Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Powwow: Washington D.C. - United States

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Washington D.C. - United States".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:31
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Reminder for Saturday Jul 22, 2004

This is a reminder for coming to the powwow this Saturday, July 24, Noon at the National Gallery.
Henry will be there!!! (Thanks Henry)
Please do not miss this opportiunity! I will post a few more details later,
See you there!
Monika

Monika Coulson
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
More info about the meeting place Jul 22, 2004

With Rosi's help (Thank you so much Rosi!) we now have a reserved room at the Garden Cafe.
For those who are not familiar with the place, please visit this link: http://www.nga.gov/ginfo/area_map.htm
It will give you lots of info and maps as well. See you all there
Monika

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir
Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:31
English to Turkish
+ ...
Outside or inside? Jul 22, 2004

Direct link to the Garden Cafe: http://www.nga.gov/ginfo/cafes.htm#garden

So are we still meeting outside by the pyramids or at the cafe itself? Thanks.

Aziz

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Henry will be there! Jul 22, 2004

What a pleasure! I really look forward to meeting him!
For those who do not know, Henry is the founder of Proz.com. As for meeting at the Triangles or at the restaurant, I would say we meet at the Triangles at noon, and at the restaurant at 12.30 (time of the reservation). By the way, the reservation is in the name of DUENAS, and the Garden cafe is located at the very middle of the East Building, past the Gift shop if you enter through the door on 4th Street (which is the door in front of
... See more
What a pleasure! I really look forward to meeting him!
For those who do not know, Henry is the founder of Proz.com. As for meeting at the Triangles or at the restaurant, I would say we meet at the Triangles at noon, and at the restaurant at 12.30 (time of the reservation). By the way, the reservation is in the name of DUENAS, and the Garden cafe is located at the very middle of the East Building, past the Gift shop if you enter through the door on 4th Street (which is the door in front of the Glass Triangles). The best thing to do to orient ourselves is to take a look at the map on the National Gallery of Art web page. See you on Saturday!!!!
Collapse

Monika Coulson
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Meet outside first, then go inside Jul 22, 2004

Hello,
We will meet outside first, right by the glass pyramids. Then we'll go inside.
We will meet at 12:00 outside and for those who might be late, we will be at the Garden Cafe at 12:30 pm and after.

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir
English to Turkish
+ ...
Small correction: West not East Jul 22, 2004

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:
"...middle of the East Building..."

Just so out-of-towners don't get confused, that's a typo: it's actually the West building. Thanks so much for making the reservation, Rosi.

Aziz

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Have a good one Jul 22, 2004

I wish I could be there. I will be home visiting the D.C. area starting a few days after the powwow. I've already met Monika and Henry in Barcelona. You will like them. Henry has professional baseball players in his family.

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
In the spur of the moment... Same powwow take two Aug 19, 2004

Here is the plan I (Edward Potter) have concocted:

What: Informal get-together for translators in the D.C. area.
When: Friday, August 20 at 6:30 P.M.
Where: White Flint Mall, The Coffee Beanery (1st level) at 6:30 P.M. and then The Cheesecake Factory (1st level) around 7:30 P.M.

I figured we could meet up first for a drink while we await everyone and then move on over to the restaurant around 7:30. I don't know the mall too well, other than for Dave and
... See more
Here is the plan I (Edward Potter) have concocted:

What: Informal get-together for translators in the D.C. area.
When: Friday, August 20 at 6:30 P.M.
Where: White Flint Mall, The Coffee Beanery (1st level) at 6:30 P.M. and then The Cheesecake Factory (1st level) around 7:30 P.M.

I figured we could meet up first for a drink while we await everyone and then move on over to the restaurant around 7:30. I don't know the mall too well, other than for Dave and Busters. They don't seem to have the best selection of restaurants but the location is pretty central considering Sandra in NOVA and Monika out in the boonies.

Confirmations?

Edward
Telephone: 301-776-0007

Metro info:
The White Flint Red Line Metro station is in Montgomery County. The station is about a quarter-mile from the White Flint Plaza shopping mall.
Last train departs: Shady Grove- 11:40 p.m. Glenmont-12:30 a.m. (Trains leave exactly 2 hours later on Friday and Saturday nights.)
Parking: $2.25 all day
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=795787

Mall web site:
http://www.shopwhiteflint.com/

Cheescake Factory description:
"...The Cheesecake Factory Incorporated operates 48 upscale, casual dining restaurants under The Cheesecake Factory® name... Distinctive architecture, stylish décor, superior service and an extensive, innovative menu of more than 200 items with generous portions at moderate prices combine to create an overall dining experience with unparalleled value..." states company's web site.
http://www.shopwhiteflint.com/Stores/restaurant/cheesecake.htm
Collapse

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir
English to Turkish
+ ...
Have fun! Aug 19, 2004

Hello, everyone. As I was telling Rosi by email, I'll in be attending a birthday party at the same time, so I'll have to sit this one out.

A few people expressed interest in getting together informally at the end of the first powwow, and I was planning on sending a group email (you can see the mention in the report I posted), but I never found the time to track down everyone's emails. Never occurred to me that the powwow posting system would work after the powwow; thanks, Rosi.
... See more
Hello, everyone. As I was telling Rosi by email, I'll in be attending a birthday party at the same time, so I'll have to sit this one out.

A few people expressed interest in getting together informally at the end of the first powwow, and I was planning on sending a group email (you can see the mention in the report I posted), but I never found the time to track down everyone's emails. Never occurred to me that the powwow posting system would work after the powwow; thanks, Rosi.

I'll try to make it to the next one, formal or informal.

Aziz
Collapse

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reservations Aug 19, 2004

Hi. We should see if Cheesecake will take reservations for a larger group. Otherwise, we might be in for a long wait.

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm going to have to pull out Aug 20, 2004

Hi guys -

I'm not going to be able to make it. The owner of the company my husband works for has insisted that we join him tonight for dinner to celebrate a big milestone they've reached on the project he's managing. Have to go and play the dutiful wife...

Please accept my apologies. I really wanted to be there. Edward, feel free to call me and say hi! 571-241-3060. (571 is Virginia. They ran out of 703s.)

Take care!
Sandra

Ltemes
Ltemes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
I can't make it either Aug 20, 2004

Dear colleagues,

I was planning on going but something came up last minute and I can't be in two places at once, and since I don't have a car White Flint is really a long way for me (I'm in NOVA too). I would have loved to go and meet Edward, who's living in my "madre patria", but it's going to have to be another time.

Have fun!
Laura (Ltemes)

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir
English to Turkish
+ ...
Another powwow! Nov 10, 2004

Hello everyone. Some of you may recall that we'd talked about getting together again in a few months. This might be the chance: www.proz.com/powwow/604

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Washington D.C. - United States

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »