jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:13
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
In my language pairs Oct 27, 2023

A few linguists who are native in neither the source nor target language answered questions using AI once in a while. In a few cases, their answers were chosen as the best by the askers. It is not a problem at all for those answers to be awarded KudoZ points. It could be problematic if you decline to award points to the best answer only because it is AI-generated.

[Edited at 2023-10-27 21:51 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:13
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I often answers without any references as most useful Oct 27, 2023

expressisverbis wrote:
Answers without references/sources are rarely worth my attention.

[Edited at 2023-10-27 09:39 GMT]

It is often the case that the asker has exhausted on-line resources for a term they have difficulty translating, and it may be precisely because they couldn't find any references/sources that they turn to KudoZ for help. For this kind of questions, it is highly likely that an answerer wouldn't be able to find any references/sources either, but this fact wouldn't rule out the possibility that he or she would still provide a sound/valid solution.

I often award points to answerers who don't provide any references. Likewise, my answers not backed up by any references are often chosen as the most helpful. References are not always needed, although they are good to have.

[Edited at 2023-10-28 03:50 GMT]

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:13
German to English
+ ...
Accept it. Nov 1, 2023

Marjolein Snippe wrote (edited):

I have a suspicion that some translators on this site are using ChatGPT (or similar) to generate answers in Kudoz that they then present as their own.

Would it be useful to add a tick box or something similar to have users declare that this is their own answer, not a machine-generated text?

Useful? Ideally, yes. Though the people who resort to (and perhaps tweak) Linguee, DeepL and ChatGPT probably won't admit it. Would be embarrassing. Silly, too good et al.

mk_lab

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using ChatGPT in Kudoz

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »