Lincoln Silveira (X)
Lincoln Silveira (X)
Brazil
Local time: 03:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 9, 2007

Dear All,

I am having difficulties running Word and WF on a P4 1.8 Ghz with 1 Gb ram.

Here is why: the CPU load will peak when I have WF open a segment, type a few keystrokes on open segments, validate one segment and go to the other.

Working on a document in normal mode seems of no avail. It's simply a matter of having Word open and work on a document with WF and the CPU load will stay at or around 100%, degrading overall computer performance.

... See more
Dear All,

I am having difficulties running Word and WF on a P4 1.8 Ghz with 1 Gb ram.

Here is why: the CPU load will peak when I have WF open a segment, type a few keystrokes on open segments, validate one segment and go to the other.

Working on a document in normal mode seems of no avail. It's simply a matter of having Word open and work on a document with WF and the CPU load will stay at or around 100%, degrading overall computer performance.

Has anyone ever experienced this with Word and WF? Do you know a workaround? I have a sneaky suspicion about VBA issues, but don't know where to look for a cure or solution for this.

I am using have the latest version of WF, Windows XP Professional Edition with all patches and updates from MS.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Lincoln
Collapse

Dimitrios Papantoniou
Dimitrios Papantoniou  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:14
English to Greek
+ ...
background repagination? May 10, 2007

Wordfast usually acts the same for me. It does not max out my pc, but winword.exe is usually at 80% of CPU. I am not sure what the problem is, but one thing i have noticed is that it is lightning fast if i have small 1-2 or even 10 page documents. The more the pages, the more the CPU strain. A thing you should look at, is disabling background page repagination in word options. In my case, although i have it disabled, it seems that something is done in the background, because otherwise the differ... See more
Wordfast usually acts the same for me. It does not max out my pc, but winword.exe is usually at 80% of CPU. I am not sure what the problem is, but one thing i have noticed is that it is lightning fast if i have small 1-2 or even 10 page documents. The more the pages, the more the CPU strain. A thing you should look at, is disabling background page repagination in word options. In my case, although i have it disabled, it seems that something is done in the background, because otherwise the difference in speed based on document size would not be justified (Wf would need the same time to write a segment in TM and check the next when i click next segment, so it must be something to do with how word handles segments).
Apart from that
a) search the Wf mailing list
b) try reinstalling word.
c) Ram is ok, but your CPU is not exactly at the cutting edge of technology
Collapse

Lincoln Silveira (X)
Lincoln Silveira (X)
Brazil
Local time: 03:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
B.R. already disabled May 10, 2007

Dimitrios,

First of all, thanks for taking the time.

Background repagination is already disabled in Word.

As for the CPU constraint, I'm well aware of it. Interestingly, the problem seems worse in this machine (the P4) than it does in my other computer, a 1.6 Ghz Pentium M Toshiba laptop with 512 Mb ram.

As far as I know, Pentium M's are essentialy P3's tailored for mobility, and would therefore sport less computing power than a P4. However, th
... See more
Dimitrios,

First of all, thanks for taking the time.

Background repagination is already disabled in Word.

As for the CPU constraint, I'm well aware of it. Interestingly, the problem seems worse in this machine (the P4) than it does in my other computer, a 1.6 Ghz Pentium M Toshiba laptop with 512 Mb ram.

As far as I know, Pentium M's are essentialy P3's tailored for mobility, and would therefore sport less computing power than a P4. However, the Pentium M works noticeably better than the P4 when it comes to handling Word/WF.

Thanks again for the comment.

LS
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast seemingly hogging on computer resources

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »