Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
By the way, Jul 12, 2023

In Portuguese Ai is an interjection that expresses pain or joy…

Philippe Locquet
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
that post was clearly written by AI Jul 12, 2023

Zea_Mays (or rather AI) wrote:

all that stuff in the previous post

which was clearly written by AI

Jorge Payan
Rita Translator

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:39
Greek to English
Sloth Jul 13, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

And "ai" is another name for the pale-throated sloth.

Isn't that interesting?

expressisverbis

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 17:39
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Battle Jul 13, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:
It's worth noting that AI models like ChatGPT are continually improving, and there are ongoing efforts to make generated text more indistinguishable from human-written text. As a result, these indicators may become less reliable over time.

I am currently translating software content for a company specializing in plagiarism and AI writing detection. It's an interesting battle.

Zea_Mays
Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
really? Jul 13, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

Didn't you say no one can say if a text was written by AI?

Christopher Schröder

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
40+ language pairs Jul 13, 2023

I saw someone answering questions in more than 40 language pairs, including EN-IT... Some of their answers looked pretty good to me... I thought they just had a lot of friends

expressisverbis
Zea_Mays
Christel Zipfel
Angie Garbarino

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Human judgement vs. algorithm Jul 13, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Didn't you say no one can say if a text was written by AI?

I don't believe anyone said that a human can't form a judgement as to the origin of a text. What's being said, or at least implied, is that no one at ProZ has the time to read every answer and decide whether it's AI or not, so it would have to be done by an algorithm. And posters are stating that it is extremely difficult to write an algorithm that can differentiate between an AI-generated and a human-generated text.

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Context, for asker and for AI Jul 13, 2023

Zea_Mays wrote:
- Lack of contextual awareness: While AI models excel at generating text, they might sometimes fail to fully understand the context or nuances of a conversation. This can lead to generic or off-topic responses.

No. As I demonstrate in a recent video with Bing (free) https://youtu.be/u4nROnmnIxI , you can feed LLMs context very efficiently, this is a main difference with MT (needs to be retrained, or other systems to take context into account).
So it wouldn't be hard with the context provided by the asker to create a prompt asking an LLM to create an output according to that specific context.

- Overuse of certain phrases: AI models might exhibit repetitive patterns, use specific phrases, or rely on templates more frequently than a human would.

Yes, that may be used to our advantage with Kudoz.

- Output length and speed: AI models can generate lengthy and detailed responses quickly, which may be an indication that the text was generated by an AI rather than a human who typically takes more time to compose a similar response.

True!

Bearing in mind the last two points, if an asker wants human answers only, they could ask first theLMM for an output (maybe it will give them what they're looking for, which would save time) and then paste the LLM's output in their comments when posting. It would be quite fast to do and as robots have a tendency to repeat the same thing (or a close variation) it would be easy to weed out non-human answers in the event where the LLM wouldn't be right (if it gives the correct answer, then it's likely that human answers will be very close or identical to the LLM).

Challenging!

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Context and AI Jul 13, 2023

Philippe Locquet wrote:

Zea_Mays wrote:
- Lack of contextual awareness: While AI models excel at generating text, they might sometimes fail to fully understand the context or nuances of a conversation. This can lead to generic or off-topic responses.

No. As I demonstrate in a recent video with Bing (free) https://youtu.be/u4nROnmnIxI , you can feed LLMs context very efficiently, this is a main difference with MT (needs to be retrained, or other systems to take context into account).
So it wouldn't be hard with the context provided by the asker to create a prompt asking an LLM to create an output according to that specific context.

As AI does not have a conscious mind, it still doesn't manage to make correct use of such context all the time. Here is a practical example with ChatGPT from yesterday:

I asked it (the whole conversation was in Danish): 'Are there any Danish rules for how footnote cues and the footnotes themselves are written?'

It listed some rules and then proceeded to say: 'It's important to note that there may be variations in practice depending on the writing style you follow, such as Chicago Manual of Style, APA or MLA.

Style guides for English obviously have no relevance for Danish, which it admitted when I pointed it out.

Then I asked it for the source of the rules it had listed.

'The main source of the Danish spelling rules is "Dansk Retskrivningsordbog", published by Dansk Sprognævn,' it said. That is indeed the official Danish orthography and style guide. I had just been unable to find anything about footnotes in it.

As it was sidestepping the question, I asked it again which chapter in that book contained the rules it had just quoted.

Reply: 'I apologise for the confusion in my previous answer. As an AI model, I do not have direct access to specific sources such as the "Dansk Retskrivningsordbog" or the ability to quote specific paragraphs from it. I cannot provide specific references or paragraphs from the source.

My answers were based on general guidelines for footnote referencing and footnote formatting that are widely recognised in academic writing across different language areas. I apologise for giving the impression that these guidelines are specifically laid out in the "Dansk Retskrivningsordbog".'

Even a teenager would instantly have understood that quoted American style guides for English when the question is about Danish is completely irrelevant, but AI still cannot handle such elementary logic.

Another problem is the difficulty of getting a precise answer with source to a precise question. AI tends to produce a lot of waffle that doesn't answer the direct question.

This is why posting AI answers in a language one does not understand could easily make that person look like a clown (or a politician, as politicians in particular are adept at sidestepping questions).

Bearing in mind the last two points, if an asker wants human answers only, they could ask first theLMM for an output (maybe it will give them what they're looking for, which would save time) and then paste the LLM's output in their comments when posting. It would be quite fast to do and as robots have a tendency to repeat the same thing (or a close variation) it would be easy to weed out non-human answers in the event where the LLM wouldn't be right (if it gives the correct answer, then it's likely that human answers will be very close or identical to the LLM).

Who or what would 'weed out' such answers with which resources? And is this so important that it could justify significant and costly software development efforts or the working time of moderators (who would not always get it right)?

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Elena Jul 13, 2023

Elena Feriani wrote:

I thought they just had a lot of friends

No, they have just a lot of nerve!
It must be that same member with more than 5000 language pairs...
On Kudoz, one thing is to get answers from colleagues who are language experts and master a language inside and out, regardless of whether they use (wisely) AI or other resources (after all, AI can be seen as a tool); another thing is to receive answers from someone who does not have the slightest knowledge of certain languages and "abuses" AI and other tools. IMHO, this is almost disrespectful.

Elena Feriani
Barbara Carrara
Christopher Schröder
Christel Zipfel
Angie Garbarino
Schtroumpf

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I wonder... Jul 13, 2023

if it would make a difference or not if I make a suggestion stating that I used AI to produce the answer.

An idea for when Proz will be able to use an AI content detection tool: labelling such answers with a warning like "This content may have been generated by an AI bot".

Zea_Mays
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's like in any sport or game Jul 13, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Who or what would 'weed out' such answers with which resources? And is this so important that it could justify significant and costly software development efforts or the working time of moderators (who would not always get it right)?

There are rules and, most of all, an explicit or implicit commitment to honesty and fair play.

Btw: Posting AI generated answers is done to collect points, and points as far as I know help you gain more visibility over time.

Philippe Locquet
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Dunia Cusin

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
In Italian too Jul 17, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Ai que dolor! (che dolore)

Schtroumpf
Schtroumpf
German to French
+ ...
Ban AI trolls, please! Jul 17, 2023

Thanks ZeaMays for raising the topic. I strongly support the idea of banning contributors who post (mainly or exclusively) AI generated stuff.
There is no need in my opinion that Proz detect these posts automatically. If we happen to see any such content by let's say, some lady from far abroad indicating that one of her mother tongues is English (French variant - no joke) and answering in more than 40 language pairs, shouldn't we just report the case to staff and get the account deleted?... See more
Thanks ZeaMays for raising the topic. I strongly support the idea of banning contributors who post (mainly or exclusively) AI generated stuff.
There is no need in my opinion that Proz detect these posts automatically. If we happen to see any such content by let's say, some lady from far abroad indicating that one of her mother tongues is English (French variant - no joke) and answering in more than 40 language pairs, shouldn't we just report the case to staff and get the account deleted?
There might even be no need to change any Proz rules at all. As someone pointed out lately, Proz translator accounts are intended for individuals and not for translating plants with 150 chimneys and 700 work stations, all of which run by people who never acquired any of the dozens of languages they pretend to know.
Collapse

Dunia Cusin
Zea_Mays
Christel Zipfel
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not quite true Jul 17, 2023

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Askers can restrict their questions to natives or users who work in certain languages pairs. If they don't do that, they may get all sorts of unwanted entries.

That is not quite true. I have posted a question today, and restricted it to natives only. I got an answer from that same member with tonnes of languages... she is not a PT-PT native.
Despite everything, I still managed to smile when I saw the answer because she has no idea what false friends are in Portuguese and French.
AI is useful when it falls into the right hands, if it falls into the hands of opportunists the result is this one.
I can use it for doubts and questions of my own and if I really need it (for example, in case clients can't provide me with an answer), but I would never do it to try to answer colleagues with the sole purpose of collecting points or for whatever reason.

[Edited at 2023-07-17 16:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-07-17 17:51 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Zea_Mays

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

People answering questions with AI output

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »