Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:23
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Apr 18, 2007

Hello,

Is there any way to compile a glossary with wildcards? What I mean is with most slavonic languages many words have slightly different endings depending on case etc but they are the same in English, is there any way of avoiding putting in several slavonic words with differing endings which all mean the same in English?

In other words is there any way to put one slavonic word which encompasses all the possible forms/cases etc?

thanks!

Mih
... See more
Hello,

Is there any way to compile a glossary with wildcards? What I mean is with most slavonic languages many words have slightly different endings depending on case etc but they are the same in English, is there any way of avoiding putting in several slavonic words with differing endings which all mean the same in English?

In other words is there any way to put one slavonic word which encompasses all the possible forms/cases etc?

thanks!

Mihailo
Collapse

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:23
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Apr 18, 2007

If you mean creating a dictionary entry, of course it’s possible and many dictionaries are built that way. You insert some type of separator between the root and the endings, for example:

больш//ой, ~ая, ~ое ... etc.

CroAnglo
CroAnglo
United States
Local time: 05:23
English to Croatian
+ ...
Of course Apr 18, 2007

It is not necessary to put all the forms of a word if you are creating a dictionary, but in case of translation where target language is one of the slavic languages you would have to know the endings for every case (in Croatian there are 7 cases).
However, if you learn endings for one word (e.g., cro. KUĆA = engl. house), you would be able to change other words (of the same gender) too.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:23
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Wildcards Apr 18, 2007

Hi Mihailo,

In wordfast glossaries you can use a wildcard * to replace endings. I use it for Polish words, however, I seem to get better results setting glossary search to "fuzzy" - it then finds the word regardless the ending (well, most of the time )

HTH,
Magda

Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:23
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone Apr 18, 2007

At the moment I am using Magda's wildcard suggestion by putting an asterisk at the end of a word e.g

velik* big
mal* small

etc

seems to work fine so far!

Good night!

Mihailo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Slavonic to English glossary queries

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »