Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Ever Been Tempted To Use The Kudoz "Disagree" comment as a Weapon?
Thread poster: Renvi Ulrich
Renvi Ulrich
Renvi Ulrich  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 18:38
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Aug 28, 2023

Hey there, fellow Prozians! I thought of sharing my opinion on this topic today.

The Kudoz forum is a great way for professional translators to get started or grow in their careers, as it helps them advance their skills, showcase their talents, and improve their ranking in the translator’s directory, all while giving fellow professionals a hand. However, if used wrongly, it might have the opposite effect. Let’s talk specifically about the “Disagree” comment. It’s like a s
... See more
Hey there, fellow Prozians! I thought of sharing my opinion on this topic today.

The Kudoz forum is a great way for professional translators to get started or grow in their careers, as it helps them advance their skills, showcase their talents, and improve their ranking in the translator’s directory, all while giving fellow professionals a hand. However, if used wrongly, it might have the opposite effect. Let’s talk specifically about the “Disagree” comment. It’s like a superpower, but with great power comes great responsibility. Here are two pitfalls to avoid.

Not an Attack Weapon

Don't get defensive when someone hits the disagree button on your answer. It's not a personal attack, and it doesn't mean that your answer is wrong. Instead of arguing, try to understand why they disagree with you and see if you can provide a better explanation.
What if someone repeated the same answer as you, way after you first posted, or you simply don’t like the answer? Don’t be quick to hit the disagree button, as it doesn’t help anyone. Remember, we are all here to help each other, not to bring each other down.

Not a Defense Weapon Either

Don't get defensive when someone hits the disagree button on your answer. It's generally not a personal attack. Instead of arguing, try to understand why they disagree with you and see if you can provide a better explanation. We are all there to learn and improve, and constructive criticism is essential for that.

Now, what if you took a lot of time to research and document your proposal, and someone disagreed only to bring you down and promote his answer? You may be tempted to go ahead and disagree with his answer as well. In this case, remember that the world is watching you and will judge you on your reaction. Stay calm and resist the urge to fight back. If you choose to respond to his note, do so politely. The community knows these unfair tricks and will generally not be misled.

Why does it matter?

Your reaction on the forum can give clients and recruiters an idea of what you know, but also who you are. Most of the recruiters who visit your Proz.com profile are interested in two pages: Contact page and, you guessed it, Kudoz (answered)! So remember, use your superpowers wisely!

Have you ever felt like using the “Disagree” button as a weapon? If so, please share your experience with us here.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Renvi Aug 28, 2023

Is there a reason for you to repeat exactly what you said a few days ago? (https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/363481-ask_anything_about_how_to_launch_or_grow_your_translation_career.html). I'm a pacifist at heart! I rarely use the “disagree” button and every time I did it was for people who had en... See more
Is there a reason for you to repeat exactly what you said a few days ago? (https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/363481-ask_anything_about_how_to_launch_or_grow_your_translation_career.html). I'm a pacifist at heart! I rarely use the “disagree” button and every time I did it was for people who had entered pretty much nonsensical answers (people who see themselves as polyglots and so able to answer any question even in languages they don’t master). Otherwise, I prefer remaining silent…

[Edited at 2023-08-28 16:52 GMT]
Collapse

Jennifer Levey
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Barbara Carrara
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Andy Watkinson
ahartje

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Renvi Aug 28, 2023

Renvi Ulrich wrote:
Have you ever felt like using the (Kudoz) “Disagree” button as a weapon? If so, please share your experience with us here.

No I haven't.
But I'd be sorely tempted to hit the 'Disagree' button on your opening post in this thread - if only we had that option.
JL

Philip Lees
Barbara Carrara
ahartje

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Renvi Ulrich
Cameroon
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
@All Aug 29, 2023

Thank you for your feedback. Beyond the tone or sometimes the words used, I see very useful feedback. I will take them into consideration as I keep polishing my approach. So, please don't change anything.

I remain convinced that there are thousands of fellows out there looking for just this kind of info. Your comments can only help guide me to the right way of reaching them. So, thank you all

For our colleagues that shy away from forums because of negative comments, ple
... See more
Thank you for your feedback. Beyond the tone or sometimes the words used, I see very useful feedback. I will take them into consideration as I keep polishing my approach. So, please don't change anything.

I remain convinced that there are thousands of fellows out there looking for just this kind of info. Your comments can only help guide me to the right way of reaching them. So, thank you all

For our colleagues that shy away from forums because of negative comments, please let us know what you think about the suggestions given here. A good one to you all.

[Edited at 2023-08-29 07:54 GMT]
Collapse

Renvi Ulrich
Cameroon
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
@Maria Aug 29, 2023

I agree with you. There are times were disagreeing is useful, like when you are convinced that the answer is totally off. A good rule that I apply in all cases is to address the idea but spare the person.

Renvi Ulrich
Cameroon
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
@Baran Aug 29, 2023

Very insightful, thank you.

Renvi Ulrich
Cameroon
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
@Baran: Posting articles on Wordpress Aug 29, 2023

Maybe this can help: https://delante.co/how-to-publish-an-article-on-wordpress/

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 19:38
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Live and let live... Aug 29, 2023

... is a beautiful saying that, judging by the vitriol that is rampant on these pages, deserves more attention. I think I'll change the bookmark name of this website into "Grumpy old men and women vitriol for translators".

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Samuel Murray
Philip Lees

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Common sense and professionalism Aug 29, 2023

Renvi Ulrich wrote:

I remain convinced that there are thousands of fellows out there looking for just this kind of info.

I apologise for what I'm about to say, but the kind of information you're detailing here is part of common sense and professionalism. There's nothing new.
A self-respecting translator isn't going to start "shooting" disagrees and using them as a "weapon".
In any case, the use of peer comments (agree, mainly disagree and neutral) is defined in the site's FAQ.
"Peer comments must be based on linguistic considerations and said considerations must be provided in case of disagree or neutral comments. This is the only valid way to comment on a KudoZ answer."
You just need to be professional, cordial, respectful and have common sense to communicate in a forum like this or any other.
For others (colleagues and clients, or the entire Proz community in general), our actions and words reveal much more than we think.
So, it's a matter of being able to make good, reasonable and prudent judgements and behave sensibly/professionally.

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Matthias Brombach
ahartje
Baran Keki
Philip Lees

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Nothing to say... Aug 29, 2023

...anything against repeating and repeating the same topics again and again, although it seems that this site seems to be frequented by always the same handful of people (like me). On the other side there are still newcomers looking or asking for advise and it doesn't hurt when they are given advise. For those who are annoyed of that in the manner shown here, please move your fighting zone to other areas (for example to the KudoZ site, where you may use the "Disagree" button as a kind of weapon)... See more
...anything against repeating and repeating the same topics again and again, although it seems that this site seems to be frequented by always the same handful of people (like me). On the other side there are still newcomers looking or asking for advise and it doesn't hurt when they are given advise. For those who are annoyed of that in the manner shown here, please move your fighting zone to other areas (for example to the KudoZ site, where you may use the "Disagree" button as a kind of weapon).Collapse

expressisverbis
Lieven Malaise
Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik
Baran Keki

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Aug 29, 2023

Everything I've ever heard about Kudoz here has put me right off ever spending time there.
I try to be civil to all and sundry here, because I'm a decent human being, but honestly, clients don't spend time here or in Kudoz, so telling us it's important to be civil so clients don't get put off by our attitood is not very useful. After all, Ice Scream and Tom in London do not trade under those names, they can say what they like without ever being judged.

Christopher Schröder
Aurélien ARPAZ
Becca Resnik
Matthias Brombach

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Aug 29, 2023

Kay Denney wrote:
After all, Ice Scream and Tom in London do not trade under those names, they can say what they like without ever being judged.

Yeah, right…😂😂

I would agree that no clients trawl this site expecting exemplary behaviour. But if I myself had something I needed doing, I have a very clear idea who I would and would not ask in each pair…

Michele Fauble
Becca Resnik
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ever Been Tempted To Use The Kudoz "Disagree" comment as a Weapon?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »