Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apr 15, 2007

This morning, when merging a new TM to my main-TM, I looked a little more closely at those entries in my Wordfast TM.
I use this TM since 2004. The source language is FI-01 and the target language DE-DE.
When I looked through these 11000 TUs, I noticed, that at many instances the language demarkers had been switched. The TUs themselves were in the proper order, first the Finnish, then the German, but in front of the Finnish segment was DE-DE, and in front of the German segment was FI
... See more
This morning, when merging a new TM to my main-TM, I looked a little more closely at those entries in my Wordfast TM.
I use this TM since 2004. The source language is FI-01 and the target language DE-DE.
When I looked through these 11000 TUs, I noticed, that at many instances the language demarkers had been switched. The TUs themselves were in the proper order, first the Finnish, then the German, but in front of the Finnish segment was DE-DE, and in front of the German segment was FI-FI. So not even FI-01, but FI-FI.
It was very strange, from the date-field it was obvious that this ominous switch had taken place with the same files at the same hour as those rows which were properly demarked as FI-01 and DE-DE. At least 1000 TUs were switched in this fashion throughout the three years of use.
Now I mended this TM and all is ok now. But I wonder what is the reason for this strange behaviour of Wordfast. Is it important at all or does Wf look only at the first row of the TM, where the language order is described?

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 07:53
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Huh?!... Apr 15, 2007

The switched segments, are they created in time in a single sequence, or are they interspersed with "correct" segments? Iow, could it be one single WordFast session (or a few) with this anomalous behavior?

Could it be some spurious import - of a tmx or similar, standing on its head?

regards

smo

[Edited at 2007-04-15 19:58]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only the language code is switched Apr 16, 2007

These segments were all about the 11000 TU file, created at the same hour and minute as the correct entries below and above.
Could it be that Wf cannot handle when one goes backwards through the file with alt+up? I do that regularly when I see I have to correct some earlier translated segment.
My other TMs are ok, though.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 07:53
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No idea... Apr 16, 2007

... but if it is a single occurrence, it could be a kind of 3*sigma event - I had cases where fast typing resulted in some mysterious unpublished, unsupported back door accelerator being seen by the program - imagine Shift-Alt-Ctrl-S to switch the languages. Which, btw, I would expect from Word, but not from Wordfast.

But then again, who th knows...

Grüsse nach Finnland

[Edited at 2007-04-16 06:32]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mysteriously switched TUs

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »