ahartje
Portugal
Local time: 18:48
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 13, 2023

Dear colleagues,
I was looking for any limits of Kudoz questions closed by: "answer found elsewhere".
The case: almost on a daily basis, another translator is asking questions in one of my language pair. First these questions were marked as "no points are given". So far, so good. I tried to help anyway, but all questions were closed by "answer found elsewhere".
Meanwhile the "no points"-note is gone (maybe because the colleages were reluctant to answer/help?), but this translat
... See more
Dear colleagues,
I was looking for any limits of Kudoz questions closed by: "answer found elsewhere".
The case: almost on a daily basis, another translator is asking questions in one of my language pair. First these questions were marked as "no points are given". So far, so good. I tried to help anyway, but all questions were closed by "answer found elsewhere".
Meanwhile the "no points"-note is gone (maybe because the colleages were reluctant to answer/help?), but this translator found another way to avoid attributing the effort of her colleagues: "answer found elsewhere"!
Out of 12 questions (1 still open, 1 without valid answer) for 9 the answer was found elsewhere.
I looked up the Kudoz rules, but did not find any limitation (percentage) for questions closed by "answer found elsewhere".
I am not looking for points or worried about my ranking, but why is somebody asking colleagues, again and again, when obviously no colleague is good enough to help? Or is it a type of masked abuse? If so, is there anything within Kudoz´ rules about how many questions are allowed to be closed by this option?

Thank you for enlightening me.
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Elena Feriani
neilmac
abe(L)solano

William Yang
William Yang
China
Local time: 01:48
Member (2021)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good or bad, will people who assign jobs consider Kudoz? Jan 13, 2023

I work in the language pair of English-Chinese and I seldom take part in the activity. Today I happened to visit the part and did some exercises. I don't know when to return and contribute again but to help is a good thing. If I findd the situation as you noted, I will not provide an answer to the asker. in the future.

[Edited at 2023-01-14 08:35 GMT]

expressisverbis
Yaotl Altan

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Anke Jan 13, 2023

I have very occasionally closed a question saying “answer found elsewhere” but when I do, as a courtesy to those who participated and attempted to help, I’ll post a comment with the answer I’ve found, just in case someone needs it later on. I can’t understand why someone will deliberately avoid giving points to colleagues who are willing to help. As we all know, “karma is a bitch” or as we say in Portuguese “aqui se fazem, aqui se pagam”…

expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
Barbara Carrara
Christopher Schröder
Yaotl Altan
Marijke Singer
neilmac

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:48
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I'm not aware that there is such a rule Jan 13, 2023

But in my opinion it should be made compulsory that "the answer found elsewhere" be indicated, regardless of the number of times this "solution" is used. Let alone that askers should do so anyway out of sheer politeness. I don't understand how people can be so rude and impolite.

expressisverbis
Josephine Cassar
Daryo
Barbara Carrara
Angie Garbarino
writeaway

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
ahartje Jan 13, 2023

My behaviour is the same one as Teresa describes.
If I find an answer elsewhere I post it on the discussion board for helping others with the same question in the future, and as a courtesy to others who tried to help me.
Kudoz is full of impolite members. The good thing is that we can still find good colleagues, personally and professionally. And this is the big difference between those members who "use/abuse" and the professional translators.
This is what I call "ter falta de
... See more
My behaviour is the same one as Teresa describes.
If I find an answer elsewhere I post it on the discussion board for helping others with the same question in the future, and as a courtesy to others who tried to help me.
Kudoz is full of impolite members. The good thing is that we can still find good colleagues, personally and professionally. And this is the big difference between those members who "use/abuse" and the professional translators.
This is what I call "ter falta de chá" (to be rude) and my advice is: do not answer or try to help, just ignore it.

[Edited at 2023-01-13 14:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-13 14:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-13 14:37 GMT]
Collapse

British Diana
Barbara Carrara
Yaotl Altan
Michele Fauble
Marijke Singer
Philip Lees

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kudoz should have a learning effect Jan 13, 2023

I believe Kudoz should be faced as learning/teaching tool, therefore I am always interested in the chosen answer. By selecting the option "answer found elsewhere" I feel somehow insatisfied, partly because I´d like to know, which term has been elected (and why). Just to learn, open my mind and reflect for myself.

So, here is my proposal for ProZ: please link the option "answer found elsewhere" to an additional mandatory part, where the asker has to mention the chosen term and also,
... See more
I believe Kudoz should be faced as learning/teaching tool, therefore I am always interested in the chosen answer. By selecting the option "answer found elsewhere" I feel somehow insatisfied, partly because I´d like to know, which term has been elected (and why). Just to learn, open my mind and reflect for myself.

So, here is my proposal for ProZ: please link the option "answer found elsewhere" to an additional mandatory part, where the asker has to mention the chosen term and also, where s/he found it. Feasible?
Collapse

expressisverbis
Josephine Cassar
mk_lab
Kevin Fulton
Daryo
British Diana

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Common sense and cordiality Jan 13, 2023

ahartje wrote:

So, here is my proposal for ProZ: please link the option "answer found elsewhere" to an additional mandatory part, where the asker has to mention the chosen term and also, where s/he found it. Feasible?

I agree with you, but that should be part of everyone's common sense and cordiality.
Proz.com is a site for and by professionals, so these values should be implicit in the person and the professional.
Asking for this is almost asking to teach children how to behave... in my humble opinion.

British Diana
Christel Zipfel
Christopher Schröder
ahartje
Philip Lees

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:48
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Share Jan 15, 2023

ahartje wrote:
I am not looking for points or worried about my ranking, but why is somebody asking colleagues, again and again, when obviously no colleague is good enough to help? Or is it a type of masked abuse? If so, is there anything within Kudoz´ rules about how many questions are allowed to be closed by this option?

At least, they should share with us the alleged term they "found elsewhere".

[Edited at 2023-01-15 03:08 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Sebastian Witte
ahartje
expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
writeaway

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Maybe relevant, maybe not... Jan 15, 2023

Yes, askers can get on our tits when they don’t seem to appreciate our efforts (to help THEM!) and close questions w/o comment. Some of us subsequently add such askers to our “filtered” list. But Asker is not informed.

Maybe it’d be a good idea to inform such askers that they’ve been filtered by (anonymous) users, just so they can at least consider changing their ways?

Christopher Schröder
Christel Zipfel
expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
Marijke Singer

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:48
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Did you answer all the questions asked by this particular asker? Jan 15, 2023

ahartje wrote:

Dear colleagues,
Meanwhile the "no points"-note is gone (maybe because the colleages were reluctant to answer/help?), but this translator found another way to avoid attributing the effort of her colleagues: "answer found elsewhere"!
Out of 12 questions (1 still open, 1 without valid answer) for 9 the answer was found elsewhere.
I looked up the Kudoz rules, but did not find any limitation (percentage) for questions closed by "answer found elsewhere".

I was just wondering whether you submitted all the answers for this particular asker and you were the only one who suggested an answer, since some of the askers seem to hesitate (just my guess) to award points to the same contributor, say, five times in a row, especially when all the questions are from the same text.

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear all Jan 15, 2023

Thank you for your thoughts and, yes, I agree with expressisverbis that some values should be implicit. I couldn´t agree more with Yaotl Altan and Cilian.
And yes: I answered the first questions marked as "no points" questions as well as the first questions without any special notes. Only when I found out that now all questions are closed "without grading, because the answer was found elsewhere" I stopped my collaboration and asked the colleague, whether she pretends to close all questio
... See more
Thank you for your thoughts and, yes, I agree with expressisverbis that some values should be implicit. I couldn´t agree more with Yaotl Altan and Cilian.
And yes: I answered the first questions marked as "no points" questions as well as the first questions without any special notes. Only when I found out that now all questions are closed "without grading, because the answer was found elsewhere" I stopped my collaboration and asked the colleague, whether she pretends to close all questions this way. Her answer was yes, since no given answer satisfied her.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-01-15 09:44 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
A related thread from 100 years ago: Jan 17, 2023

https://bel.proz.com/forum/kudoz/204775-how_many_askers_do_you_have_on_your_filter_list.html

ahartje
ahartje
Portugal
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting, Cilian Jan 17, 2023

It seems to be a never ending story...

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Comedy value Jan 17, 2023

I had quite a few filtered but then very little ever came up in my languages so I had to reinstate them for comedy value.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using or abusing Kudoz?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »