Local time: 02:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 27, 2019

Hello,

I have a client asking me for prices in these services:
-Modifications (Per hour)
-Formatting (Per hour)
-Field testing (Per hour) and what exactly does this mean?

Can anyone give me an idea of how much to charge for these? I am not sure the type of documents he will be sending.

Thanks,
Laura.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:48
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Laura Aug 28, 2019

Laura Rios wrote:
I have a client asking me for prices in these services:
- Modifications (per hour)
- Formatting (per hour)
- Field testing (per hour) and what exactly does this mean?

1. You should try to figure out how many hours of this work you are able to do per day, and then set your hourly rate based on what your hourly rate would have been if you were working 8 hours a day. So, suppose you want to set a rate for transcription (which is not on your list, which is why I use it as an example), and if you find that transcription is so tiresome that you can't manage more than 5 hours of it per day, and if you had originally chosen a normal hourly rate of USD 30.00 per hour, then you should charge 30 x 8 / 5 = USD 48.00 per hour for transcription.

On the other hand, you may find that the client has his own ideas about what is a fair rate, and will refuse to pay any more than that. Or you may find that the client will tell you how many hours a job will take, and will want to pay you only for that many hours, regardless of how long it actually takes.

2. Where is your client located? And what is the language combination?

3. Field testing in the translation world typically means that you try to use the translation in simulated or real-world situations with other people (test subjects) to see if the translation needs to be changed in order to be effective. If the translation relates to a product or service, what you're field testing is the translation, and not the product or service. Often, test subjects are also paid for their participation, but their payment is not included in your hourly rate (make sure about this with the client!). Your hourly rate for field testing is for your *time* (and does not cover other expenses, e.g. travel and accommodation, which should be paid separately, depending on the actual job). Whether the client will also compensate you for your time during travelling or sleeping is up to the client.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:48
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
What your client is asking for. Aug 28, 2019

Simply charge your hourly rate that you normally charge.

Vladimir Morozov
Jorge Payan
Tina Vonhof (X)
Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)

Muzaffer Sharif Bhutta
Muzaffer Sharif Bhutta  Identity Verified
Pakistan
Local time: 11:48
Member (2018)
English to Urdu
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Charge routine hourly rate Aug 28, 2019

If you have a routine hourly rate, then charge this rate for these services.

Tina Vonhof (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge for this services?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »