KudoZ questions without enough context - what can be done?
Thread poster: eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
eurotransl (X)
German to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2001

We all see many KudoZ questions where the asker does not provide sufficient information for us to answer the question correctly.

Many wrongly assume that pasting the entire paragraph is enough (although nowadays we are lucky if the asker does this much ). In order to give a good answer, we need to know more about the type of text, the intended \"target audience\", etc. The asker must inform us of the full context and \"co-t
... See more
We all see many KudoZ questions where the asker does not provide sufficient information for us to answer the question correctly.

Many wrongly assume that pasting the entire paragraph is enough (although nowadays we are lucky if the asker does this much ). In order to give a good answer, we need to know more about the type of text, the intended \"target audience\", etc. The asker must inform us of the full context and \"co-text\".

Don\'t forget: the asker has seen the entire document or set of documents before him/her; we have not.

For example, accounting terms cannot be translated properly in a \"vacuum\". We need to know whether the term is to be used under IAS or US-GAAP rules, etc.

Another example: questions dealing with bits and pieces taken out of legal documents dealing with a court case or other legal proceedings. It would be nice to know a bit about the background of such a case before giving an answer. The translation of legal terminology may differ greatly at times depending on the exact type of legal procedure - also: does the asker require a translation in everyday language or in proper \"legalese\"?

Of course, it is up to every asker to decide what type of information he/she wishes to include in the question. But perhaps ProZ could create a page that every asker is shown before posting a question that reminds the asker to provide all necessary information (incl. examples of information and background most frequently needed for answering such questions).

Just a thought

===

Update: That\'s a good idea, Henry. Let\'s see how it works out.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-07-09 07:21 ]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:19
SITE FOUNDER
Jul 9, 2001

Good point regarding context, and how a paragraph may not tell enough.

I added a function to allow those with 500 KudoZ points to ask for more context from the asker. If it works in this test phase, I I will extend the option to those with 100 KudoZ points.

ivw (X)
ivw (X)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jul 9, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-07-09 02:05, Henry wrote:

I added a function to allow those with 500 KudoZ points to ask for more context from the asker. If it works in this test phase, I will extend the option to those with 100 KudoZ points.

Hi Henry:

I\'m not sure if I understand correctly. Are you saying that those who already have a lot of points will have an even greater chance to provid... See more
Quote:

I added a function to allow those with 500 KudoZ points to ask for more context from the asker. If it works in this test phase, I will extend the option to those with 100 KudoZ points.

Hi Henry:

I\'m not sure if I understand correctly. Are you saying that those who already have a lot of points will have an even greater chance to provide the correct answers and therefore to earn more points? To some extent, I see your point -- it wouldn\'t be wise to let newbies bother the askers -- but perhaps only one designated person (w/ high points) for each language pair should be granted this option, just like we have only a few moderators.

Where will the answers to such questions go? In a private message or will they be announced publicly? ▲ Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:19
SITE FOUNDER
Jul 16, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-07-09 11:45, ivw wrote:

Quote:

Hi Henry:

I\'m not sure if I understand correctly... See more
Quote:

On 2001-07-09 11:45, ivw wrote:

Quote:

Hi Henry:

I\'m not sure if I understand correctly. Are you saying that those who already have a lot of points will have an even greater chance to provide the correct answers and therefore to earn more points

No, their requests for more info are public, as are the replies. Everyone has the same access to info. ▲ Collapse

Paula Vaz-Carreiro
Paula Vaz-Carreiro  Identity Verified
Portuguese
+ ...
An attempt to revive this discussion Dec 24, 2009

After a considerable absence, I have recently started answering questions again on Proz.

To my dismay I find that the number of questions (in my pairs) which are posted without even an attempt to give context, has not diminished; quite the reverse.

Personally, I find this very frustrating as often one interrupts one's own work to attempt an answer only to find that there is no adequate context. Then one has to decide to leave it or to ask for more context. Having to ask
... See more
After a considerable absence, I have recently started answering questions again on Proz.

To my dismay I find that the number of questions (in my pairs) which are posted without even an attempt to give context, has not diminished; quite the reverse.

Personally, I find this very frustrating as often one interrupts one's own work to attempt an answer only to find that there is no adequate context. Then one has to decide to leave it or to ask for more context. Having to ask for more context is not fair on those trying to answer.

At one point I thought peers would refrain from answering such questions and that that would become a mechanism to stop people posting context-less questions. It doesn't work. People answer everything even when there is no possibility of giving a meaningful answer.

It seems to me that the only solution would be to give moderators the power to withdrawn such questions (the same way they are instructed to remove questions with more than 10 words to be translated).

Well, these are my thoughts and I'd love to hear other people's opinions.
Thank you.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:19
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
types of askers Jul 11, 2010

There is somebody posting questions in the Russian-Romanian Kudoz section. Russian to Romanian questions are very seldom, so I am always eager to find the right answer. It is also very interesting, let's admit it... especially because I had few translation projects in this pair.

But the asker is really not participative. There is no context, I asked once for a little bit more context, but received none. Then I observed that he/she leaves the questions opened and there are really few
... See more
There is somebody posting questions in the Russian-Romanian Kudoz section. Russian to Romanian questions are very seldom, so I am always eager to find the right answer. It is also very interesting, let's admit it... especially because I had few translation projects in this pair.

But the asker is really not participative. There is no context, I asked once for a little bit more context, but received none. Then I observed that he/she leaves the questions opened and there are really few active kudoz users in this pair, so the chances to get an agree are little. Then I decided to not answer the last question, even though I know the answer.

I am just wondering how can one ask for help not having the courtesy to say "please" or "thank you". Personally, I find it rude. Maybe rude questions should be removed, as rude forum posts are. This would be, of course, a disadvantage for kudoz open glossary, but since these questions are left opened usually, I think there is no danger
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ questions without enough context - what can be done?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »