Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >
Comprehensive KudoZ update released
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 00:43
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Updated new KudoZ design Aug 20, 2005

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your detailed comments and suggestions.

In response to your suggestions, changes have been made to the new design currently being beta tested. It has been "tightened up" to remove much of the negative space. Peer comments have been more clearly distinguished from the answers to which they apply (more like the current standard design). Closed questions are now more clearly indicated by highlighting the term and answer in the question box
... See more
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your detailed comments and suggestions.

In response to your suggestions, changes have been made to the new design currently being beta tested. It has been "tightened up" to remove much of the negative space. Peer comments have been more clearly distinguished from the answers to which they apply (more like the current standard design). Closed questions are now more clearly indicated by highlighting the term and answer in the question box. Various texts have also been reworded to provide additional clarification.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Clarified options to direct questions to specific answerers, restricted to platinum askers Aug 20, 2005

The KudoZ asking form has been modified to clarify the options that allow directing questions specifically to certain types of answerers.

The intent of this feature is to provide a more open alternative to private questions (which allow askers to submit questions that are only visible to members of their teams). By directing publicly visible questions specifically to certain types of translators, the asker can specify whom he wishes to ask for help while the community still benefit
... See more
The KudoZ asking form has been modified to clarify the options that allow directing questions specifically to certain types of answerers.

The intent of this feature is to provide a more open alternative to private questions (which allow askers to submit questions that are only visible to members of their teams). By directing publicly visible questions specifically to certain types of translators, the asker can specify whom he wishes to ask for help while the community still benefits from the addition to the KudoZ archives and glossary.

The asking form has also been changed to make it more obvious to the asker that directing questions specifically to certain types of answerers will prevent many members from being able to answer the question. Hopefully this will prevent askers from mistakenly restricting who may answer their questions.

The ability for an asker to direct questions specifically to certain types of answerers has also been made a platinum-only feature.

I hope this helps to clarify this new feature. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Elizabeth Lyons
Elizabeth Lyons  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:43
French to English
+ ...
I agree there are these built-in flaws - now what would be the alternative? Aug 20, 2005

I agree with Nick that if answers are going to be filtered, so should agrees. I concur that in a vacuum the number of points won is of limited value; I rarely post a question, but when I do I use the profile page with the answerer's background to supplement my analysis of their total points. I also try to judge by the way they have answered other people's questions. If there is a better way with a link to statistical analyses for those who want to use it, I would be for it.

Nick Lingris wrote:

I wish to complain against at least two of the discriminatory aspects of the new system.

1. It allows askers to obstruct non-native speakers from answering questions. I thought the Kudos system was built on democratic principles: we could all have our say and have our answers judged on merit, not on an accident of birth. Why not obstruct non-native speakers from voting, as well?

2. In the advanced view of the new design page (which I hate for its size of fonts and its clutter of information), an answerer’s KudoZ points in the specified pair and field appear (just above his native language) as some kind of badge of excellence, probably intended as another means of judging the merit of an answer. What even experienced users cannot tell from that is that 20 KudoZ points can be 20 points gained by giving correct answers to 5 out of 5 questions in the space of a week, or 20 points gained by giving correct answers to 5 out of 250 questions in the space of a year. This ‘badge’ could be of some value if it were the result of statistics. Even so, in a system where many correct answers are not selected for a number of reasons, and the second best correct answer is as good as a wrong answer, a reference to KudoZ points, whether in absolute or proportional terms, is just another case of wrongful discrimination.

Elizabeth Lyons
Elizabeth Lyons  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Exactly, we should park our egos at the threshold - Aug 20, 2005

Vicky brings up a great and hilarious valid point. And as for the know it alls ... can't we just help each other and come here to learn and share rather than to prove how smart we are? I had hoped this would be one place where we could avoid animus and be an international community : ) (Anyway, I try to approach it in this manner as much as possible and to control my tongue).

irat56 wrote:

Vicky Papaprodromou wrote:

Hi Henry and Jason. Thanks for all the hard work and I can bet things will soon get much better.

I agree with Jane and Nick that there should be no discrimination in the new system.

Since I am one of the relatively few people participating in Ancient Greek and Latin questions, what if somebody posts a question asking for native speakers' answers only?

I am afraid only Socrates or Cicero will be able to help.

Please abolish these discriminating criteria. Translators are supposed to be free spirits, so don't impose so many restrictions on us. We have all proved our willingness to help just everybody, regardless of the language or nation of origin, so please let us keep on like that.

[Edited at 2005-08-19 21:59]

[Edited at 2005-08-19 22:01]

[Edited at 2005-08-19 22:19]

I totally agree with Vicky! The purpose of KUDOZ is not to shpw off you are a "Mrs Knowall" (I am thinking of someone, yes!) as a (very) few seem to think! It is to help one another when possible and after all, even though you may be a non-native, you may have good abilities to speak a foreign language you learnt with passion. So, please, ban this discrimination!
Pierre

[Edited at 2005-08-20 18:25]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 06:43
English to German
+ ...
kudoz profile pop-up and regular profile Aug 20, 2005

Hi! This is what I would call playing around. Earlier one could click on a picture or a logo or an avatar of kudoz participant to see full profile including kudoz or other experienced areas (generally full profile) now, we have a smalller pop-up (like windows) reporting the kudoz history and then one has to click again on the avatar or the picture of the participant to see the full profile. It is not very appealing I find. My explanation may continue here for another 4 pages, but at the core, t... See more
Hi! This is what I would call playing around. Earlier one could click on a picture or a logo or an avatar of kudoz participant to see full profile including kudoz or other experienced areas (generally full profile) now, we have a smalller pop-up (like windows) reporting the kudoz history and then one has to click again on the avatar or the picture of the participant to see the full profile. It is not very appealing I find. My explanation may continue here for another 4 pages, but at the core, this is what I wanted to inform. Best regards, BrandisCollapse

Pablo Grosschmid
Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Dialects? Aug 20, 2005

Congratulations, Jason !
A valiant effort to improve things.

The positive and negative feedback will lead to the golden middle.

For now, just a small suggestion:

IMO, the term "dialect" is not appropriate here, it would be better to call it "Variant", or speak of "Linguistic region".
Also, instead of having a pre-established menu, let peope enter what they want.

For Spanish, there are at least 100 possibilities (countries, regions w
... See more
Congratulations, Jason !
A valiant effort to improve things.

The positive and negative feedback will lead to the golden middle.

For now, just a small suggestion:

IMO, the term "dialect" is not appropriate here, it would be better to call it "Variant", or speak of "Linguistic region".

For Spanish, there are at least 100 possibilities (countries, regions within countries, geographical regions, groups of countries not in the same geographical region, even cities, etc...)
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Answerers no longer restricted from answering directed questions Aug 20, 2005

In response to your feedback, we have changed the behavior of questions directed by an asker to answerers who meet specific criteria.

The answer page no longer restricts members from answering questions if they do not meet the asker's criteria.

The asker's preference in this regard is still shown, but those who do not meet the criteria are not prevented from answering.

Our thanks to Michelle, Ali, and others who suggested this improvement.

Bes
... See more
In response to your feedback, we have changed the behavior of questions directed by an asker to answerers who meet specific criteria.

The answer page no longer restricts members from answering questions if they do not meet the asker's criteria.

The asker's preference in this regard is still shown, but those who do not meet the criteria are not prevented from answering.

Our thanks to Michelle, Ali, and others who suggested this improvement.

Best regards,

Jason
Collapse

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dialects Aug 20, 2005

[quote]Pablo Grosschmid wrote:

For Spanish, there are at least 100 possibilities (countries, regions within countries, geographical regions, groups of countries not in the same geographical region, even cities, etc...)

I agree with Pablo, I think instead of Dialect it should say "variant" or "region" (it even has only 7 letters!). that way you avoid opening a whole other can of worms!!!!

Heidi

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:43
German to English
dialects Aug 20, 2005

Pablo Grosschmid wrote:

Hi Pablo, I'd say language "variety" is the most commonly used term.

http://esl.about.com/library/weekly/aa110698.htm

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 23:43
German to English
+ ...
Beware of too much discrimination against non-platinum members! Aug 20, 2005

Hello again,

I just wanted to point out that I am noticing many more "features" which place non-platinum members at a considerable disadvantage. I realise that this is probably the idea - you have to make money, after all - but when I started freelancing almost 2 years ago, this site gave me *tremendous* benefits (work, a community, invaluable help from other translators) at a price I could actually afford (free).
... See more
Hello again,

I just wanted to point out that I am noticing many more "features" which place non-platinum members at a considerable disadvantage. I realise that this is probably the idea - you have to make money, after all - but when I started freelancing almost 2 years ago, this site gave me *tremendous* benefits (work, a community, invaluable help from other translators) at a price I could actually afford (free).

I've only been a platinum member since June and, while I love the benefits I can now enjoy, I really feel that Proz gave me a "start" as a freelancer that I wouldn't have had otherwise. I also feel that, even as a non-Platinum member, I had a lot to contribute to the community on the forums and in Kudoz, and I would like to see other people in similar situations given that same opportunity.

Many thanks for your hard work so far.
Collapse

Ernesto de Lara
Ernesto de Lara  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Too complex for me Aug 20, 2005

I know that you have to do improvements but this is too much for me. How can I tell you if the source language is UK english or American english? Im not a linguist, I am just a translator for technical terms. This should be a choice for the asker, not for the answerer. When I suggested that asker should include information about a target country or geographical region for the translation, I meant that, not that answerer had to choose a country. This is too wird for me. I am wondering if I can ... See more
I know that you have to do improvements but this is too much for me. How can I tell you if the source language is UK english or American english? Im not a linguist, I am just a translator for technical terms. This should be a choice for the asker, not for the answerer. When I suggested that asker should include information about a target country or geographical region for the translation, I meant that, not that answerer had to choose a country. This is too wird for me. I am wondering if I can live with it. A nice feature of Kudoz was the exchange of meanings for different countries.

By the way, aztec language does not exist. Aztecs language is Nahuatl. Nahuatl is still in use by many people in Mexico.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comprehensive KudoZ update released

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »