Autor vlákna: Elena Sosno
Elena Sosno
Elena Sosno  Identity Verified
Austrálie
Local time: 06:42
angličtina -> ruština
+ ...
Aug 6, 2012

Hi, my very good friend is starting a new site related to car sales (advertisements of private car sellers and dealers) similar to cars dot com or autotrader dot com. Ads will also include different accessories and spare parts. English is not his native language and he needs help in evaluation of the site name - he wants to name it "carplaza" or "plazamotors". "Plaza"here is supposed to be used in the meaning of "big shopping area".
Do you think this name is suitable for the content descr
... See more
Hi, my very good friend is starting a new site related to car sales (advertisements of private car sellers and dealers) similar to cars dot com or autotrader dot com. Ads will also include different accessories and spare parts. English is not his native language and he needs help in evaluation of the site name - he wants to name it "carplaza" or "plazamotors". "Plaza"here is supposed to be used in the meaning of "big shopping area".
Do you think this name is suitable for the content described? Does it sound "nice" to an English speaker or does it sound strange? Which variant is better, if any.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Collapse

Kim Olson
Kim Olson  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:42
Člen (2009)
portugalština -> angličtina
+ ...
Native English speaker's impression Aug 6, 2012

Hi Elena,

In my opinion, both "carplaza" and "plazamotors" sound perfectly acceptable - nothing strange or off about either. I think "carplaza" best describes the type of place your friend is envisioning - a wide offering/array of things. "Plazamotors" sounds more to me like a small-town autobody/sales name - a place more limited in scope.

Hope my two cents help!

Kim Olson

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Kanada
Člen (2008)
francouzština -> angličtina
+ ...
Good name Aug 6, 2012

Not unusual or "small town" at all. In fact, see www.plazamotors.com. The problem may be a name that's already in use.

neilmac
neilmac
Španělsko
Local time: 22:42
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
Both OK Aug 6, 2012

Caveat: names like "car warehouse/auto warehouse /car market /automarket" are all used somewhere or other, so I think either of the 2 plaza options looks good.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
Local time: 21:42
italština -> angličtina
OK but Aug 6, 2012

rather more common in American than British English, I suspect.

Translating from Italian, I quite regularly have to explain to Italian clients why plaza is not a good option in British English.

However, for your friend's purposes, both options are fine, even if they don't have the shopping centre connotation to British ears. Carplaza would be my preference incidentally.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
portugalština -> angličtina
+ ...
Agreed, definitely not British Aug 6, 2012

I'm with Russell on that but perhaps fine if aiming at the U.S. market.

Nicky La Touche
Nicky La Touche
italština -> angličtina
+ ...
Agree Aug 6, 2012

I agree with Lisa and Russell. However, since you cannot ever make everyone happy, go for CarPlaza. It is very clear what the company does.
Regards,
Nicky

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
ruština -> angličtina
+ ...
It sounds perfect , Aug 6, 2012

just like in Brooklyn. Both alternatives sound natural.

pgschreier
pgschreier  Identity Verified
Švýcarsko
němčina -> angličtina
Plaza in UK English Aug 7, 2012

Hi Russel,

An American is curious why "plaza" does not work in UK English?

-- Paul
(who moved to Europe from the Boston area)

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
italština -> angličtina
Plaza in the UK Aug 7, 2012

Hi Paul

It's not that the word is unknown to Brits, it is just very rarely used, especially in the sense of "big shopping area".

In ordinary speech, it would just sound like a pretentious term for an urban open space. As part of a trade name though, it would not seem especially strange.

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Španělsko
Člen (2011)
španělština -> angličtina
+ ...
'Plaza' doesn't mean anything to me in UK English Aug 7, 2012

Carspace

Carcentre/Carcenter

Carmall

I'm afraid I associate the word 'plaza' with its meaning in Spanish and I would immediately think, 'Oh someone who likes Spanish/is Spanish owns the business'.

I'm just being truthful.

I don't even know how you pronounce the word in English: plaza (z as in mother)? platha (z as in path)?

[Edited at 2012-08-07 19:24 GMT]

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
Spojené státy americké
ruština -> angličtina
+ ...
Well, it is bread and butter in New York Aug 7, 2012

No one would question the word in New York, and all English-speaking people would know how to pronounce it right away. It is very common in such contexts.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
Velká Británie
hebrejština -> angličtina
My old stomping ground........ Aug 7, 2012

is called "Broadway Plaza" in Birmingham (England). It is used in the UK - pronunciation is anglicized with a "Z" as in "Zebra" (IPA: plaːzə) and it usually signifies some kind of "square" or specified communal/outside area (the shopping area connotation isn't strong in England though so for the OP's purpose it indeed would not be good for a specific UK market although UK speakers would surely make the connection).

[Edited at 2012-08-07 21:25 GMT]

Elena Sosno
Elena Sosno  Identity Verified
Austrálie
Local time: 06:42
angličtina -> ruština
+ ...
AUTOR TÉMATU
thank you Aug 8, 2012

I will pass all remarks to my friend. Thank you all a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help from native English speakers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »