Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: "Geil" - mostly for Germen speakers...
Thread poster: Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:58
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jun 27, 2009

Hi guys,

I used to love this song by "Bruce & Bongo" in 80's and it reached no. 1 in many European countries. Without trying to find out on-line what it means, I am asking here to get some more "insight" and probably some subtle meaning behind "geil" (if there is one). Why is Boris Becker etc. "geil"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03FnBFscMVM

It is very
... See more
Hi guys,

I used to love this song by "Bruce & Bongo" in 80's and it reached no. 1 in many European countries. Without trying to find out on-line what it means, I am asking here to get some more "insight" and probably some subtle meaning behind "geil" (if there is one). Why is Boris Becker etc. "geil"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03FnBFscMVM

It is very silly, but I'm dying to know.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:58
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Cool Jun 27, 2009

It has the meaning of "horny", but at least in the 60's it was used by everyone in the meaning of cool, pop etc. Echt geil!
Regards
Heinrich

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 01:58
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
He he Jun 27, 2009

I found this title very naughty...

Yes, I agree with what Heinrich has said.I think "sexually aroused" is its first meaning, and it turned into " cool or awesome" later on..

As far as I know it can also refer to " hot or good-looking".. Boris Becker may be " geil" as in cool or awesome.

[Edited at 2009-06-27 19:34 GMT]

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:58
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
LOL.:~))) Jun 27, 2009

Thank you so much.
I was pretty sure there was some "hidden" meaning behind "geil" since it was so famous. Still have no idea what does it mean as an "innocent" word. :~)))

matteo brambilla
matteo brambilla  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
^__^ Jun 27, 2009

I have always loved that song (even if I was only 2 or 3 yo at that time)!
Thanks for letting me know about the "hidden" meaning!

Tschuss!
Matteo

Kai Döring
Kai Döring  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 07:58
English to German
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"Innocent" word Jun 28, 2009

Rad Graban wrote:

Thank you so much.
I was pretty sure there was some "hidden" meaning behind "geil" since it was so famous. Still have no idea what does it mean as an "innocent" word. :~)))

the most "innocent" meaning of geil is 'very nice'

Das ist geil! --> That is very nice.))

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Strictly linguistic into and out of Swedish Jun 28, 2009

Norstedts tysk-svenska ordbok
geil adj

1 kåt/kättjefull (randy, horny, sexually aroused, lustful, lecherous);
auf jmdn. (etw. ack.) ~ sein = be crazy about someone/something

2 häftig, fantastisk =super, cool, awesome;
[echt] ~! häftigt = fantastic, super, cool, awesome

Mats

[Edited at 2009-06-28 15:49 GMT]

Anke Guido
Anke Guido
English to German
+ ...
krass Jun 28, 2009

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

It has the meaning of "horny", but at least in the 60's it was used by everyone in the meaning of cool, pop etc. Echt geil!
Regards
Heinrich

It still is used in that way by many, also educated, speakers in an informal context. I don't think younger speakers use it much. They tend to use "krass" or "voll krass" at the moment. I wonder what will be the next "cool" term to arise... And whether "krass" will be used as long as "geil"...

Sonja Köppen
Sonja Köppen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
In the 60 and ever since Jun 28, 2009

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
at least in the 60's it was used by everyone in the meaning of cool, pop etc.

It's being used so widely in this "cool" sense (and always was as far as I remember) that it was an actual effort for me to ban it from my everyday language when my kids began talking (when a baby finds something to his/her liking and calls it "geil", the word suddenly sounds peculiar). So we find that it has been used that way at least for the last 40 years. Bit shocking (I didn't know that!) because each generation seems to avoid it as soon as the next arrives. Well the efforts are obviously wasted.

Edited to add: When people refer to the sexually aroused state, they tend to employ different terms. In everyday language at least where the variety of alternatives is vast, including lots of localisms.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-06-28 20:35 GMT]

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Geiz ist geil! Jun 28, 2009

I like this word a lot. I learned it when I saw it used in the slogan "Geiz ist geil" from a major chain of shops selling electronic products here in Germany.

I think you can translated as "stinginess is cool" (because you could allegedly get very low prices in their shops).

Daniel

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dutch Jun 29, 2009

In Dutch it still has only the 'original' meaning, so for us it sounds very strange when Germans use it to say something is cool

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Afrikaans Jun 29, 2009

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:
In Dutch it still has only the 'original' meaning, so for us it sounds very strange when Germans use it to say something is cool

The word "geil" in Afrikaans means "fast-growing" and usually refers to plants only. The sexual connotation is very rare in Afrikaans, and never literal.

I remember reading a Dutch commentary on an Afrikaans poem that contained the word, and it was immediately clear that although the reviewer liked the poem, he had grossly misinterpreted it.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Afrikaans Jun 29, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
The word "geil" in Afrikaans means "fast-growing"

* coughs*

Symbolically speaking, it resembles the Dutch meaning.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Geil in Dutch and Afrikaans Jun 29, 2009

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

Hi Wilmer,

The meaning of geil has also shifted in Dutch. I remember how shocked I was when Simon Carmiggelt talked about 'geile aarde' (fertile soil) on Dutch television.

books.google.com/books?id=JGYTAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA344&lpg=PA344&dq="geile%20aarde"&source=bl&ots=5Gc4DX7mgx&sig=es52-F8TpFO_gCheu2iYix-9V_8&hl=en&ei=y8FISofhM8eMjAeDv9G4BQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Regards,
Gerard

Marcel Bas
Marcel Bas
English to Dutch
+ ...
Geil - jags - glyerig Aug 28, 2009

Hi there,

Yes, the meaning of the Dutch word 'geil' has shifted from 'fertile, fast growing' to 'horny'. As it has in German, where it also means "great!".

This leaves us with the Afrikaans word that denotes "horny". Well, that is "jags". It must have derived from a Dutch word "jachts", which can be analysed as a genitive form of the noun 'jacht', which means 'hunt'.

So you could translate 'jags' more litterally as 'eager to hunt'. ...
See more
Hi there,

Yes, the meaning of the Dutch word 'geil' has shifted from 'fertile, fast growing' to 'horny'. As it has in German, where it also means "great!".

This leaves us with the Afrikaans word that denotes "horny". Well, that is "jags". It must have derived from a Dutch word "jachts", which can be analysed as a genitive form of the noun 'jacht', which means 'hunt'.

So you could translate 'jags' more litterally as 'eager to hunt'.

"Geil" is related to words such as "glijden" (to glide).

Best regards,

R.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Geil" - mostly for Germen speakers...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »