TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:06
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Good point and more... Sep 3, 2010

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I'm all for giving credit where it's due. The most important thing, in my eccentric opinion, is to thank the person who gave the useful information - much more important than awarding points - nice though they are. A personal email to that helpful answerer expressing your appreciation is a good idea.
Best wishes,
Jenny

I am new in the site and I was surprised how many questions are not closed since months... I think it would be useful to establish an automatic rule asking users to close their questions after a limited number (10-15 for ex.) or since 10 days...

Oussama

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:06
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
closing questions Sep 3, 2010

TargamaT wrote:

I am new in the site and I was surprised how many questions are not closed since months...

Dear Oussama,

Supposedly there is a rule--that if you don't close the question, the system closes it by "choosing" whichever answer has the highest number of votes from colleagues. I don't remember the fine points, but that's the idea. I don't know why it's not always functioning that way.

Susan

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:06
English to French
Kudoz FAQs Sep 3, 2010

Susan Welsh wrote:

I don't know why it's not always functioning that way.

Because "if no answer has at least 2 net agrees, [the question] remains open."
All details at http://www.proz.com/faq/2731#2731

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:06
English to French
+ ...
A place for everything... Sep 3, 2010

Over the last weeks, taking a look at the English-French questions, I did find more "answers" in the Discussion area than in an Answer box. Why? God knows and I wonder...

I naturally agree that Gaius Julius should get his due, but I feel that "most helpful answers" should appear in the Answers section. Once upon a time, you only had to go from one answer to the next to agree with a colleague, make sure you would'nt duplicate an answer or find both the right word and a satisfying exp
... See more
Over the last weeks, taking a look at the English-French questions, I did find more "answers" in the Discussion area than in an Answer box. Why? God knows and I wonder...

I naturally agree that Gaius Julius should get his due, but I feel that "most helpful answers" should appear in the Answers section. Once upon a time, you only had to go from one answer to the next to agree with a colleague, make sure you would'nt duplicate an answer or find both the right word and a satisfying explanation. Now, you also have to make your way through pull-down-and-up-and-around-maybe boxes... For some mysterious reason, I don't always see discussions and often get a "Show discussion" link/box only after I have entered an answer. When I then find such answer in the discussion entry of an alter-ego, I cannot but feel cheap... and feel that I lost my time.

I wouldn't go as far as suggesting that moderators should send anwers where they belong (as they hide irrelevant discussions), but I certainly second the idea that things should remain simple - a place for everything and everything in its place - and that a personal note or email is worth more than points.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-09-06 13:20 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Credit where credit is due

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »