Thread poster: JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 10:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 20, 2010

Something strange and wonderful happened to me today. I got an email about an interesting-looking KudoZ question, so I clicked on it. As usual, I was multitasking and had 6 or 8 tabs open. I have no idea how long it was before I opened that tab and read through the question. One of my colleagues had commented that it really ought to be a non-pro question, and I agreed. Hers was the only name by "votes for reclassification," so I clicked "vote non-pro" to add my vote.

Here's the amaz
... See more
Something strange and wonderful happened to me today. I got an email about an interesting-looking KudoZ question, so I clicked on it. As usual, I was multitasking and had 6 or 8 tabs open. I have no idea how long it was before I opened that tab and read through the question. One of my colleagues had commented that it really ought to be a non-pro question, and I agreed. Hers was the only name by "votes for reclassification," so I clicked "vote non-pro" to add my vote.

Here's the amazing thing: the page refreshed, and there was a colorful pink dialog box, with red lettering, telling me, "Something went wrong... This is already a non-PRO question." I checked it out, and sure enough...while I was multitasking, two others had voted non-pro, making it a reality.

Now, many many months ago, I made the same mistake, and was frustrated to see my name on the page as having voted Pro! As I learned, the button was a toggle switch; whatever the current classification, clicking that button registered as a vote in the opposite direction.

I submitted a support ticket, asking for the buttons to be made absolute, complaining that, even if I was silly enough to not refresh the page before voting, I shouldn't see my name by a "Pro" vote when I had clicked a button that said "Vote non-pro." I don't even remember what patient staffer dealt with me, but s/he was kind enough to agree and say "we'll work on it."

I forgot, but ProZ didn't; my request has been implemented, and I feel a quite absurd rush of gratification.

There is another forum/message board that I frequent; for weeks people, including me, have had to copy and delete posts, then edit the text and repost in a new thread, because the "edit" feature is out of order. There's no one to complain to, no history whatsoever of the site's ever responding to user complaints or suggestions.

Thank you, ProZ.com staff, for listening (well, reading...YKWIM), and responding.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 10:38
SITE FOUNDER
Thank you, JaneTranslates Mar 20, 2010

Nice of you to take the time to post, JaneTranslates.

I am proud of our member services team (part of which carries out support), which now has nine full-time members. You can see most of them on the lower right of the support page: http://www.proz.com/support (For those who don't know, that is the page for entering suggestions like JaneTranslates', for asking for help, etc.) And of cour
... See more
Nice of you to take the time to post, JaneTranslates.

I am proud of our member services team (part of which carries out support), which now has nine full-time members. You can see most of them on the lower right of the support page: http://www.proz.com/support (For those who don't know, that is the page for entering suggestions like JaneTranslates', for asking for help, etc.) And of course it takes developers to implement this sort of thing behind the scenes -- you can see some of them here: http://www.proz.com/about/

Of course thanks go to you, JaneTranslates, for calling attention to areas of the site that need to be improved! (The earlier shoddy work there may have been mine...)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thank you, Responsive Site Staff

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »