in London, New York, Paris, Berlin etc is (rightly or wrongly) more prestigious than, say, in Ouagadougou, Harare, Kabul, Tashkent or Gaborone. It might come down to prejudice in some cases. You just have to contend with that. Whatever the motivations of clients, I promise you that you will not have to settle for such low rates if your client knows your business is based in a rich country. Make a rich-country living and pay the low living costs in your own country. Then you've got it made.

Jorge Payan
Noble Adounkpe

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Here's why Feb 23, 2022

Paul Lambert wrote:

I am not saying this to boast, either. I don't have any magic bullet or inside secret that most others don't have. What is it that I am doing right that others are doing wrong? (for a change in my life in general) ;0)

The Scandinavian languages are paid much better than others.

Mr. Satan (X)
Paul Lambert

Paul Lambert
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Perhaps an opportunity. Feb 23, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

I guess there is always that.

Tell you what, Tom, if you have the inclination, become fluent in one Scandinavian language and then you can (with much help of dictionaries and technical glossaries) translate all three Scandinavian languages. If you learn Swedish, for instance, you will not be good speaking and listening to Danish or Norwegian, but printed texts will be manageable. It will take practice, sure, but if we are talking about making a decent amount of money in this business, it might be a good investment of your time.

Christopher Schröder
Adieu

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Northern plights Feb 23, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

But Scandinavian translators have much higher living costs. Swings, roundabouts.

A more significant factor to my mind is that Scandinavian clients are less likely to take the mick on pricing than the British and others. Although the Swedes are rapidly heading in that direction.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:57
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Scandinavian rates Feb 23, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

I’m contacted regularly by agencies that haven’t gotten the message.

Christopher Schröder
Paul Lambert
P.L.F. Persio

Frederik Bossee
Frederik Bossee  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2013)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Indeed Mar 18, 2022

Jan Willem van Dormolen wrote:

Short answer: it is not.
Just stear away from those agencies. They're bad news.

I reacted to a job post the other day. Gave my rate for translation. Told them I was willing to negotiate on the rate.
Their reply: would you reconsider your rate and be willing to work for € 0,025 / word?
Think they misunderstood the negotiation part.

Or maybe ... I can accept, run their text through Google Translate and deliver that. Quality meets price.

[Bijgewerkt op 2022-03-18 13:51 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How is it possible to make a decent living when working at the low rates offered by some agencies?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »