Thread poster: B D Finch
B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:42
French to English
+ ...
Aug 21, 2012

When posting a KudoZ question, it is possible to restrict answering to a team. However, I think it would be useful to be able to post in the usual way but exclude particular, named individuals. This would be useful if one doesn't want to restrict answers to a small number of people, but does want to exclude certain persistent nuisances who just insist on posting silly, time-wasting answers, even when they don't meet the native language and working knowledge criteria selected, and get argumentati... See more
When posting a KudoZ question, it is possible to restrict answering to a team. However, I think it would be useful to be able to post in the usual way but exclude particular, named individuals. This would be useful if one doesn't want to restrict answers to a small number of people, but does want to exclude certain persistent nuisances who just insist on posting silly, time-wasting answers, even when they don't meet the native language and working knowledge criteria selected, and get argumentative to boot.

Do you think such an exclusion facility would be useful? Could it have undesirable consequences or be misused? Should we actually encourage the persistent nuisances to continue advertising their own silliness and racking up "disagrees" even if they do waste our time?
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 04:42
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
No Need for Such a Filter Aug 21, 2012

In our language pair (English/Turkish), no such individuals exist to my knowledge. Therefore, I would say such a filter would not really be necessary. We only have issues with selecting a confidence level, that is about it. Too many people tend to select fives too frequently.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Teams are private groups and not accessible/visible to other people on Proz Aug 21, 2012

Asking in a team automatically precludes being annoyed by anyone else. I seriously doubt there is anyway to stop people who provide wacky answers just as there is no way to stop people from asking simplistic questions. Askers and answerers have all the rights and questioning those rights immediately incurs the wrath of rule 3.7. Even gently suggesting to people to attempt looking things up before they ask/answer is seen as 'infringement' of their right to ask/answer.
The only filter that h
... See more
Asking in a team automatically precludes being annoyed by anyone else. I seriously doubt there is anyway to stop people who provide wacky answers just as there is no way to stop people from asking simplistic questions. Askers and answerers have all the rights and questioning those rights immediately incurs the wrath of rule 3.7. Even gently suggesting to people to attempt looking things up before they ask/answer is seen as 'infringement' of their right to ask/answer.
The only filter that has an effect is the 'members only' filter but that really doesn't make sense since the idea that the ability to pay is related to someone's ability to translate is very very hard to fathom.
So I really don't see any way to stop unwanted 'help'.
Collapse

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 02:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Move in that direction. Aug 21, 2012

B D Finch wrote:
... exclude certain persistent nuisances ... even when they don't meet the native language and working knowledge criteria selected

A step in that direction would be to allow posters the option of making their chosen criteria
mandatory for an answer. This already exist on Jobs I think.

B D Finch wrote:
Should we actually encourage the persistent nuisances to continue advertising their own silliness and racking up "disagrees" even if they do waste our time?

Some way of mildly discouraging them might lead to gradual improvement, giving a win-win situation.

It's already possible to avoid seeing posts from specific people (I have 2 on my list).
I have no idea if that means I don't see their answers either - I don't recall seeing anything from them in a long time, but maybe they just aren't answering?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Filtering potential KudoZ answerers

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »