Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:18
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Oct 31, 2006

Hi all fellow translators!

Since I 'accidentally discovered' ProZ six months ago while aimlessly browsing sites, I started feeling a sense of belonging to the translators community admittedly after initial suspicion and hesitation. Never before I became a registered user at ProZ, I felt so proud and empowered being a translator.

In my country, very few if not none take translation as full time profession. Teachers, university students (I also started translation during
... See more
Hi all fellow translators!

Since I 'accidentally discovered' ProZ six months ago while aimlessly browsing sites, I started feeling a sense of belonging to the translators community admittedly after initial suspicion and hesitation. Never before I became a registered user at ProZ, I felt so proud and empowered being a translator.

In my country, very few if not none take translation as full time profession. Teachers, university students (I also started translation during my graduation), journalists (I am now) and retired government officials usually do translation jobs as part timers mainly for passion or to earn some extra money. So we do not introduce ourselves to people as translators as it is not our primary profession. But when I increasingly got familiar with ProZ, I got surprised that so many people around the world do translation as fulltime job. Now when I do translation for agencies around the world, I feel strong urge in myself to announce to people that I am a translator and I am happy to be a translator!

When I see announcements of ProZ conferences on the homepage of the site, I feel that it would be so nice if I could attend a ProZ conference and meet my fellow translators who speak different languages and live in different countries.

I checked that ProZ organises international conference once a year and regional conferences more than once. I saw that most of the conferences are/were held either in America or in Europe. But many translators who live here in South Asia cannot afford to attend a European or [Latin] American conference, so I wish that if ProZ organises an international or at least regional conference in any South Asian countries.

I do not know well how ProZ organises a conference or whether it is viable to hold a conference given the number of translators live in this part of the world but it is my heart-felt wish.

Best

Lubain Masum

[Edited at 2006-10-31 16:43]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposed ProZ conference in South Asia

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »