Inițiatorul discuției: Dhananjay Rau
Dhananjay Rau
Dhananjay Rau  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:25
din germană în engleză
+ ...
Dec 19, 2018

I fell into a trap when I accepted a very small rush job from an agency I didn't know. The job was so small that I didn't bother to wait for a PO, which they promised to send later. I charged my normal rate. Subsequently, they kept sending me new questions and additional small work with apologies. This went of for a period of about three weeks. Then there was silence. No PO, no response to my reminders. The agency is in the USA and has a website that boasts a board of directors with high qualifi... See more
I fell into a trap when I accepted a very small rush job from an agency I didn't know. The job was so small that I didn't bother to wait for a PO, which they promised to send later. I charged my normal rate. Subsequently, they kept sending me new questions and additional small work with apologies. This went of for a period of about three weeks. Then there was silence. No PO, no response to my reminders. The agency is in the USA and has a website that boasts a board of directors with high qualifications, but does not think it needs to pay. Do I just forget about it or can I do something about it? Someone please advise.Collapse

Paolor FAIDANGBRIAYAO

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 18:55
Membru (2012)
din engleză în malteză
+ ...
The BB Dec 19, 2018

Dear Dhananjay,
I'm sorry for you but the first thing that comes to mind is the BB. Have you considered making an entry for them there? Communication by email also serves as proof that work had been commissioned. Have you phoned them too? These are the first steps. Good luck.
Best regards,
J. C.

Jennifer Forbes
James Hodges
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spania
Local time: 17:55
Membru (2007)
engleză
+ ...
You have every right to be paid Dec 19, 2018

Dhananjay Rau wrote:
The job was so small that I didn't bother to wait for a PO

A PO is simply a specification of the work. It isn't some magic formula for getting paid. I rarely receive them but I'm always paid.

Subsequently, they kept sending me new questions and additional small work with apologies

That's a clear indication that they had not only received the work, but were happy with it.

Do I just forget about it or can I do something about it?

If you haven't yet sent your invoice, do it now. If they come back and say they can't accept it, you can issue a revised one - with the same payment date - to include a PO ref., but if they don't offer one then they must, by law, accept your invoice.

If they fail to pay on time then you'll need to escalate your demand for payment in the usual way (reminders, final demand, etc). Just because it would be uneconomic to take them to court doesn't mean you do nothing, even though you won't want to spend a lot of time on it.

Definitely make use of the Blue Board to warn us of this poor client, but maybe leave it a bit. It's early days. But it would be useful to know if they're well known for trying to get work for free.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Paolor FAIDANGBRIAYAO
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A language agency has not paid for a completed job

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »