Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:43
French to English
+ ...
Emails Jun 21, 2012

writeaway wrote:

It's not allowed to send harassing emails via the Proz/Kudoz system. That's why I suggested that you report it. Afaik, Proz has no way to control private emails sent via third party providers.

The emails are not sent directly by the answerer (they are generated each time the answerer answers, because of Paul's notification settings), so can't be construed as harassment.

Paul, I can suggest two possible avenues you could explore:

1) Turn off email notification of answers to your questions.

2) Ask terminology queries in places that allow only professional translators. They exist; try national translators' associations (for example, the ITI's language and subject egroups are an excellent source of help). Other such forums also exist.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Angela Jun 21, 2012

[quote]Angela Dickson wrote:

writeaway wrote:

It's not allowed to send harassing emails via the Proz/Kudoz system. That's why I suggested that you report it. Afaik, Proz has no way to control private emails sent via third party providers.

The emails are not sent directly by the answerer (they are generated each time the answerer answers, because of Paul's notification settings), so can't be construed as harassment.

Now it's clear....
No, it's not harassment, just a pain in the.....

[Edited at 2012-06-21 10:18 GMT]

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It's become tiresome and we're all fed up with it Jun 21, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:

There are certainly many people on here who claim to be native in English plus another language, who most definitely are not native in English (the only language where I can judge the issue). And there are some who definitely are native-equivalent - I fully accept that. The problem is that the second language input is not verified in any way by ProZ.com. Some of these people, who may be totally incapable of structuring an English sentence correctly, even answer English monolingual questions and clog them up with rubbish in the way Paul is talking about.

Native language is such an important attribute in ProZ that surely there should be some sort of restriction. Otherwise, it loses all value and meaning.

I receive notifications in FR/ES/PT>EN and the problem has become chronic in PT>EN. The volume of work being taken on by non-native English speakers is quite staggering. Filters will never stop this amateur practice, which make a mockery of the site's desire to call itself "ProZ".

[Edited at 2012-06-21 10:45 GMT]

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
What is his aim? Jun 21, 2012

I wonder what such activity is trying to achieve:
Is it a personal sense of satisfaction from participating in such "professional" activity?
Is it a genuine (but unfulfilled) wish to help you?
Is it a desire to gain a record of being competent and helpful in translation that will help him to obtain more work?
Are there any psychologists among you who can give a good answer to this?

Would it be worthwhile to send him an email containing a hyperlink to this dis
... See more
Is it a personal sense of satisfaction from participating in such "professional" activity?
Is it a desire to gain a record of being competent and helpful in translation that will help him to obtain more work?

Would it be worthwhile to send him an email containing a hyperlink to this discussion
( http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/227474-how_can_i_block_a_certain_kudoz_user.html )?

I wonder whether this would go against any of the site rules (http://www.proz.com/rules/ ); perhaps the part of rule 2 that says "Site users are expected to treat each other with courtesy, whether posting publicly or making direct contact, and are advised to act under the assumption of good faith."

Oliver
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:43
English to Hungarian
+ ...
@ Oliver Jun 21, 2012

Oliver Walter wrote:

Not a psychologist, but here is a very plausible answer: hit-or-miss, accumulated.

Even if only one in twenty answers get points, in the long run he/she can clock up a considerable amount of KudoZ points, and hence improve his/her ranking. Even more so if this person focuses on certain fields.

I also think that "personal sense of satisfaction from participating in such "professional" activity" may also be a drive - and, of course, a lot of free time at hand.

Best,
Attila

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dedicate an email account Jun 21, 2012

When I signed up for proz, I had an inkling that I might be flooded with alerts from the site, so I opened a free webmail (Yahoo) account specifically for proz queries etc. It helps prevent situations like that described. I use several "junk" email accounts for signing up to sites which are likely to spam me later too.

Unfortunately, anyone who tries to contact me through proz goes through what I call my "proz" mail account, and the problem is that I don't look at it every day, or
... See more
When I signed up for proz, I had an inkling that I might be flooded with alerts from the site, so I opened a free webmail (Yahoo) account specifically for proz queries etc. It helps prevent situations like that described. I use several "junk" email accounts for signing up to sites which are likely to spam me later too.

Unfortunately, anyone who tries to contact me through proz goes through what I call my "proz" mail account, and the problem is that I don't look at it every day, or even every week when I'm busy, so sorry folks if I take a long time to reply, or fail to do so at all.
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 18:43
Member (2003)
French to English
No way for askers to filter out answerers Jun 21, 2012

... as far as I know. I wish there were. I actually had asked about this regarding one individual, and was told that said user has the right to answer and comment on my questions. I disagree, I think that if I want to block someone I should be able to, but as far as I know, this function does not exist - only answerers can filter askers, not the other way around. It's kind of strange.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Ask the person not to respond to your questions Jun 22, 2012

Why not simply write a polite and direct email to the 'offender' and ask them not to respond to any questions you pose on Kudoz?

That would seem to be the simplest approach. If I got a request like that from someone, my ears would burn, I would be mortified, and I would most definitely stop trying to be 'helpful'.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
@ Gitte Jun 22, 2012

I too would feel mortified, but then I would never answer Kudoz like the users under discussion. I would only contribute if I genuinely believed that I had a more appropriate solution than anyone else.

Given these users' tendency to flood askers with answers, I have the feeling that their reaction would be to subject the asker to a deluge of abuse on the theme of "That's the kind of thanks I get when I'm trying to help you".

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
@ Texte Style Jun 22, 2012

I guess I sort of presumed that we were all adults and professionals here, but maybe not? Are there really people here who use ProZ.com just to make a nuisance of themselves? I thought it was supposed to be a site for professionals and students to exchange knowledge and views, but maybe not...

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
No way that would work Jul 6, 2012

Gitte Hovedskov Hansen wrote:

Why not simply write a polite and direct email to the 'offender' and ask them not to respond to any questions you pose on Kudoz?

That would seem to be the simplest approach. If I got a request like that from someone, my ears would burn, I would be mortified, and I would most definitely stop trying to be 'helpful'.

Maybe you would, but this person most certainly would not stop bothering me (and others, btw). Also, I simply want no contact with said individual. The person doesn't respect me (or much of anyone) as an asker, why would he or she respect my wishes to leave me alone just because I send an email?

There should be a way to block that person from answering my questions and there should not even be the question of having to contact I do not want anything to do with. I have better things to do, even if that person doesn't. Why should I even be put in such a position?

Gitte Hovedskov Hansen wrote:

I guess I sort of presumed that we were all adults and professionals here, but maybe not? Are there really people here who use ProZ.com just to make a nuisance of themselves? I thought it was supposed to be a site for professionals and students to exchange knowledge and views, but maybe not...

Well, we are supposed to be all adults and professionals here, but the behavior in question is not something I consider to be either adult or professional. So that's another reason why contacting someone (who I want nothing to do with) by email would not work. Yes, some people really are a nuisance and act as if they own KudoZ, certain individuals like to fancy themselves the "KudoZ police" or something, constantly making remarks about what is wrong with such-and-such question as if the Asker had nerve posting it. Not sure why they follow KudoZ if the questions bother them so much. This one individual used to start threads here on the forums regardings how there were "too many" questions posted by a non-member or whatever - this is also back when the site advertised KudoZ as a service to ask questions of professional translators, but there was never the supposed requirement of having to BE a professional translator. Why this person cared so much is beyond me, but I found it annoying and also wondered why this person didn't have better things to occupy his or her time - like, you know, translation work.

T o b i a s
T o b i a s
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Exactly. You create the problem yourself when you elect to receive emails from Proz.com Jul 6, 2012

Vikki Pendleton wrote:

would be to not get any notifications sent to you from Kudoz, and just check in person from time to time for any new answers.

I do this as there is some sort of blip between proz and my email inbox which means rather than getting emails instantly I get nothing for hours and then six or ten emails all at once, usually after I've seen the questions/jobs/answers they refer to. You do have to remember to check though.

NataliaShevchuk
NataliaShevchuk  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Apart from emails from Proz Nov 3, 2012

there is a user in my pair who chases all my answers and piles his fruitless and offensive "reasonings" in every discussion thread. Last time I offered him an extract from a dictionary that he apparently misses on a regular basis (without mentioning whom it is addressed personally to). In response, he insulted my nation, and I have contacted a moderator. The insulting comment has been removed, but instead he put his "disagree" peer comment into my thoroughly argumented answer with highest level ... See more
there is a user in my pair who chases all my answers and piles his fruitless and offensive "reasonings" in every discussion thread. Last time I offered him an extract from a dictionary that he apparently misses on a regular basis (without mentioning whom it is addressed personally to). In response, he insulted my nation, and I have contacted a moderator. The insulting comment has been removed, but instead he put his "disagree" peer comment into my thoroughly argumented answer with highest level of confidence. I am sure that many EnRu Kudoz users are well aware about the person in question. I withhold his name out of professional courtesy, but I can provide the most relevant Kudoz links. Is it appropriate to contact the moderator every time when he does that? Are there any personal records of such activities, that might lead to eventual banning the user?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how do deal with this.

Natalia
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Contact staff Nov 3, 2012

NataliaShevchuk wrote:
Is it appropriate to contact the moderator every time when he does that? Are there any personal records of such activities, that might lead to eventual banning the user?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how do deal with this.

It doesn't sound as though the moderator could do much in this case apart from following up each and every case you put to them - they're fellow members of the site who accept a few responsibilities for a while but who have limited powers. And it certainly isn't something we can usefully discuss in a forum.

Surely, the thing to do is to get some references together (links to the worst offences, for example) and send them to staff via a support ticket, saying you can let them have more info. It probably won't be necessary, as staff have all sorts of ways of tracking individual user behaviour. You can send a support ticket here: http://www.proz.com/support?mode=ask&sp_sub_mode=ticket_submit

NataliaShevchuk
NataliaShevchuk  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you, Sheila Nov 3, 2012

Sheila Wilson wrote:
... as staff have all sorts of ways of tracking individual user behaviour.

that's exactly what I want to know.
-------------------
An update, after the support request has been submitted:
Voila, I have 5 consecutive visits to my profile from the country where this user originally seems to be from (Not the US).
Initially those visits were displayed as having New York IP's. Now they appear to be from a certain post-Soviet country.
Quod erat demonstrandum

[Edited at 2012-11-03 21:17 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I block a certain Kudoz user?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »