Kudoz: How many open questions are out there?
Tópico cartaz: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Espanha
Local time: 18:38
Membro (2005)
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
Oct 18, 2008

Every now and then some asker posting a new question is not aware of the fact that he/she still has many open questions (as many as 20 or more in some cases; and most of them rather old questions).

When I look for the questions (via their profile) and let them know, they are quite surprised. They do know that they must close questions, but somehow they are not encouraged enough or reminded enough to close them. Apparently they ignored the reminders to close the questions and forgot
... See more
Every now and then some asker posting a new question is not aware of the fact that he/she still has many open questions (as many as 20 or more in some cases; and most of them rather old questions).

When I look for the questions (via their profile) and let them know, they are quite surprised. They do know that they must close questions, but somehow they are not encouraged enough or reminded enough to close them. Apparently they ignored the reminders to close the questions and forgot the questions altogether.

I am talking about questions with:
- No answers
- Answers but no agrees
- Several answers with a similar or equivalent number of agrees.

All of them are the kind that don't close automatically.

Independently of whether action should be taken to tackle this, I wanted to ask Proz staff, just out of sheer curiosity really:

How many open questions are there on record?
Collapse

MelissiM
MelissiM
Itália
and I'd like to add Mar 9, 2009

that the kudoz rule (see) isn't applied!!!
If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions. Please grade and close these questions to continue asking.
Cristina

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:38
Membro (2006)
inglês para espanhol
This rule should be always enforced by the code Mar 9, 2009

ciumbino wrote:

that the kudoz rule (see) isn't applied!!!
If you have ten (10) questions that have received valid answers and have been open for more than a week, you will not be allowed to ask further questions. Please grade and close these questions to continue asking.
Cristina

Hi Cristina,

Can you provide (via my profile email or through a support request) an example of this rule not being enforced?

This is part of the code, the only way of not enforcing the rule would be by a bug.

Please note that the questions must have valid answers. This means that questions without answers and questions where all answers have been declined are not included in the count.

Regards,
Enrique

MelissiM
MelissiM
Itália
yes, I sent you Mar 9, 2009

some examples via mail (and I hope if there are other persons who noticed similar thing, they will notify you). Thank you very much, Enrique. Cristina

Espanha
Membro (2005)
inglês para espanhol
+ ...
CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
Thanks a lot Enrique! Mar 9, 2009

Yes, thanks a million Enrique. I keep finding people who have 20 questions open, even from year 2003 and earlier sometimes. When I find a case in which the web rule is not working, I will also email you. Thanks for looking into this! Tomás

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Membro (2006)
inglês para espanhol
To be investigated Mar 9, 2009

Please note that even a non-member could ask up to 20 questions in a week, receive answer and leave them open, so the next week (s)he would have 20 open questions with valid answers older than a week. This is possible, but this user should not be allowed to ask new questions until that count falls below 10.

Cristina was so kind to send me a couple of links. I will investigate them and will report back here.

Thanks a lot!
Enrique

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Membro (2006)
inglês para espanhol
The system passed the test Mar 9, 2009

Hi friends,

I investigated the profile sent by Cristina and I manually reviewed all of that profile's 28 open questions. I found out the following:

• 7 open questions with valid answers that are older than a week
  • 14 open questions where the asker has declined all the suggested answers
  • 7 open questions with valid answers that were posted less than a week ago.

Consistently with these results, when I tried to post a KudoZ question simu... See more
  • Hi friends,

I investigated the profile sent by Cristina and I manually reviewed all of that profile's 28 open questions. I found out the following:

• 7 open questions with valid answers that are older than a week
  • 14 open questions where the asker has declined all the suggested answers
  • 7 open questions with valid answers that were posted less than a week ago.

Consistently with these results, when I tried to post a KudoZ question simulating this profile I got a message "You currently have (7) open KudoZ question(s) (asked more than 7 days ago)"

So the limit seems to be working.

Regards,
    Enrique ▲ Collapse

•  
    Espanha
    Membro (2005)
    inglês para espanhol
    + ...
    CRIADOR(A) DO TÓPICO
    OK! Mar 9, 2009

Thanks for sharing that Enrique. We will keep our eyes wide open just in case!

Enrique Cavalitto
    Argentina
    Membro (2006)
    inglês para espanhol
    Much appreciated feedback Mar 9, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Thanks for sharing that Enrique. We will keep our eyes wide open just in case!

Thank you Tomás and Cristina!

Your feedback is much appreciated, your open eyes are part of our quality assurance mechanism

Regards,
    Enrique

MelissiM
    MelissiM
    Itália
    thanks a lot Mar 9, 2009

Thank you very much, Enrique, I feel reassured now! cristina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz: How many open questions are out there?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
    Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »