Thread poster: Daniela Cesana
Daniela Cesana
Daniela Cesana
Local time: 12:31
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 5, 2007

Hi all,

I am new to Proz.com and have experience only with Trados CAT Tool.
I haven't been working as a translator for a while (after having worked in the past as in-house using Trados only) and now trying to get started again as a freelancer.
I am completing a test translation to get a 30,000 word translation project but I have no CAT tool yet.
Do you think I will be able to handle this project just by getting the free WordFast version? Another problem is that th
... See more
Hi all,

I am new to Proz.com and have experience only with Trados CAT Tool.
I haven't been working as a translator for a while (after having worked in the past as in-house using Trados only) and now trying to get started again as a freelancer.
I am completing a test translation to get a 30,000 word translation project but I have no CAT tool yet.
Do you think I will be able to handle this project just by getting the free WordFast version? Another problem is that the translation agency requires the translation to be done in Trados and said they don't know how to convert WordFast files and TMs into Trados and viceversa. I have read in this forum that this is possible, so what do you advise I should do?
I just don't want to buy Trados now since it is very expensive and I might not need to use it in the future since WordFast seems quite a good alternative accepted by most vendors.

Daniela
Collapse

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
Local time: 12:31
French to Dutch
+ ...
Some answers Jun 6, 2007

Wordfast works as a big macro of Word. If you have a Word file, you can directly translate on a copy of it. You will obtain a bilingual file which you can print, correct, etc. You deliver this file to your client (uncleaned), and it is 100% Trados compatible.

As for TM's, if you client wants you to give a TM, you ask for a TM in the .TMX format. Wordfast cannot use the Trados .TXT format, and Trados cannot use the Wordfast .TXT format. So you'll have to convert it in the exchange fo
... See more
Wordfast works as a big macro of Word. If you have a Word file, you can directly translate on a copy of it. You will obtain a bilingual file which you can print, correct, etc. You deliver this file to your client (uncleaned), and it is 100% Trados compatible.

As for TM's, if you client wants you to give a TM, you ask for a TM in the .TMX format. Wordfast cannot use the Trados .TXT format, and Trados cannot use the Wordfast .TXT format. So you'll have to convert it in the exchange format .TMX. In most cases this one is compatible too, but you'd better give it a try on one or two pages before translating 30,000 words.

[Bijgewerkt op 2007-06-06 10:26]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting files and TMs from Trados to WordFast and viceversa

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »