投稿者: philgoddard
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 11:37
ロシア語 から 英語
+ ...
@Creativity Aug 16, 2010

I'm afraid I didn't read all of your (long) posts, but if you didn't refer the matter to a moderator or Proz staff (support request), you certainly should.

I have been in a similar situation, although not nearly as extreme. I got very riled up about it.
It's not worth it. Put the person on your "filter out" list (that probably doesn't help for Kudoz answerers, but I haven't tried), ignore what he/she says, and get on with your life. Turn off Kudoz for a month or two, if that h
... See more
I'm afraid I didn't read all of your (long) posts, but if you didn't refer the matter to a moderator or Proz staff (support request), you certainly should.

I have been in a similar situation, although not nearly as extreme. I got very riled up about it.
It's not worth it. Put the person on your "filter out" list (that probably doesn't help for Kudoz answerers, but I haven't tried), ignore what he/she says, and get on with your life. Turn off Kudoz for a month or two, if that helps you calm down.

I agree with everything Johanna said about the challenge of Kudoz (and will add that Johanna is an excellent "answerer," and her Kudoz answers have led me to the conclusion that she is one of the top translators on the site for psychology and related fields; I would refer her in a minute to any client in these fields if I had more work than I could manage). But there are lots of other things to concentrate on besides Kudoz.

Susan
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
タイ
Local time: 22:37
英語 から タイ語
+ ...
My language pairs Aug 16, 2010

philgoddard wrote:
Anyway, I recently discovered the statistics feature, which I think is only available to members. It tells you all kinds of fascinating things, like which languages and subject areas you get the largest proportion of agrees in, and how many people have had the effrontery to disagree with you.
I do several European languages into English, and I was surprised by the differences in scores between languages. My hit rate (ie the proportion of times my answer was selected by the asker) was significantly lower in Spanish. I hope this wasn't because of any difference in linguistic ability - I think it was just that so much Spanish gets translated, and so many translators do it, that there are likely to be more answers per question so you have less chance of being chosen.

I have been hired for EN-TH language pair mostly of the time. But my Kudoz points are largest in JP-EN language pair. I have no Kudoz score for GE-TH, FR-TH, ZH-TH, and a few score on JP-TH, EN-TH. The reason is that JP-EN is the most challenging pair with plenty of players (it is a game, isn't it!?). I can do Google search for best answer easily. Questions on EN-TH are also plenty but we have linguistic constraints; my answers were note much hitting.

By the way, I never accept that Kudoz grading is fair enough to evaluate one's expertise: the asker can be biased with certain taste.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 08:37
2002に入会
ハンガリー語 から 英語
+ ...

モデレーター
Vote PRO Sep 7, 2010

I just saw yet another sneaky way to improve your KudoZ statistics. A fairly easy term was posted and marked 'NON-PRO' by the asker himself. He was right; it was a 'questions that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary'. One answer was submitted within 7 minutes, at max. confidence level. At the same time, the very user who submitted the answer voted for reclassification as PRO. Now all she needs is 2 more votes and most likely her reward will be 4 PRO poi... See more
I just saw yet another sneaky way to improve your KudoZ statistics. A fairly easy term was posted and marked 'NON-PRO' by the asker himself. He was right; it was a 'questions that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary'. One answer was submitted within 7 minutes, at max. confidence level. At the same time, the very user who submitted the answer voted for reclassification as PRO. Now all she needs is 2 more votes and most likely her reward will be 4 PRO points for her efforts. I, for one, find this method neither professional nor fair, and hope that staff might consider adjusting the system so that no one can abuse it this way.Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
フランス
Local time: 17:37
フランス語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
PRO vs. non-PRO Sep 7, 2010

ildiko wrote:

I just saw yet another sneaky way to improve your KudoZ statistics. A fairly easy term was posted and marked 'NON-PRO' by the asker himself. He was right; it was a 'questions that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary'. One answer was submitted within 7 minutes, at max. confidence level. At the same time, the very user who submitted the answer voted for reclassification as PRO. Now all she needs is 2 more votes and most likely her reward will be 4 PRO points for her efforts. I, for one, find this method neither professional nor fair, and hope that staff might consider adjusting the system so that no one can abuse it this way.

I have filtered out non-PRO questions and cannot honestly say that I care about the origin of PRO questions. But at times I wonder...

(EFT)

[Edited at 2010-09-07 17:04 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
米国
ドイツ語 から 英語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't see anything wrong with that. Sep 7, 2010

I'm sure it wasn't done to increase her point-scoring chances - she just thought the question deserved PRO status.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
タイ
Local time: 22:37
英語 から タイ語
+ ...
Points for answer are not commanding Sep 8, 2010

Rob Grayson wrote:

As a corollary to this, I would say that the number of KudoZ points a user has racked up is not necessarily a good indicator of expertise. Some of the highest point scorers in my pair persistently post answers that are 100% wrong. I can only assume that they manage to garner such large numbers of points through (a) answering so many questions that they get some right, and (b) managing to fool quite a few askers into believing that their answers are right.

I realize that the asker is never cleverer than the answerer [his/her point giving is not fair enough]. Kudoz points are just a game we should enjoy for a short time, and enjoy it intermittently.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
A few other sneaky ways...like NOT voting easy questions non-pro Sep 8, 2010

ildiko wrote:

I just saw yet another sneaky way to improve your KudoZ statistics. A fairly easy term was posted and marked 'NON-PRO' by the asker himself. He was right; it was a 'questions that can be answered by any bilingual person without the aid of a dictionary'. One answer was submitted within 7 minutes, at max. confidence level. At the same time, the very user who submitted the answer voted for reclassification as PRO. Now all she needs is 2 more votes and most likely her reward will be 4 PRO points for her efforts. I, for one, find this method neither professional nor fair, and hope that staff might consider adjusting the system so that no one can abuse it this way.

Another sneaky way to get silly KudoZ points is to rush in to answer easy questions posted as "PRO" that require no expertise at all and then don't vote for them become non-pro. The more of these you answer (use confidence level 5 to really sell your answer to the Asker, especially when 8 people rush in with the same answer in 5 minutes), the more Kudoz pointZ you get.
Another, even sneakier way to get Kudoz points is to answer after several others have answered and steal the one with the most agrees and try to make it your own.
Or, why not translated the entire sentence or paragraph and not just the term asked. Surely Asker will reward you for so much effort, even if the whole thing is wrong from start to finish...........

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
アルゼンチン
Local time: 12:37
2006に入会
英語 から スペイン語
There is nothing "sneaky" about this Sep 9, 2010

ildiko wrote:

There is nothing "sneaky" about this. Providing an answer to a question and voting for its reclassification as PRO is a perfectly valid behavior.

The vote only means that the user in particular considers that it would be unlikely that a - hypothetical - randomly selected bilingual person would be able to produce a good translation of the term or phrase in question (and in the particular context shown) from the top of his/her head.

Site users are advised to act under the assumption of good faith. Staff operate under the same assumption.

If a user consistently abuses the vote PRO/non-PRO feature you are kindly invited to report this via support

Regards,
Enrique

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sneaky ways to improve your KudoZ statistics

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »