Stemming in Across
Thread poster: Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:01
Finnish to French
Jul 18, 2011

Hi,

I'm having problems with term recognition in Across Personal Edition (5.0 SP1_E). My source language is Finnish, which is supposed to be a supported language, as stated on p. 424 of the Reference Guide:

The stemming is currently supported for the following languages: Danish, German, English, Finnish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish.

Problem is: some terms are recognized when they occur in an inflected form, while othe
... See more
Hi,

I'm having problems with term recognition in Across Personal Edition (5.0 SP1_E). My source language is Finnish, which is supposed to be a supported language, as stated on p. 424 of the Reference Guide:

The stemming is currently supported for the following languages: Danish, German, English, Finnish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish.

Problem is: some terms are recognized when they occur in an inflected form, while other aren't. For instance, if I have the following base forms (nominative) in CrossTerm: vuolukivi, liikevaihto, the genitive form (vuolukiven, liikevaihdon) will be recognized (as indicated by the red overline) for the first term, but not the second one.

Do I need to do something special in order to tell Across stemming should be used? I did find the following (p. 120):

Use stemming: Here you can determine whether the so-called stemming should be used
for terminology detection.

This is supposed to be under some 'CrossTerm tab', but it is a feature of crossGrid Packaging Templates, which is apparently part of Administration, something I assume I have no access to in Personal Edition.

Does stemming work for your source language by default in Personal Edition?

Thanks,

Dominique
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stemming in Across

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »