Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Photo ID with a picture required for a NDA?
Thread poster: Sachiko Kobata
Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:54
English to Latvian
+ ...
definitely scam Nov 25, 2018

Stepan Konev wrote:
No! Not at all. Don't even think of responding to such requests. This scheme is used for criminal purposes.

I have heard that Revolut asks to send a photo of a person holding an ID although I personally opened Revolut accout without this requirements. Revolut might need strict verification of an identity because they issue pre-paid cards that are attractive to criminals.

But if you think about it, someone else just needs to get your photo with you holding an ID and he can now open Revolut account on your name and it use for fraudulent activities.

Sachiko Kobata
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:54
Member (2005)
French to English
Unacceptable clauses Nov 25, 2018

The asker's agency sounds "sus", especially if it doesn't explicitly adhere to the GDPR.

Somewhat in this connection, I was approached by an agency that included punitive clauses such as a 20% cut for not filling in a checklist.

Clearly, such terms are obstructive and unacceptable, and I advise colleagues not to contract on terms such as these.

To conclude, avoid complying blindly with anything unreasonable or out of the ordinary - the same advice given fo
... See more
The asker's agency sounds "sus", especially if it doesn't explicitly adhere to the GDPR.

Somewhat in this connection, I was approached by an agency that included punitive clauses such as a 20% cut for not filling in a checklist.

Clearly, such terms are obstructive and unacceptable, and I advise colleagues not to contract on terms such as these.

To conclude, avoid complying blindly with anything unreasonable or out of the ordinary - the same advice given for scams, as it happens.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren (IanDhu - translator 41189).
Collapse

Sachiko Kobata
Sachiko Kobata  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Definitely I will not send any Photo ID. Nov 26, 2018

Stepan Konev wrote:

Why don't you ask them about their purpose?

Tilman Loeffler wrote:
both clients were from Russia, so I figured it may be rather common over there.

No! Not at all. Don't even think of responding to such requests. This scheme is used for criminal purposes.
If you can't help yourself from ignoring your reason, take some protective steps: redact your signature or add a diagonal watermark as a minimum so that it goes across your signature. You can easily do it with use of Adobe Acrobat (Tools > Watermark > Add Watermark...).
However the best way would be avoiding such requests. Cyprus... They produce train-loads of offshore companies everyday. They always need new fake directors for their offshore products. Think.

Thank you for your reply. After reading all the responses, I will not send my ID copy to this agent. Anyway the payment is already done.

I really appreciate all the responses to my thread.

Maria da Glória Teixeira
Maria da Glória Teixeira  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:54
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Weird Nov 26, 2018

It also occurred to the client to ask me for a photo and my passport number, I believe it is to make sure that the translator is from the native language for the project announced

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Increasing n° of posts here on this subject Nov 26, 2018

Am I mistaken, or are we not seeing an increasing number of posts on this subject? I suppose the fact that you are seen holding the ID shows that at the time the photo was taken you were physically in possession of the ID in question. It probably reduces the risk that someone is trying to pass themselves off as you.

However, as with anything these days, it is so easy to falsify documents and/or to obtain them by illicit means and use them fraudulently, that some people/entities are
... See more
Am I mistaken, or are we not seeing an increasing number of posts on this subject? I suppose the fact that you are seen holding the ID shows that at the time the photo was taken you were physically in possession of the ID in question. It probably reduces the risk that someone is trying to pass themselves off as you.

However, as with anything these days, it is so easy to falsify documents and/or to obtain them by illicit means and use them fraudulently, that some people/entities are showing signs of paranoïa when it comes to ID!

Edit: As Kaspars points out, there is still nothing to stop a third party with malicious intent using that photo for an illicit purpose. There comes a point where the client has to trust the freelancer to do a good job and the freelancer has to trust the client to pay them. There is a fundamental point at which trust has to enter the equation. Sometimes it backfires but most of the time, if you're careful, essential precautions suffice.

[Edited at 2018-11-26 12:29 GMT]
Collapse

Maria da Glória Teixeira

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:54
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You were talking about your clients' asking you to send them a photocopy of your ID Nov 26, 2018

Thayenga wrote:

A couple of clients have already asked me to send a copy of a valid ID. Of course I was reluctant to comply, and first did some research.

Based on the money laundering law in various countries, customers may require a copy of a photo ID because anybody could be hidden behind a name or address. Therefore, it is a legitimate request, though still not very common. Based on my research results, I did send a copy of my ID. However, in accordance with the law I blackened the ID card, or in my case, my passport number and the partially visible address.

Customers are only entitled to see a copy of your ID/passport, in some cases the driver's license, with your name on it and the stamp/signature of the issuing authority. Any other information, especially the ID number, are irrelevant to the customer, and they are not entitled to request such sensitive information.

while the OP was talking about her client asking her to send in a picture of hers on which she holds her own ID.

I think you were talking about different requests.

[Edited at 2018-11-26 13:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-11-26 13:27 GMT]

Maria da Glória Teixeira
Brazil
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Weird Nov 26, 2018

It also occurred to the client to ask me for a photo and my passport number, I believe it is to make sure that the translator is from the native language for the project announced

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
What does this request has to do with an NDA? Nov 26, 2018

Sachiko Kobata wrote:

I have worked with a customer, who paid me already for the project but asks me to send a picture of my ID with me, holding the document (passport).

It sounds me so strange that I have to send a picture of myself with a photo of my passport so I didn't send it yet, but is this normal to require translators to send this kind of confidential document copy?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:54
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Pointless Nov 26, 2018

Maria Da Glória Teixeira Dos Santos wrote:

I'm hoping to get a Spanish passport soon, so I can remain an EU citizen. My level of Spanish will hopefully qualify me for that, even though there's no way it would qualify as a source language - let alone my native one!

Maria da Glória Teixeira

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Not necessarily Nov 27, 2018

Often it's to prove that you're a real person, but again as someone has mentioned already, be careful about identity fraud. It has happened, and unfortunately will happen again. Asking for passport number/photo/graduation diploma etc is a very typical move in certain parts of East Asia, but I usually only come across that kind of request when I am actually applying for a job. I've been asked to bring in my transcripts, diploma, passport and similar documents just for an interview, and this happened several times.

Personally I would refuse to give this information over email to a client who I am not even sure will actually win the bid to the project, but the choice is entirely yours.

Maria da Glória Teixeira

Maria da Glória Teixeira
Brazil
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks Nov 27, 2018

Rita Pang wrote:

Often it's to prove that you're a real person, but again as someone has mentioned already, be careful about identity fraud. It has happened, and unfortunately will happen again. Asking for passport number/photo/graduation diploma etc is a very typical move in certain parts of East Asia, but I usually only come across that kind of request when I am actually applying for a job. I've been asked to bring in my transcripts, diploma, passport and similar documents just for an interview, and this happened several times.

Personally I would refuse to give this information over email to a client who I am not even sure will actually win the bid to the project, but the choice is entirely yours.

To conclude after I supplied the passport number the customer did not contact, I sent messages just said that they had already filled the vacancy. Thanks for the information, I will be more attentive to this information.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Photo ID with a picture required for a NDA?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »