Thread poster: neilmac
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 00:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 15, 2015

I'm installing Dragon NS version 13 and during the process, it asks if I want to remove Visual Basic C++ runtime. As I have no idea what that is, even after googling it, I wonder if it will affect Wordfast if I uninstall it? I seem to remember some sort of "Visual basic" thing going on with WF.
I'm using Windows 7 and Office 2010 on this PC.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
I would say don't remove it Dec 15, 2015

Visual Basic definitely has something to do with Wordfast... as a quick reply to be on the safe side (until Dominique sees this) I'd say don't remove it!

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Microsoft Visual C++ Dec 15, 2015

Can it be that this is Microsoft Visual C++?

It's my understanding that Wf Classic (if that's what you are talking about) is written entirely in Microsoft Visual Basic. So perhaps removing the runtime is safe?

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fait accompli Dec 15, 2015

Thanks for the advice guys. However, although I don't recall clicking on the OK button, Dragon seems to have removed it anyway. But I installed Dragon and set it up, then ran an old document through WF (I don't have any new untranslated texts to try it out right now) and Wordfast seems to be working okay.

If any blips turn up in the next few days, I'll post again.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:29
German to English
+ ...
Perhaps safe to remove Dec 15, 2015

I believe WordFast Classic is written in the programming language VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) which is presumably not the same as VB C++ since VBA is a programming language and C++ is a different programming language. A "runtime" is a package of program routines that actually carry out (at runtime, i.e. when the program runs) many of the actions requested by the programmer in writing the program in the language for which the runtime is provided.
It may be of interest to ask the sup
... See more
I believe WordFast Classic is written in the programming language VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) which is presumably not the same as VB C++ since VBA is a programming language and C++ is a different programming language. A "runtime" is a package of program routines that actually carry out (at runtime, i.e. when the program runs) many of the actions requested by the programmer in writing the program in the language for which the runtime is provided.
It may be of interest to ask the supplier of the Dragon package why the removal of this runtime is suggested and what, if anything, would then replace it.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:29
Finnish to French
Probably safe Dec 15, 2015

I think you can safely remove the Visual C++ thing. In the unlikely event if affects Wordfast Classic, all you need to do is reinstall your copy of Office. With that, you will get a pristine VBA setup, which is what Wordfast needs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Classic compatibility query

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »