Harriet Reignier (X)
Harriet Reignier (X)
France
Local time: 07:32
French to German
+ ...
Mar 7, 2007

Hello everybody!
I use the most recent version of wordfast on a Macintosh OS X. In previous discussions in this forum I read that using Trados TMs converted into TMX-formats is possible in wordfast (Macintosh). However, I encounter the following problem:
Wordfast automatically converts the tmx-file into its own format (.txt) but some some signs like accents, the letter ß etc. are not displayed properly (not all of them, though, for example the letter "ü" is shown "Ÿ" but "é" is
... See more
Hello everybody!
I use the most recent version of wordfast on a Macintosh OS X. In previous discussions in this forum I read that using Trados TMs converted into TMX-formats is possible in wordfast (Macintosh). However, I encounter the following problem:
Wordfast automatically converts the tmx-file into its own format (.txt) but some some signs like accents, the letter ß etc. are not displayed properly (not all of them, though, for example the letter "ü" is shown "Ÿ" but "é" is shown propperly...).
I tried various conversions (with Textedit on Mac) of the initial tmx-file into different unicode-formats (utf 8, utf 16) but either wordfast refuses to use these converted files, or accepts but deletes the content.
I also tried what David suggested in a former message (nov 23, 2006), i.e. saving the tmx-file on a PC and reconverting it to a .txt-file on the Macintosh. It did not work (signs remained as described above).

Maybe somebody knows what to do ?

Harriet
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Try Olifant Mar 7, 2007

HHR wrote:

Hello everybody!
Wordfast automatically converts the tmx-file into its own format (.txt) but some some signs like accents, the letter ß etc. are not displayed properly (not all of them, though, for example the letter "ü" is shown "Ÿ" but "é" is shown propperly...).
I tried various conversions (with Textedit on Mac) of the initial tmx-file into different unicode-formats (utf 8, utf 16) but either wordfast refuses to use these converted files, or accepts but deletes the content.
I also tried what David suggested in a former message (nov 23, 2006), i.e. saving the tmx-file on a PC and reconverting it to a .txt-file on the Macintosh. It did not work (signs remained as described above).

Maybe somebody knows what to do ?

Harriet

Hello Harriet,

I would download Olifant and use it to convert your TMs. I've come across similar problems in the past and found that Olifant works well. It is free and can be downloaded at: http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

Hope this helps,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer

Harriet Reignier (X)
Harriet Reignier (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Olifant on Macintosh? Mar 7, 2007

Hello John,

Thank you very much for your suggestion but are you sure one can use Olifant on a Macintosh? I have had a look on their webpage and they specify the programme is a windows application.

Harriet

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
WF problem Mar 7, 2007

Harriet

As I see it, this is a issue with WF. If WF refuses to open proper TMX files, or corrupts them in some way, then there's probably not much you can do, maybe file a bug report at www.wordfast.net .

Olifant will surely not run on a Mac. You can try to use CSVConverter, a java application that converts comma (or tab) separated files into TMX, and runs on any platform that supports J
... See more
Harriet

As I see it, this is a issue with WF. If WF refuses to open proper TMX files, or corrupts them in some way, then there's probably not much you can do, maybe file a bug report at www.wordfast.net .

Olifant will surely not run on a Mac. You can try to use CSVConverter, a java application that converts comma (or tab) separated files into TMX, and runs on any platform that supports Java.

Sonja
Collapse

Harriet Reignier (X)
Harriet Reignier (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Probably a bug Mar 7, 2007

Thank you for your advice, Sonja. Unfortunately, nothing worked out so far. I guess it really is a bug and will file a report as you suggested.

Harriet

[Bearbeitet am 2007-03-07 18:03]

Irene Elmerot
Irene Elmerot  Identity Verified
Dutch to Swedish
+ ...
You and me both! Mar 22, 2007

Dear Harriet,
I asked this on the Wf yahoo list a couple of weeks back, and got a reply, but that didn't work out either, using Text Wrangler. I usually just send my uncleanad files to the agency, but I'd also like to know how to transform the .txt into .tmx.

There is a tmx editor in Heartsome ( a CAT application), but I haven't had the time to try it out properly yet.

So I'm also waiting for a good reply on this one...
See more
Dear Harriet,
I asked this on the Wf yahoo list a couple of weeks back, and got a reply, but that didn't work out either, using Text Wrangler. I usually just send my uncleanad files to the agency, but I'd also like to know how to transform the .txt into .tmx.

There is a tmx editor in Heartsome ( a CAT application), but I haven't had the time to try it out properly yet.

So I'm also waiting for a good reply on this one

Kind regards,
/Irene
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Trados-TMs in Wordfast on Macintosh

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »