Local time: 09:38
Member (2009)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
when do you "block" unforgivable users? Jun 26, 2011

Dear Rodion:

Thank you for message.
I keep hearing from many colleagues that people keep receiving "an appropriate action was taken" from site members.

I believe, in my case, it actually was taken. However, if we repeatedly report any violence , breach of rules and/or any abuse, still users are allowed to be there around, how many times and how many people need to tolerate such unacceptable behaviours before the site members decide "block" those users, not only wa
... See more
Dear Rodion:

Thank you for message.
I keep hearing from many colleagues that people keep receiving "an appropriate action was taken" from site members.

I believe, in my case, it actually was taken. However, if we repeatedly report any violence , breach of rules and/or any abuse, still users are allowed to be there around, how many times and how many people need to tolerate such unacceptable behaviours before the site members decide "block" those users, not only warnings?

I'm not the worst victim so far, as I found, but there are many and much worse cases and still they are using site offending and disrespecting reasonable and professional users.

And, I hope all the site member will understand that sometimes, even one violation of the rule is serious enough to get rid of this site, like the stoker problem I mentioned. My case was just a childish behaviour, let's say, but serious violation threats and affect our daily life too.
(although when I wrote the similar thing worried about a lady user in other forum, there were users immediately objected and wrote my comment is unnecessary worries.)

I think all of us acknowledge that we should report everything, but the real question we have is "and what happens then"? My colleague told me that stop using KudoZ any longer because of this (keep receiving the same messages and nothing actually changes).

I hope all the moderators and members have actually a zero tolerance, in order to keep this site real professional.

best regards,
nekonote
Collapse

Rodion Shein
Rodion Shein  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:38
English to Russian
+ ...
Just do not give up Jun 26, 2011

It all depends on the violation severety. In most cases, users (or, to be more precise, abusers) get warned first; and only if the violation persists, they get blocked.

It's not feasible to keep an eye on every KudoZ question as it evolves: sometimes only the first violation is reported, while the further ones are not. As a result, it looks like no actions are taken, despite the call for moderator's actions; however, the reason is just moderators' being unaware of persisting issues
... See more
It all depends on the violation severety. In most cases, users (or, to be more precise, abusers) get warned first; and only if the violation persists, they get blocked.

It's not feasible to keep an eye on every KudoZ question as it evolves: sometimes only the first violation is reported, while the further ones are not. As a result, it looks like no actions are taken, despite the call for moderator's actions; however, the reason is just moderators' being unaware of persisting issues. Whenever you have any doubts or questions, do not hesitate to ask.

I don't think it's a great idea to stop using any ProZ.com tool (including KudoZ) because of some misbehaving individuals. It's much better to rebuff: in case of any Web resources, it involves calling for site staff and moderators or even undertaking moderator's repsonsibilities (all users are equal here). Keeping the site sound is a matter of common concern.
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:38
French to English
+ ...
Persistent harrassment? Jun 26, 2011

If any person is using the website to persistently harrass another person, then I believe that they should be banned from the site. It is a question of judgement of what constitutes "persistent". I would consider it persistent if the person had ignored two warnings. If there is any hint of sexual or racial harrassment involved, then one warning should be sufficient. It is not acceptable that anyone should be made to feel vulnerable and scared to use the site because of such behaviour.
... See more
If any person is using the website to persistently harrass another person, then I believe that they should be banned from the site. It is a question of judgement of what constitutes "persistent". I would consider it persistent if the person had ignored two warnings. If there is any hint of sexual or racial harrassment involved, then one warning should be sufficient. It is not acceptable that anyone should be made to feel vulnerable and scared to use the site because of such behaviour.

Sometimes, moderators may feel that it the problem will go away. They may feel unsure about whether the postings have amounted to harrassment or whether they are just impolite. Perhaps this should be a signal to discuss the matter with both the complainant and with another moderator. Nekonote was clearly distressed by this particular series of postings and it does seem that the moderator(s) concerned could have taken more trouble to communicate with her over the issue.
Collapse

nekonote
nekonote  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:38
Member (2009)
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, and I defo agree Jun 26, 2011

B D Finch wrote:

Thank you, B D Finch, I DO agree with you. What you wrote is very rational and it's EXACTLY the way things have to be. My case was still not one of the worsts, as I wrote earlier, but yes, two warnings are enough for any generous harrassments. How "persintent" can be defined? Do we always have to report the same person? If 2 or more users complains and report about the same person, isn't it enough? I even mentioned that I've seen my abuser's mocking comments in other pages to other users.

Those abusers are simply harmful for this site itself. I don't really understand why we have to suffer more than enough. It's not " it's a great idea to stop using any ProZ.com tool (including KudoZ) ", but a series of "an appropriate action was taken" messages makes us stop using them. Abusers can live and professionals suffer.

In any world of "professional", two warnings or one single warnings, then out. Even in law; if a person repeat same kind of crime more than twice, third time, the name of crime changes to heavier one, which leads to worse sentence.

Rodion Shein
Rodion Shein  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:38
English to Russian
+ ...
Let me put it a bit more straight Jun 26, 2011

Each case is always studied individually; therefore, it's difficult to discuss any abstract situations now, as well as guessing what must have been done.

Again, if you feel any doubts or see that the issue has not been resolved, you are always welcome to contact any moderator in your language pair or site staff. The vast majority of "non-responsiveness" cases is caused by the fact that moderators or site staff are unaware of the issue, rather than by neglect. As a KudoZ discussion e
... See more
Each case is always studied individually; therefore, it's difficult to discuss any abstract situations now, as well as guessing what must have been done.

Again, if you feel any doubts or see that the issue has not been resolved, you are always welcome to contact any moderator in your language pair or site staff. The vast majority of "non-responsiveness" cases is caused by the fact that moderators or site staff are unaware of the issue, rather than by neglect. As a KudoZ discussion evolves, new comments (including abusive ones) may appear. You cannot see it, unless you specifically track this question. It's all easy: see an abusibe post — call the moderator!

Finally, moderators act based on site rules, rather than on their preferences or feelings. And please be sure that difficult cases are always discussed with fellow moderators and site staff.

Rodion
Collapse

Peishun CHIANG
Peishun CHIANG  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2004)
English to Japanese
+ ...
I will contact her. Jun 29, 2011

I came across this forum post, yesterday.
I will contact her.

Best,
Peishun

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:38
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

just one bad apple, don't toss the basket :) Jul 6, 2011

nekonote wrote:
I will, of course, never ever contact him again. However, I don't really know what I should do. Should I again report this person as abusive user (which I really believe so now)? Does anyone have similar experience?

Hi Nekonote,
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I, too, have experienced this type of behavior and I don't think there is much hope for closure unless you are able to put it behind you. My "fan" has a habit of leaving disrespectful, unprofessional, defamatory, often unintelligent and incoherent peer comments which she later revisits and edits about 3 to 6 times (each) to tone them down a bit. She has wrongfully accused me of lying, cheating, not thinking, etc. What is rather upsetting is that these comments are visible to all, potential or existing clients included. As for reporting each case, I have found the staff very reluctant to get involved (probably a business decision not a moral stand), so be prepared that you may not see the desired result. Unfortunately, in my case the number of tickets I have submitted so far does not seem to be enough for staff to take action against this user, but I doubt I will leave the site (which might be of some satisfaction to the person bullying me but only until she finds a new target). Trolls will be trolls.
I agree with the colleagues who suggest you move on and do not get engaged in any flamewars. Over the past ten years on this great site I have found so many wonderful colleagues, benefits, work, and fun, so much to learn, appreciate and enjoy, that a minor annoyance like this will not drive me away. I hope you decide to stay. : )
With best regards,
Ildiko

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

regarding offensive user

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »