Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: "Geil" - mostly for Germen speakers...
Thread poster: Rad Graban (X)
Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:10
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Es war ne geile Zeit Aug 28, 2009

ag_translations wrote:
I don't think younger speakers use it much. They tend to use "krass" or "voll krass" at the moment. I wonder what will be the next "cool" term to arise... And whether "krass" will be used as long as "geil"...
No, no, you are wrong. "Krass" is not that established as "geil". For example: "geiler Urlaub" 10.500 Hits
"krasser Urlaub" just 300 hits.
In addition sometimes "krass" has a negative connotation, but "geil" never.

The song "Geile Zeit" by Juli is some kind of a hymn for a lot of kids. Released in 2004, but you can hear it everyday on radiostations aimed at kids and youngsters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K7lDABqW80

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:10
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Vergeilen ist ungeil Aug 28, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
The word "geil" in Afrikaans means "fast-growing" and usually refers to plants only. The sexual connotation is very rare in Afrikaans, and never literal.
That's interesting, because "vergeilen" is a technical term (botany) for a fast growing plant that has not enough light.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiolation

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:10
French to English
remix Aug 28, 2009

On the related links, that song has a New York Horny Remix.
Which might suggest that at least one person took it that way

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hilarious Aug 28, 2009

Tuliparola wrote:
That's interesting, because "vergeilen" is a technical term (botany) for a fast growing plant that has not enough light.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etiolation

This is really funny and very interesting at the same time. I never expected that my innocent question will result in such interesting linguistic information from so many languages. :~))))
Thank you all! :~))))

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I wonder what the meaning is /was in Austria Aug 30, 2009

ag_translations wrote:

krass
It still is used in that way by many, also educated, speakers in an informal context. I don't think younger speakers use it much. They tend to use "krass" or "voll krass" at the moment. I wonder what will be the next "cool" term to arise... And whether "krass" will be used as long as "geil"...

In Hungarian the word is borrowed from Austrian German, probably a very long time ago, and it means sickly, cloying, syrupy, nauseating (too sweet, ower the top) - taste, style, behaviour, etc.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Geil" - mostly for Germen speakers...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »