Vaska Koceva
Vaska Koceva
North Macedonia
Local time: 08:09
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Jan 26, 2008

Hi everyone,

I am trying to translate a text from English into Macedonian using Wordfast, but I cannot even start the translation. Whenever I click on the first arrow of the toolbar (start translation) in order to start the translation, a message appears saying: Target segment empty. Do you wish to end translation?

Also, the segments in English are highlighted, but their Macedonian equvalents don't appear.

I have tried using "next placeable" arrow, but it d
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am trying to translate a text from English into Macedonian using Wordfast, but I cannot even start the translation. Whenever I click on the first arrow of the toolbar (start translation) in order to start the translation, a message appears saying: Target segment empty. Do you wish to end translation?

Also, the segments in English are highlighted, but their Macedonian equvalents don't appear.

I have tried using "next placeable" arrow, but it doesn't work.

This has repeated for several times now, and I really don't know how I could start using Wordfast. Any suggestions will be of help.

Many thanks.

Vaska
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try to write the translation Jan 27, 2008

Wordfast is no machine translation tool, you actually have to translate yourself. Sorry if I disappoint your expectations, but that's the way it is. )-:
Cheers
Heinrich

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some comments Jan 27, 2008

Vaska Koceva wrote:
Whenever I click on the first arrow of the toolbar (start translation) in order to start the translation, a message appears saying: Target segment empty. Do you wish to end translation?

This is very strange. Usually you have to press that button twice before this message appears. The fact that WF refuses to validate an empty target is actually a feature for new users, to prevent them from accidently leaving empty translations in the text. If you are confident that you won't make that mistake, you can change this behaviour (the user manual will tell you how -- I think you need to change a Pandora's Box option).

There could be several causes. Have you checked the TM in Notepad to see if the relevant TU or a very similar does in fact exist? If so, and if it definitely is there, try reorganising your TM (it sometimes works to just give WF a little nudge). Alternatively, try lowering your minimum match percentage to 60%. If all else fails, try doing a context search using a phrase in the English, and when the result appears, copy and paste the Macedonian result, and move on to the next segment.

I have tried using "next placeable" arrow, but it doesn't work.

I'm surprised that the "next placeable" arrow doesn't work. Are you sure there are placeables in the source text? Perhaps your MS Word version's colour scheme makes it impossible for you to see the red box that appears around a placeable when you use "next placeable" -- have you tried using "copy placeable" after you've used "next placeable" to see if placeables are copied?

[Edited at 2008-01-27 10:20]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast message: Target segment empty

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »