Addition to KudoZ asker mouseover: questions closed without grading
Inițiatorul discuției: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 02:28
PERSONAL PROZ.COM
Nov 21, 2008

Dear members,

I'd like to announce a small addition to information shown in KudoZ questions. The KudoZ activity mouseover which is shown by pausing your cursor on the asker's name will now show the number of questions the asker has closed without grading:

Have a great week
... See more
Dear members,

I'd like to announce a small addition to information shown in KudoZ questions. The KudoZ activity mouseover which is shown by pausing your cursor on the asker's name will now show the number of questions the asker has closed without grading:

Have a great weekend,

Jared
Collapse

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croaţia
Local time: 07:28
din engleză în croată
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nice feature - why not a link Nov 21, 2008

Thank you, Jared for another useful feature for both askers and answerers.

However, it would be even better if the "number" of questions closed without grading could be provided as a link, like all other numerical information shown under KudoZ activity. This would allow us to check the questions closed without grading without having to browse all the questions asked by a particular asker.

RichardDeegan
RichardDeegan
Local time: 00:28
din spaniolă în engleză
Thanks, really helpful Nov 22, 2008

Too many thoughtless askers continue to close even with more than one good answer, and was almost impossible to track.

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italia
Membru (2007)
din engleză în italiană
Second that Nov 22, 2008

Kristina Mijic wrote:

Thank you, Jared for another useful feature for both askers and answerers.

However, it would be even better if the "number" of questions closed without grading could be provided as a link, like all other numerical information shown under KudoZ activity. This would allow us to check the questions closed without grading without having to browse all the questions asked by a particular asker.

Great feature, but what really annoy me are questions closed without grading and no explanation whatsoever, which eventually lead me to push the filter button. With a direct link I would be able to check the questions closed straightaway.
Regards
G

[Edited at 2008-11-22 13:00 GMT]

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
din engleză în spaniolă
+ ...
I must be getting old Nov 22, 2008

I agree with Gianni: questions that are just closed without an explanation are very annoying. While I understand that often the asker continues to research and think, and can quite possibly come up with the best answer (if only because he or she has the whole document as context), the fact is that many of us try to help and are plain curious about what the best solution might be.

However –and I admit that this is possibly a sign of ageing– what really bothers me is questions clo
... See more
I agree with Gianni: questions that are just closed without an explanation are very annoying. While I understand that often the asker continues to research and think, and can quite possibly come up with the best answer (if only because he or she has the whole document as context), the fact is that many of us try to help and are plain curious about what the best solution might be.

However –and I admit that this is possibly a sign of ageing– what really bothers me is questions closed without grading in which the asker doesn't even say thank you. Not that I answer questions to be thanked, but I do sometimes (specially in questions about Law) spend quite a bit of time doing research. I enjoy it, but on occasion I have the feeling that the asker possibly doesn't have the background knowledge necessary to do that research himself. Maybe he doesn't like or trust my answer, but surely it's obvious that I spent a fair amount of time on it?

Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 01:28
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
Thanks, Jared. Nov 22, 2008

I think it's a great idea, and agree with the desirability of clickability. If it's not too much trouble?

OT: I see you're still using "jane" for the fake usernames you create for testing purposes. I remember once submitting a support ticket when several of those showed up in the "Welcome new members" box. Strangely enough, the name "Jane" tends to catch my eye.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Membru (2004)
din italiană în germană
+ ...
It should be made compulsory to say which answer was found Nov 22, 2008

if questions are closed for this reason (answer found elsewhere). Very few people do, but most don't.

And I have a couple of other suggestions, too:

I find it extremely irritating to see, when moving the cursor over an asker's name: 70 (or 45, or 103, or whatever) questions open!

Now isn't there a KudoZ limit which I don't remember exactly, but anyway only 10 or 15 questions may be left open before asking a new question? I believe that this restriction d
... See more
if questions are closed for this reason (answer found elsewhere). Very few people do, but most don't.

And I have a couple of other suggestions, too:

I find it extremely irritating to see, when moving the cursor over an asker's name: 70 (or 45, or 103, or whatever) questions open!

Now isn't there a KudoZ limit which I don't remember exactly, but anyway only 10 or 15 questions may be left open before asking a new question? I believe that this restriction doesn't work and I (and other colleagues) have seen more than one case where a lot more questions than 15 had not been closed (with at least one answer) and nevertheless the asker continues to post new questions.

I am perfectly aware that there may be some questions that didn't get any answer at all and therefore are left open (and are counted as "not closed"), but dozens of questions without any answer in my opinion are most improbable.
Would it be possible to distinguish between "questions with no answer" (and therefore still open) and questions with at least one answer, and equally never closed?

And then, teaching the robot to count correctly the open (answered) questions would be highly appreciated; in this way, the limit before a new question can be asked could be finally respected.

Thank you very much.
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Membru (2006)
din engleză în spaniolă
How the limit works, plus a good idea Nov 22, 2008

Christel Zipfel wrote:

Now isn't there a KudoZ limit which I don't remember exactly, but anyway only 10 or 15 questions may be left open before asking a new question? I believe that this restriction doesn't work and I (and other colleagues) have seen more than one case where a lot more questions than 15 had not been closed (with at least one answer) and nevertheless the asker continues to post new questions.

Hi Christel,

The limit will not allow more questions to be asked by any user who has ten or more open questions with valid answers that are at least a week old. As far as I know the limit works properly.

Not included in the limit are questions without answers, or those in which all answers were declined, or questions that were asked less than a week ago.

A member could for instance ask 15 questions today and another 15 questions tomorrow, and receive answers in all of them and not close them. In this case (s)he could still ask in spite of having 30 open questions because they are less than a week old.

However, a week after the tenth question was asked no new questions will be allowed unless enough answers are closed to keep the count of open questions with valid answers older than a week below ten.

I am perfectly aware that there may be some questions that didn't get any answer at all and therefore are left open (and are counted as "not closed"), but dozens of questions without any answer in my opinion are most improbable.

Would it be possible to distinguish between "questions with no answer" (and therefore still open) and questions with at least one answer, and equally never closed?

This is a good idea and it would contribute to a better understanding of the statistics. I will add this to the to-dos list.

Thanks,
Enrique

Sara M
Sara M  Identity Verified
din spaniolă în franceză
+ ...
another limit Nov 24, 2008

This new feature is interesting, but the system doesn't take into account questions that have been closed only because the answer has been "selected automatically based on peer agreement".
Correct me if I'm wrong...

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Membru (2006)
din engleză în spaniolă
Closed questions Nov 24, 2008

Orbis Scriptum wrote:

This new feature is interesting, but the system doesn't take into account questions that have been closed only because the answer has been "selected automatically based on peer agreement".
Correct me if I'm wrong...

Questions that were closed by the system based on peer agreements are considered closed.

Regards,
Enrique

Sara M
Sara M  Identity Verified
din spaniolă în franceză
+ ...
I know Nov 24, 2008

Enrique wrote:

Questions that were closed by the system based on peer agreements are considered closed.

Regards,
Enrique

Yes, and that's the problem!
There is, in one of my pairs, an asker who NEVER closes his questions : they are closed automatically. Kudozers don't have access to this (important) information, and it gives a wrong impression of the asker's behaviour.
(sorry, I'm not used to writing in english, it must be awful!)

[Modifié le 2008-11-24 12:34 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Addition to KudoZ asker mouseover: questions closed without grading

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »